Dell Inspiron 9100 Gaming?

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

Dell Inspiron 9100 Gaming?

• I have purchased a Dell Inspiron 9100 (currently in production) and wondered what I can expect in term ofs the performance of games, such as Far Cry or any other new High Spec games. Also will it be possible to play C&C Generals as I have read about problems with Westwood games on this forum.

Dell Inspiron 9100

3.2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 HT

15.4" Widescreen SXGA+ TFT

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB 8x AGP

60GB Hard Drive

512MB 400MHz DDR RAM

• I am not having any trouble playing games like call of duty,battlefield,max payne.  I've been playing fry cry a lot this week,just got it.  Online play is good, wireless to boot.  Single player at times seem a little sluggish.  However it runs smooth with my 4600 system.  Different Vid card.  Overall I am very happy except for the battery life

Cheers

• playing c&c generals is fine w/ the 9100, i've been playing it on this machine for about 1 week without problems and it looks great.  I've only download the far cry demo and while I haven't played it too many times, I haven't had problems with it.  Unreal Tournament 2004 looks awesome.

--------------------

Inspiron 9100

3.0Ghz P4 w/ HT/15.4" wsxga/512DDR/128mb Mobility Radeon 9700/60GB HD/DVD+rw

• At what resolution are you playing your games at?

Many of my old games do not have a wide screen resolution...so the outcome is this really stretched and warped screen.

I have C&C Generals, do most of the new games have a resolution for wide screen?

Keep me updated

Thanks!

• I can get C&C generals only to 1024X768.  I have a wsxga screen so i just have my video card scale the image while keeping the aspect ratio.  This ends up having vertical black bars on the sides- it's bearable and it still looks fine/unstretched.  Unreal Tournament 2004 supports widescreen displays and looks very nice. 

• I play single player far cry with a resolution of 1280 x 800 and all video settings are the highest possible and it works pretty muhc perfect. It does feel a little sluggish but that might actualy be my mouse sensitivity and/or me getting use to how the game plays.

i also palyed rainbow six 3, halo, cs and splinter cell 2, all on their highest video settings and they all work perfectly fine.

• you are freaking kidding me. i have everything you have (except i have a 64mb RM9700 and 512mb of RAM. but you would think it would still be able to run SOMETHING better than what im getting) and as of late, EVERYTHING i try to play is terrible. warcraft3, doom3, ut2004, morrowind, even freaking serious sam....it's all AWFUL (these are all on medium settings). no i dont have anything running in the background except for norton stuff.

i have the omega drivers, overclocking with radlinker just jacks the comp up even more. the best score ive gotton on 3Dmark03 is 2800-something.

somebody PLEASE tell me why this laptop is so terrible. please tell me how your laptop can perform the way it does and mine is just crapping all over me. im DYING to play my games at blazing fast speeds and dont want to pay for the 9800 256mb and get raped by dell with a splintered plunger handle.

Message Edited by DukeEdwardI on 02-28-2005 12:32 AM

• Get the 9800 video card upgrade you wont regret it it is a drastic improvement.

Inspiron XPS
    3.4 H/T processor
    1 gig ram
    256 ddr ati 9800
    15.4 wide aspect ultra sharp
    wuxga(1920x1200) display
    Operating system windows xp home
    Service pk 2
    Logitech MX750 wireless mouse
    Nostromo n52 gamepad

Desktop

Alienware Area 51ALX  BLK

CPU ii960 Windoes 7 64 bit

2XHD5870 Crossfire 12 Gigs Ram

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

XPS1710 7900 GTX  CPU 2.0  200 Gig HD 4 Gigs Ram  350 Bluetooth 3945 ABG CD/DVD Burner Windows XP Pro with Docking station and creative PCMCIA sound card with the dock option

• yeah, i know. i should buy that dang card. two things though:

1)i definetly CANNOT afford the 9800 and its impossible to get it from dell (from what ive read).

2)i want to know why my computer is acting like this when others in the forums have got their's at least running ut2004 pretty good.

i know i need to upgrade, i just dont want to have to upgrade if i can fix what's going on here.

(or maybe a memory upgrade from 512MB to 1GB would be good enough?)
  • For one thing the sweet spot for gaming is 1 gig of ram also make sure you are not having heat issues also.Blast the rear vents with caned air also press Fn+z+R which will bring up the thermal control page and make sure you dont have any fan failures.Also make sure you use the a driver cleaner tool before instaling video drivers you can download one at www.driverheaven.net also make sure you are runing the latest flash bios.I have seen quite a few XPS/9100 owners think they were having driver issues and it being heat issues. Good Luck  

Inspiron XPS
    3.4 H/T processor
    1 gig ram
    256 ddr ati 9800
    wuxga(1920x1200) display
    Service pk 2
    Nostromo n52 gamepad

Desktop

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

XPS1710 7900 GTX  CPU 2.0  200 Gig HD 4 Gigs Ram  350 Bluetooth 3945 ABG CD/DVD Burner Windows XP Pro with Docking station and creative PCMCIA sound card with the dock option

• this fan page really confuses me. i cant tell if any of the fans are not working or not. i do know that the fans are running extremely loud all the time. almost like i got a desktop fan in here.

could somebody explain the fan page to me and how to set it so i can get the best performance out of my 9100?
  • Go to the thermal control page and look through it.Look under fan failures if it does not show any you are ok. Make sure you are runing the latest flash bios i read that it had a fix for the fan speeds.

Inspiron XPS
    3.4 H/T processor
    1 gig ram
    256 ddr ati 9800
    wuxga(1920x1200) display
    Service pk 2
    Nostromo n52 gamepad

Desktop

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

• ok, under fan failure it reads "record 80 log 80". is that a good thing?

i have the latest flash bios from dell i believe. A05 i think it is?
  • No that is not a good thing it meanes you are having heat issues due to your fans not operating right contact cell and make them aware of the fan failures.

Inspiron XPS
    3.4 H/T processor
    1 gig ram
    256 ddr ati 9800
    wuxga(1920x1200) display
    Service pk 2
    Nostromo n52 gamepad

Desktop

2 X 1TB HD in Raid

CD/DVD/BD Burner O8 Bios

Laptop

• ok sir, i thank you kindly for all your help.

it in fact, was a heat/fan block problem. i blew on the fans and cumulonimbus dust clouds swarmed my room for hours to come. because of that dust, the fans were not cooling down the hardware so it limited itself. after creating a dust storm from my room, i turned my computer back on and now the things fans dont kick in and i can play my games at a very normal speed now. i havent tested anything higher yet, but im just happy things are running smoothly again. i plan to upgrade the 512mb of RAM to 1GB as well. i believe that should improve performance. somebody let me know if they think that will help out a substantial amount.

moral lesson: to all of you who have/will have a Dell laptop, buy a cooling pad. that is what im going to do to ensure that another fan doesnt up and die. ive read many good things about people who use cooling pads and i think i would benefit from the use. thank you for all the help.