Error Code 1000-0146

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Error Code 1000-0146

• Can anybody please help?

Without success, I've tried to install "windos xp home" on my Dell Latitue D 600 laptop. Each time the installation procedure stopped just  before finishing and the computer said that it couldn't find several dll-files.

Then I've tried the F12 key when starting the laptop and running Diagnostics. Here is what I've got:

- CPU Time stamp calibration: pass

- PM Timer 1: pass

- PIC functionality test: pass

- A20 Gate test: pass

- Start "DST Short test": failed.

That error message appeared each time I ran Diagnostics. The error code is 1000-0146. And the error message says: Unit 0: DST Log contains previous errors.

What does that error code 1000-0146 mean? Can I do anything - short of recycling the computer to the eternal flow of things?

Thank you for your help!

Konrahel

• From researching your error code, it looks like your hard drive failed.

Welcome to Dell Community Forum!

Rick

Inspiron B130
    Windows XP SP3
    Total Physical Memory 1,024 MB
    Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910ML Express Chipset

If you are having a Printer Problem, please make a NEW Forum Post with Operating System, Make and Model of Printer and how the printer is connected. Thanks.

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi Rick! Thank you very much. 

I will stop trying to install XP. Maybe I'll find a way to have the hard disk fixed.

Kindest regards

Konrahel

• Hard Drives are very easy to install in Laptops. See page 22 in the Latitude D 600 Manual.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• PudgyOne

Hard Drives are very easy to install in Laptops. See page 22 in the Latitude D 600 Manual.

Rick

Easy to replace is one issue. Getting one is another. If I am not mistaken then this laptop has a 2.5" 9.5mm high EIDE/PATA drive (standard in old laptops). Since these are now obsolete the availability of new drives seems to have taken a dive come 2011. And as a result the price is rising.

My input is to get the highest capacity drive available today at an economic price. But buy it today, tomorrow there may be none or the price will have escalated.

• Enceladus,

This thread is 2 1/2 years old. Did you try lookinf HERE?

Rick

#DellRockStar