dell vostro 1500 series problem, bought december 2007

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

dell vostro 1500 series problem, bought december 2007

• ok so here it is guys i got my brand new dell vostro 1500 series with 160gb hd 3gb ram and intel core duo 2 processor and its not good because i cant play battle field 2 on it because i only have a chipset family express card 956) so i went to install the game and i couldant because i needed a 

Video HW Transform & Lighting.... and Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0
  • alos i can run WOW on the highest settings
  • Hello, and welcome to the forums!

It doesn't surprise me that you can run WoW on it's highest settings with this notebook, but not run Battlefield 2 at all. As the game installer complained, you need a video chipset that includes hardware accelerated vertex shaders. This is not a requirement for WoW. A comparison of required specs:

Battlefield 2:

• Windows XP/Vista
    • 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
    • 512 MB of RAM
    • 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
    • 2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
    • 256MB DirectX compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above
    • Multiplayer requires 1 set of discs per PC and a broadband (Cable, DSL, or a faster) connection.

WoW:

• Windows 2000/XP/Vista
    • Intel Pentium III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
    • 512 MB or more of RAM
    • 32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 2 class card or above
    • DirectX 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
    • 6.0 GB available HD space
    • 4x CD-ROM drive
    • A 56k or better Internet connection

As you can see, except for required hard disk space, the system requirements for WoW are rather lax in comparison to Battlefield 2, which is part of the reason for WoW's great success in the market.

• would i be able to upgrade to a geforce card and or how would i do it?

Microsoft Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, service pack 2,
    Dell Vostro 1500, intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, T7250 @ 2.00GHz
    1.99 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM
    1. Plug and Play Monitor on Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    2. (default Monitor) on Mobile Intel(R) 956 Express Chipset Family

• No, unfortunatly you can't.  There are VERY few notebooks that allow you to replace the GPU.  Many of Dell's models are an exception (including that model, I think), except I'm fairly sure that since you got that notebook with integrated video, it won't be possible (it would have had to have a seperate GPU, and the upgrade would just be to another GPU that was made for that specific system.)

With notebooks, it's best to try to buy them with as good a GPU as possible, because of the inability to upgrade them. 

Many newer games won't be possible on that, but there should be a lot of older games you might have missed that'll run.  I'm a big fan of Gametap.com which is cheap and has a lot of games that would be a bit older and run fine.