What type of output cable do I need for my sound card? - Home Entertainment (Read Only) - Digital Entertainment - Dell Community

What type of output cable do I need for my sound card?

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

What type of output cable do I need for my sound card?

• I have a Dell XPS 720 that I bought in May of 2008, it came from the Dell Outlet, so I don't know much about its configuration.  I do know, however, that it has 7.1 capablity, but I don't know what sound card is actually in it.  I don't know if it actually has 7.1 in it already or is just capably of it.  My question is this; I want to send the audio to my stereo.  I have a Sony ES receiver that is several years old.  It has a digital optical input on it as well as several 5 cable component inputs that I am aware of, it does not have HDMI, however.

How can I find out what type of sound card I have? Further, how can I find out what cable I need to send the sound out? My receiver has Dolby 5.1 and I would love to send the full sound out, 5.1 that is, (if I even have it) if at all possible.

Sorry, but I am not a computer nerd, so don't "knock" me too much and TIA for any help!

• go to http://support.dell.com and enter the PC's Service Tag number. That should give you a better idea of what was originally on the PC.

HDMI is generally for video + audio. I don't many who use it just for audio.

my Dells:
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / Linux Mint
    Optiplex 3020 - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Precision M6300 - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3