Please Help: Dell XPS 720H2C CPU & Video Upgrade Options

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

Please Help: Dell XPS 720H2C CPU & Video Upgrade Options

• I inherited an XPS 720H2c from a friend so I'm curious to know what my options are in terms of upgrading a few key components.

1. RAM: I know it supports up to 8GB so that's a no brainer.
    2. Video Card: The original cards were removed so I never got them but its got a 1kW power supply.
    3. CPU: I currently have a Quad Core 2 Extreme QX6700 but will any LGA775 processor work?

I've checked out the online manual but its not clear about processor compatibility or the video card requirements/limitations etc.  I've scoured the forums and I do see many references to the QX6850 but is that as good as it gets?

As for the video cards, I'm seeking recommendations for cards that will work on the XPS 720, preferably without using an adapter.  I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like to play Crysis and StarCraft II every now and then, and plan on playing DIablo III and Star Wars The Old Republis.  I'm partial to nVidia so I was thinking a pair of 480's, 570's or 580's.  Thoughts?

Many thanks to all for your expert advice and opinions!

Resources

• Honestly, when you have an older system with a 775 board, it is never cost effective to upgrade the CPU.  The QX6700 is good enough for anything you would want to do including gaming and you will just not benefit much especially with the high cost of these older CPUs.  Your focus should be on the video card since you don't have one right now.  However, since you are not a hardcore gamer, you do not need two video cards and just one will do it.  Again, looking to keep costs down for an older system, I would look at the GTX 560 Ti HERE.  The "AR" model will have a lifetime warranty as long as you register it.   I really would not see the point of getting a GTX 570 or 580.  

I don't know how much ram you have, but if you are just running a 32-bit operating system, then 4GB is all you can use which will be enough anyway.  If you have a 64-bit OS, then you could upgrade to 8GB if you want.  Older DDR2 memory just costs a lot more than the newer DDR3 today.  DDR3 is dirt cheap.  

• Thanks for the reply.

I picked up some GTX 560 Ti 448's.

However I'm still curious about where CPU wise this system can go.

• QX6700
    QX6800
    QX6850

I would believe to be the top end.

Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6850 (8M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

This is a VERY expensive part.

Processor Number
    QX6850
    # of Cores
    # of Threads
    Clock Speed
    3 GHz
    L2 Cache
    8 MB
    Bus/Core Ratio
    FSB Speed
    1333 MHz
    FSB Parity
    No
    Instruction Set
    64-bit
    Embedded Options Available
    No
    Supplemental SKU
    No
    Lithography
    65 nm
    Max TDP
    130 W
    VID Voltage Range
    0.8500V-1.5V
     Price
    $970

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I have the same desktop and I'm looking at the same issue. Is a "Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6M L2 Cache 1333MHz LGA775 Desktop Processor" compatible with this system? It would be a much less expensive option.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

• Gamer0022

I have the same desktop and I'm looking at the same issue. Is a "Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6M L2 Cache 1333MHz LGA775 Desktop Processor" compatible with this system? It would be a much less expensive option.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Gamer0022

Yes.

Prior to installing the processor, check that the latest BIOS version A06 is installed, when support for new Intel cpus was added.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thank very much for the info!

• Gamer0022

You are welcome.  Yes
    Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hey Bev -  can you link to the documentation that covers which processors are supported?

For what its worth, the A06 BIOS update for the 720 can be found here:
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=CJCKM