hooking up my dell monitor and surround sound system to my laptop - Home Entertainment (Read Only) - Digital Entertainment - Dell Community

hooking up my dell monitor and surround sound system to my laptop

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

hooking up my dell monitor and surround sound system to my laptop

• I have a dell inspiron desktop that I'm likely going to consider obsolete.  I want to use my dell laptop as my primary computer.  How do I connect my dell flat panel monitor and my dell surround sound speakers to my laptop?

• Audio out - most laptops only have the small 3.5mm Headphone jack

Video - depends on model of Dell

Since you don't say, its hard to say.

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / Linux Mint
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3

• My monitor is a model number 463-6613 Dell17 inch 1704FPt Digital Flat Panel Display

My surround sound speaker system is a model number 313-2246 Dell 5650 5.1 surrondvsound speaker system with subwoofer.

I understand that my Dell laptop has only a headphone jack, but is there a converter cable so I can plug the system into the headphone jack.  I understand I might get stereo or mono output, but I don't care so much about that.

If I can't plug the display into my laptop, is there a docking station or converter cable that I can use to hook it up to the laptop. 

My laptop is a Dell Model PPL26L  Inspiron 1420.  I currently run the ill-fated Windows Vista, but am thinking of upgrading to Windows 7. 

• There are plenty of 3.5mm plug to RCA plug cables. They call them MP3 cables these days. Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc will have them.

Your Inspiron 1420 apparently only has VGA and s-video out. So you'll need a monitor that has VGA port.

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / Linux Mint
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3