Need help XPS 410 Floppy Disk Not Found in Hardware Xp Media Center Edition.

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Need help XPS 410 Floppy Disk Not Found in Hardware Xp Media Center Edition.

• I recently bought a used XPS 410 on ebay.

I have been rapidly upgrading it since.

I wanted to install a floppy disk so I bought a new one and hooked it all up.

Its like I never even put it in there.

So I get an exchange and it still cant find it.

Tried a different cable still nothing.

So I hook it up in an old GX110 and it works fine cable and all.

Is there something I'm missing?

Maybe a download?

Its driving me bananas!

Please Help!

• Did you set the Diskette Drive to Internal in BIOS setup?

Dell Forum member since 2005

• No its saying its not installed like its not even there.

• I've never seen the XPS 410 BIOS setup, so I can only speak in general.  The entry for the diskette drive should be user changeable because legacy diskette drives are not plug and play.  If you check this forum for "Seek Error on Diskette Drive" you should come up with a number of posts in which users are complaining that they see this error even without a diskette drive installed.

For the drive you are trying to install, the setting should be "Internal".  The later model Dells I have seen also have "Off" and "USB".  If the setting you have found cannot be changed, look around in the BIOS a bit to see if you can find another that will change.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• Hi Kevin.

Sorry to barge in jackshack. Kevin here is the manual to flash an upgraded BIOS and then to enter the BIOS setup:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055083

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055104

you have to look for Drives. In it has to say "Internal". change it if not. 

Drives

Diskette Drive

Identifies and defines the floppy drive attached to the FLOPPY connector on the system board. The options restrict identification of drives to USB only, Internal only, or none (Off). The Read Only option restricts the ability to boot from any floppy device.

SATA 0 through 5

Identifies the drives attached to the SATA connectors on the system board, and lists the capacity for hard drives.

SATA Operation

Identifies and defines the SATA controller settings for RAID. You can set the SATA controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA or RAID On.

Hope it helps.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF28

Avast!Free 9. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• Thank you both very much. I was able to figure out what basically both of you were saying and make the floppy disk setting in the bios into internal because it was set on noninstalled. Thanks