CPU upgrade for the M1730

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

CPU upgrade for the M1730

• So, this is the secondth time I've been unable to answer a technical question on my own, this makes me sad... But I'll live.

The problem is the following.

I've begun playing the Battlefield Bad Company 2 beta quite a bit and I've recently found that my lacking FPS is caused by my somewhat outdated CPU, which I really should have concluded earlier, but spilled milk and all that. So I've been looking into upgrading and quite honestly, I have no idea what my options even are. I've been unable to find any compatibility related sites that could even as much as inform me what current CPUs are suited for my machine, so here I am, asking people far wiser, more clever, and most likely better looking than my self.

As said above, my computer is a Dell XPS M1730 and to my knowledge they all have the same Mobos which should make it easy, however as said, it hasn't been.

I appreciate any help you can give.

• Welcome to the forums Yes

I actually answered this question in another thread back in April 2009 - in which I said:

... the XPS M1730's being offered on the [Dell] US site, can be specified with up to a Core2Duo Extreme X9000 @ 2.8GHz (for a price!) - or a T9500 @ 2.6GHz.

But you should read the comments in this Notebook Review forums thread as well (the last post particularly), for additional info on the subject.

It would appear a T8300/T9300 would be your (/our) best options Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• After some additional searching I came to the same conclusion, which honestly makes me feel like quite an idiot for getting the M1730. Without quad core or i7 compatibility it instantly loses it's worth as a gaming machine, but none the less, thank you for your response. I will now go sulk in a corner.

• Buiscki

Without quad core or i7 compatibility it instantly loses it's worth as a gaming machine...

I wouldn't go that far Surprise

For sure, it would be a real bonus if we could upgrade to a quad-core or - better still - an i3/i5/i7 CPU. 

But it's often not possible in any laptop ... nor sometimes even in a desktop system. 

Depending on when you bought it - and what upgrade options it offers, even upgrading to a newer, faster CPU in a desktop system, could well mean having to upgrade the motherboard as well?

The XPS M1730 is still a very capable gaming laptop.

Sadly though - whilst a gaming laptops like our XPS M1730's might be a top-of-the-line machine for a while...they're never going to be the 'doggies danglies' for very long, given the speed at which games/graphics are moving on these days.

We just have to accept therefore, that we'll probably not be able to play/run all the latest games, with all the visuals cranked up - like we're used to Sad

What CPU and graphics does yours have btw?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• I know this is a really late post however just incase someone else has one of these Beasts in their possession and is wondering what kinda upgrades they can put in it, here goes.

I have recently installed some upgrades to my laptop to give it a power boost. below is a list of stock parts and what I upgraded to

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 @ 2.40GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 256MB(512mb total) NVidia 8700M GT cards in SLI + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    500GB SATA II (2x 320GB Seagate 7200rpm)

Pretty much those are the core components. As it is well known you can overclock your cpu on an M1730 if it is running stock 2.8ghz.This is done in the bios where a menu option becomes available once u have a 2.8ghz cpu installed. So I purchased an Intel Core 2 Extreme x7900 2.8ghz. Now i can Overclock it upto 3.4ghz (the fans get somewhat loud and it will heat up quite a bit). I tend to keep it @ 3.0ghz when I’m mobile and ramp it up to 3.4ghz when I’m gaming with it.(a cooling pad is required if overclocking to 3.4ghz) here’s my cooling pad: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997410

I upgrade the memory to 2x 4GB(8GB total). The default clock on the memory is 800mhz but the system can only handle 667 so kinda of a bummer but its 8GB i don’t care 2 much. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220382

I upgraded my video card to a  Dual NVidia 9800m GTX 1024MB . So 2gb total video memory in SLI mode.  plus I’m overclocking the video card using  afterburner from MSI .The stock settings core:500mhz Shader:1250mhz memory:800mhz   TO: Core:600mhz Shader:1425 Memory: 900. Mind you I only overclock if i have my cooling pad under this thing. I don’t wanna overheat it and burn it out.

Lastly I upgrade my 2x 250gb 7200rpm drives I swapped out for 2x 100gb SSD OCZ Vertex LE in a raid 0 array. Price tag 325 at the time. Now down to 295. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227508

Also i upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit (depending on what MS Windows your running you'll max out between 3.2gbs of memory & 4gbs on a 32bit system) system load super fast now. under 1 minuet from a cold boot. This is slowed partly due to me adding in a bios password otherwise it might be down around 30secs.

Just in case anyone is wondering about the video card and the cpu. I got the cpu for $325 on eBay and the video card for about $620 on eBay as well. Also for those individuals that are wondering why i didn’t sell my machine and just get a new one well, I did this over a period of about 8months. I didn’t have the cash up front get a new machine then sell this one off. Maybe in a year or so once the warranty is out I'll get a new machine and sell this one.

• Thanks for the detailed report.  Good work!

I have the same basic machine as was yours.

Do I have to switch to Windows 7 to get the machine to recognize the additional 4 Gbs of RAM?

I use mine for Photoshop and 3d Design work (3ds Max) and in 3d I fight visual artifacts. Lots of screen refreshes to clear the screen of unwanted image fragments. Do you have any suggestions for how to set the default V-Cards so the images do not remain on the screen when they are not supposed to be there?

I also have the T7700. For the work I'm doing (not gaming) does it make an sense to upgrade like you did?

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Hey there Pruez, if your running windows  vista 32bit. then the limit is capped at 4gbs. If you want to get over the 4gb hump you will need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system. Here's a link from Microsoft on their Operating system limits. You can get windows 7 64bit Ultimate OEM for under 200$.(which I would recommend)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

On your video refresh issue. Im not sure about havin to refresh the screen. That might be a driver issue or perhaps the video card is overheating. They do draw dust and debris into the heatsinks which can block the passage of air going out from the video cards. Get a can of air and blow into the exhaust(whilst the mahine is off of course). Also I would recommend u check out the nvidia site to get the latest drivers. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us .

As for upgrading your cpu. I would recommend it.. however I must warn that to upgrade the cpu you need to take apart the entire machine. If you plan on doing this yourself I recommend you do so while recording it as there are a ton of tiny screws of all shapes and sizes. You dont wantto re-assemble and end up with spare screws or screws in the wrong holes. Performance wise going from 2.4 to 3.4 u get like a 41% cpu boost. thats pretty huge. Specially for Photoshop and your cpu hungry 3d design.

Not sure if i mention it but going from conventional harddrives to SSD makes a HUGE difference in load times. starting up applications time is cut down to a few secs for photoshop, while on conventional harddrive it might take a minuet or more.

Hope this Helps.

--C_LOS--