Vostro 200- Graphics Card Compatibility

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

Vostro 200- Graphics Card Compatibility

• I have a Dell Desktop Vostro 200 model with Vista Business (service pack 1) and am thinking about which graphics card to get in order to play state of the art games such as "Left for Dead" and "Eve-Online"

I have been told that Novatech GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 HDMI/DVI PCI-Express - Retail with PhysX & CUDA

450MHz Core, 512MB 800MHz DDR2 Memory, 8 Stream Processors, 1yr Warranty is good enough but I am reluctant to buy without knowing for sure if it will work.

I'm not a computer wiz, its all voodoo to me
  • The first question is, do you have the mini tower or the slim tower?  If you have the slim tower, you will be limited to low profile video cards only.  If you have the mini tower, you will have more options.  The 8400 GS is a very low-end card and not recommended at all for any of today's games.  However, I cannot recommend a card without knowing which tower you have.  Your power supply will also limit what video card you can get.  Open your case and look at the sticker on the side of the power supply to see how many watts it has.  If you have the mini, it is probably 300 watts.  If you have the slim, it is probably 250 watts. 

Based on the power supplies, if you have the mini, I would recommend getting a Nvidia 9500GT.

If you have the slim, I would recommend getting the ATI HD 4550 or the 9500GT as some have run it on their 250W PSU's. 

Either of these is much better than the 8400GS with the 9500GT being the best.

• Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
    • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• tatz a very intrestin answer frm you...

abt the vostro 200 slim graphics card.

plz can u send me all the support graphics card for my vostro 200 slim at < ADMIN NOTE: Email removed per privacy policy >

thnx

• http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187060

The 9600gt will work in your slim case.One of the best low-profile cards made.

• I have the Vostro 200 mini, will the nVidia 9600GT workwith my 300w PS?  nVidia specs indicate 400w are needed to run this card - see http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html and advise.  Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.