My Dell Demsion Won't Power On

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

My Dell Demsion Won't Power On

• My Dell Demsion won't power on.  I just turned it off one night and the next day it wouldn't power on.  No warning what so ever.  After a couple of days, it finally powered on.  I have changed the power strip, and checked the power to the outlet.  It has to be something with the computer.   I turned it off again, and now it won't power on again.   Any ideas.  Is there a way to reset it?  Help!

• Hello,

We need you to tell us your model number.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• Ok, I don't have it sitting by me, but I believe it is a Dell Demsion 5100

• Hi Michelle,

would be senseful to check whether the power supply fan is still running , whem you press the power button.

Also a closer look to the power button would help. is the button flashing amber ?

For further troubleshoot you should check out this

• Smirking a bit, when I say it won't power on that is exactly what I mean.  There is nothing!  No fan running, no light on the power button itself, no indication what so ever of life, no sound of any kind, nothing, the on/off button is working, checked that.  It is not the outlet itself as other things do work out of the same outlet and the power surge is ok. Last week it did this.  I let it sit for two days and pushed the power button and it came on.  This time it does not want to come on.

• Hello again,

This link to your system information might help.

With what you describe, it sounds as if your power supply has failed. But first, unplug the system, open it up and check each and every cable connection inside the system by unplugging and reconnecting them. Also for good measure, unseat and reseat all add in cards, and the memory.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE!!

Plug the system back in and look for any led lights on the motherboard. Got lights? Try to start the system. Tell us what happens.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14

• Thank you again, but I have already tried ALL that.  I really am looking for a last stitch effort to make it power on.  The power supply is what I suspect.  Where is that located, and can it be replaced, or am I better off just getting a new computer?  Thanks again.  Or, if my computer is formally dead, how do I take out the hard drive in order to get my information?  Thanks.

• Hello again,

Yes the power supply can be replaced.

I already gave you a link that will show you where the Power Supply is and how to replace it. The link will also show you how to remove the hard drive.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
    Toshiba Tecra M1

• Thank you. I was able to remove the power supply. I will replace that and see what happens.

• What happens when you get the GREEN light on the motherboard?  My dell dimension 2350 won't power on either but i do get a green light on the motherboard and the lights on the keyboard blink. 

• bibskcchiefs

What happens when you get the GREEN light on the motherboard?  My dell dimension 2350 won't power on either but i do get a green light on the motherboard and the lights on the keyboard blink. 

Hello,

You will need to ask this in your own question thread.

I don't mean to be rude, but no one will see it as the last message of a long thread about something else. You can ask your question here. Look top left for a small text link, "Start A New Thread" click it and ask away. Include your system information and model number.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
    Toshiba Tecra M1