Reformatting a Inspiron 2200 Laptop

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Reformatting a Inspiron 2200 Laptop

• Hello... I need help in reformatting an Inspiron 2200 Laptop.  From a previous attempt, I know it cannot be done by rebooting and pressing a F Function Key. There is a file available for download that I need but I do not recall the name or location of that file. If anyone knows this information, please respond. Thank you.

George

• Unless a manual install or alteration of the drive was done, it CAN be done with a key sequence - CTRL-F11.  If that doesn't work you'll need to do the job manually - boot your Wndows CD, install Windows, and then install the Dell Notebook system software and chipset driver, followed by all other required drivers.

• Hello,

It sounds as if the the file that Dell installs to restore your system does not work.

You will need to download all the files listed below that match your system hardware. You can find the downloads here. the notebook systems file, and then the chipset files 'must be' installed right after windows is done installing

If so, you will need the Dell reinstall CD. Just start the system using the reinstall CD, remove all partitions, make new partitions and format the drive.

Then install Windows. And follow the correct order for install as I list below.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
    Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    9. Other Devices
    * Bluetooth Module
    This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
    This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
    This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.
    Helping Dell Customers here since 1997
    Darrell's computer help and information web site
    My Dell systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Bought long ago before this forum existed
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Upgraded and still working perfectly
    Dimension 9150 - Just arrived from Dell dfsdirectsales.com Refurbished!
    Pent D 3.2GHz, 2GB dual-channel 533 DDR2
    Windows XP pro SP3
    Add your system information or other signature to your forum posts using my instructions HERE

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!