Upgrading the video card on a Latitude

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

Upgrading the video card on a Latitude

•  

So here's the thing...

I love the pointing stick, trackpoint, nipple mouse - whatever you call it, I need it. Can't live without it.

I also love to game.

Right now, my only option is to spend a lot on a high-end Precision M6400 (drool....) or an M4400 to get a pointstick laptop with an expensive Quadro graphics card, when all I really need is a decent gaming card. What I'd like to do is to buy a more modest D830 or E6500 (I like the 15.4" WUXGA) and find some way of upgrading the 140/160 M video card. Is this feasible? Has anyone had luck with this?

My goal is a 6M cache processor (~2.53 MHz) with minimal RAM (it always gets cheaper), a ~160 GB 7200 RPM HD, and no frills other than a great graphics card. Your comments, advice, etc... are greatly welcome.

• The only way to upgrade the graphics card in a laptop is to replace the whole motherboard (The graphics card is not a removable component). Since this can be up to 75% of cost of a new laptop most people don't both and just buy the new laptop instead.

There are "ways" of replacing the graphics card, but they are super electronic wizard geek ways that most people cannot do without trashing the system. Best advice, don't try. You practically need to be in MIT to do it. Just buy a new laptop with the spec that you want/can afford. 

----------------
    Second Start to the right, and onwards until morning.

• Right. I know that upgrading laptop graphics is always very difficult, particularly since Dell doesn't use MXM graphics cards. And that it will void my warranty, etc... What I'm curious about is whether anyone has had luck doing so, at least with the Latitude line.

If one has a discrete graphics card, even in a laptop, you should be able to upgrade it without replacing the motherboard. For instance, it's possible, right now, to upgrade GPUs in the XPS range by getting spare parts from Dell's website. Mind you, you can only replace a video card that was specifically made for that system. For instance, you can replace a 64 MB Geforce FX 5200 with an ATI 9600 128 MB in an old Inspiron 8600, because both of these video cards are produced for the 8600. However, you cannot replace a 64 MB Geforce FX 5200 with an ATI 9600 in an Inspiron 5150 because the ATI 9600 form factor is not compatible with the 5150.

So, I'm curious if anyone has had similar luck with the Latitudes. For instance, does the M4400 GPU meet the E6500 form factor? Or has anyone found a forum/website/etc... that discusses replacing the GPU on a D830? I'm not adverse to breaking out my soldering iron.

• Well it looks like a soldering iron *is* necessary. According to these guys, even the discrete GPU on the Latitude D830 is soldered onto the motherboard:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=239249

So unlike the XPS or Inspiron, the chip ain't modular. Boo-urns.

• I would be careful about bringing the Soldering GUN close to a PC/Laptop..very large Soldering GUNS--can create large magnetic-interferences//

I have a DELL Latitude D600 useing a ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility graphics card//

So far,,and I have not found a solution--its going to be PCMCIA-Slot for a second monitor if that will even solve the issue of making Windows[tm] 7 your new OS//

My D600 is in excellent shape..and as is will be able to use BASIC...Vista or Windows 7//..which ain't much..

===

So I would say that having NO...MXM Standard means the PCMCIA-Slot..looking at a external monitor--for upgrade(if that even works)..[end]

• The why are there screws on my graphics card on my latitude e6500

• Hi Joericktor,

Are you referring to the screws shown in the below image?

These screws hold the “Video Heat Sink” in place.

If you are referring to any other screws please attach an image of the same in your reply.

Thanks & Regards
    Zohaib R
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose
    your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
  • K-infotech

The only way to upgrade the graphics card in a laptop is to replace the whole motherboard (The graphics card is not a removable component). Since this can be up to 75% of cost of a new laptop most people don't both and just buy the new laptop instead.

There are "ways" of replacing the graphics card, but they are super electronic wizard geek ways that most people cannot do without trashing the system. Best advice, don't try. You practically need to be in MIT to do it. Just buy a new laptop with the spec that you want/can afford.

This is only true about lower grade consumer laptops. It is universally true of the inexpensive low quality systems that are targeted for average consumers that are incapable or terrified by the idea of cracking open the case. The better quality laptops, (Dell Precision and Alienware for example,) which are purchased by power users and enthusiasts do have video cards that can be upgraded. Almost any modern laptop that uses MXM 3.0b modules can be upgraded, and Dell's top tier systems are the most upgrade-friendly. It is a very uncomplicated bolt-in procedure that does not require a tremendous amount of skill. These machines are expensive, but they are generally built much better and typically eclipse the performance of ordinary laptops. They also have upgradable CPUs and usually have more features like extra hard drive bays, more USB ports, etc.

Here is an example of a high performance MXM 3.0b mobile graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 2GB DDR5 MXM 3.0b VGA MODULE

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 120GB mSATA
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]