How can I tell if my desktop is wireless enabled?

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

How can I tell if my desktop is wireless enabled?

• Hi - I have a nearly 3yr old Dell Dimension 5150 running WinXP.  How can I tell if it's wireless enabled?

It came with a wireless mouse and keyboard.

thanks....

• Hello,

Do the mouse and keyboard both work?

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998
    Darrell's computer help and information web site
    My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• Yes, but the seemingly very knowledgeable guy at PC World told me this doesn't necessarily mean that the PC itself is wireless enabled and that it was unlikely that it would be so I'm just wondering how I can find out from my PC itself whether it is or not.  Thanks.

• Are you looking to see if you can access a wireless network, or other devices?

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14

• I'm looking to install a wireless router. If my PC is already wireless enabled I won't need to purchase an adaptor at the same time.  If not, I'll need the adaptor.  Once the wireless router is installed, I'll be using it for my desktop, a laptop, a PS3 and a Nintendo Wii.  Have been told I'll need to install the wireless router first so need to know which package to buy (ie one with or without the required adaptor).  Thanks.

• Hello again,

I understand more of what you want to know.

Look on the back of the system. Is There a PCI card installed with an antenna sticking out?

Go to "Device Manager", look and see what is listed under "Network Adapters". Report back what you find.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
    Toshiba Tecra M1

• Hi!

I've looked on the back of the PC and externally I can't see a PCI card (although to be honest I don't really know what one would look like!)  But there is definitely no antenna sticking out.  I can see through the grilles at the back at the circuitry and again, can't see any antenna.

Device Manager, Network Adapters says:

- Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (the properties of which then say .... location PCI bus 3, device 8, function 0)

- Zoom USB ADSL WAN Adapter (which is my current USB broadband router/modem I assume)

I noticed on my Control Panel I also have a Wireless Network Setup Wizard, but presume this doesn't necessarily mean I'm already wireless enabled......just that this Wizard will guide me through how to become wireless enabled.

If the above makes sense to you and you can conclude from that I'm NOT wireless enabled then I wonder if you would bear with me even further and perhaps give me some advice on the type/brand or criteria I should be looking for in a wireless router and adapter? 

PC World guy recommended a Netgear RangeMax, details of which are at the link below.  Apparantly I mustn't get a "cable" type one as I get my broadband through my telephone line instead.  I'm in a 4 bedroom house, (2 floors including the ground), all over which my equipment will be located (ie PS3 - living room, desktop - upstairs office, Wii - downstairs bedroom; laptop - anywhere in the house).  The PS3 and Wii be here for Christmas so would like to be prepared PC techno wise to be able to play with them from Xmas Day without any glitches.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1914494741.1228055533@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdfadefldehdghcflgceggdhhmdfof.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=174210&category_oid=

This comes with a wireless adapter and works with your current ADSL modem I think.

OR, would I be better with their Wireless N instead which replaces your current ADSL modem.  Not sure if there is an adaptor built in or included though.  Link to it below.  The cost is not my highest factor.  I just want something that will work, is fast, can cope with all the things I want to connect it to etc.  It's unlikely I'd be playing games online though.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgn2000.php

Really appreciate your help and advice in any area.....thanks....Celine