How do I connect XPS-420 Studio to my HDTV?

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

How do I connect XPS-420 Studio to my HDTV?

• How do I connect XPS-420 Studio to my HDTV?

Originally posted 08 Jan 2009 01:02AM in "General Hardware"  No one replied.

System:  Dell XPS-420 Studio, Windows Vista Home Premium 32, PBDS DVD+-RW DH-16W1S

I want to connect my PC to my TV so that I can show DVDs played from my DVD drive on the TV.  What connection would you suggest?  I can't find an S-Video or "video card"  conncection on the back of the PC panel; however, there are IEE-1394 jacks on front & back of the PC and there is an IEE-1394 slot on the TV.  (The TV seems to have a wide variety of connection possibilities.)

I'm pretty much a novice as this sort of thing, so please don't assume too much knowledge on my part when you reply.Smile

No one replied when I posted this in "General Hardware" so I really would appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sincerely,

Jeff E.

• What graphics card does it have Jeff, and what type of TV is it?  Is it a newer HDTV (high definition)?

Assuming it's either an ATI Radeon HD3450, HD3650, or a HD4670 - the three cards mentioned in Studio XPS 420 systems on the Dell website, it has 2x DVI connections.

If it's a newish HDTV, it'll have HDMI connections in the back - in which case you'd need to buy a DVI - HDMI cable - of suitable length.

If it's an older TV, it'll likely only have an older VGA connection, in which case you'd need to buy a DVI - VGA cable - of suitable length.

Don't go paying over the odds for one!  Some stores are asking extortionate prices for HDMI cables!

They're available on Ebay for just a few £/$ - dependent on the length, obviously.

To give you an example... I bought a 5m DVI - HDMI cable not too long ago for my son, and it cost just £6.99 + £2.49 - which is around US$13.

But you'll probably be able to find them even cheaper than that if you're in the USA!

If you can confirm... 

1.  It's one or other of those graphics cards? 

2.  What type of TV it is (new HDTV/older TV)?  If it's an older one, check the back of it, and make sure it has a VGA connection

3.  Whereabouts in the world you are (UK/USA etc)

... I'd be happy to find/put up a link, to a suitable cable for you (if necessary) Wink

FYI:  Here's an image showing VGA (left) and DVI (right) - separated by a S-video connection: 

And this is a HDMI connection - as seen/found on new HDTV's: 

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• Thanks for the reply.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO.  Graphics processor is (0x94C3).  My HDTV has two HDMI inputs, one of which is connected to my cable box.  My PC speakers are good so I don't need to connect audio.  So, I guess what I need to know is which jack on the 420 do I connect the DVI end to?  Is it labeled?

Regards,

Jeff

• Jeff52

So, I guess what I need to know is which jack on the 420 do I connect the DVI end to?  Is it labeled?

No... DVI ports aren't labelled Jeff.  

But it'll look like the one in the picture above - and it'll be the only DVI port in your system, so you can't plug the DVI end of the HDMI - DVI cable into anywhere else other than the correct port Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)