E1705 w/ int graphics card Mobile Integrated 945..Can I switch Graphics card with anything better?

Gaming

Gaming
An online group dedicated to connecting gamers of all levels -- especially levels you've beaten. Noobs welcome.

E1705 w/ int graphics card Mobile Integrated 945..Can I switch Graphics card with anything better?

• I saw where a guy upgraded his system to a go 7900...but he was upgrading from the x1400...Can my system be upgraded, or am I ...I just bought this system 2 months ago.
  • Nope.  As long as you got the integrated video chip instead of the 1400, you locked yourself out.  Sorry

Banchetto 101 Case-Less System

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6640/295gtx.jpg 

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Thermaltake TRUE Black CPU Cooler

VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm HD

Windows 7 RC 7100

• The Inspiron™ 9400 / E1705 has two different graphics options:
    Intel® GMA 950 (integrated, or UMA)   AND  the NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7800 (G70) – 256 MB (discrete) or ATI™ Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 (M54) – 256 MB (discrete)

If you were to opt for the nVidia or the ATi Cards, you would have the option to upgrade.
    However, since you chose the Integrated Video option, the Motherboard that was shipped with the system does not give you the option to add on an additional Video Card.

So if you really want to use a Video Card - You have two options:
    ** Return the system {Pay the restocking fee and opt for either the nVidia or ATi option}
    ** Change your Motherboard

Although the first option would be comparatively cheaper, the time frame involved would be longer.

Hope this addressed your queries.
    Romzy

Message Edited by Romzy on 01-06-200709:10 AM

• And, that is only if you are within the 21 day return policy period

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Windows 7 RC 7100

• Well.....I've missed the 21 day period.....closer to the 60 day period.  Looks like I'll be ....pay that much money for a computer, and it still doesn't do what I want it to.  They make it sound as if their graphics card is great for gaming and High Def, and then you find it isn't......nice.
  • Agree.  Information is sorely lacking when it comes to informing the customer of what happens if you do not opt for the dedicated card instead of just getting the integrated one.  I'd say, they can do so much better and make money in the long run if they included some badly needed information for the customer to read prior to a purchase. 

But that is too simple for them to do I guess   :smileymad:

eVGA 780i Mobo

eVGA 295 GTX Video

8 Gb Corsair Memory

Windows 7 RC 7100

• It's so easy to pass the buck around but the truth of the matter is that you are solely to blame.
    Ouch, i know - But if you had done your Homework, you would not be grumbling.

DELL does not sell pre-configured systems, YOU get to choose what YOU want.
    You may not have known the difference between an Integrated and a Video Card option but you should have checked it up, Google it or just ask around - If you had to check the requirements of the Game, it would have clearly mentioned 'REQUIRES VIDEO CARD OF SUCH & SUCH SPECIFICATIONS'

As for what SR45 had to say, I'm not nodding along.
    The fact that you are willing to assemble your own PC means you have some knowledge of what is involved. If DELL were to mention ALL the Pros & Cons of each Hardware component offered, your choice of components would be a long one and the entire exercise a frustrating one!
    The Price difference is what usually sways your mind into thinking that you found a cheaper alternative, not necessarliy the right one.

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your purchase, I know the feeling but thankfully, have not been disappointed by DELL till date.
    Hope no sentiments were offended - I'm just tired of hearing the same excuses over and over again.
    Don't forget to cross-check next time!

Romzy

Message Edited by Romzy on 01-07-200708:15 AM

• How much do you think restocking would be say if I also have done this, but was able to figure it out before the 21 day period? I use the laptop for homework at college and games when i have free time and now knowing that this graphics card cant be replaced(I was hoping to upgrade later once Vista and directx10 was out) I'm kind of at a loss.

I was also just guessing i could replace it since I had an integrated graphics card on my old desktop and was able to just pop in a new AGP one into it. But that was a desktop and I never thought about the difference to laptop/

Message Edited by Dschwin on 01-13-200701:10 AM

• The restocking fee is 15%, but if you are inside the return period you may be able to get away without paying it. All depends on your phone skills.

Asus Rampage Formula

Q9650 @ 4.05

2x2 g Corsair Dominators

WD 640 Black

GTX 260 C216 @ 711/1533/1151

Antec TPN 750w