Forums

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

Dell Dimension 4600-Samsung hdtv 5084 as monitor

• Running XP Pro sp2. Nvidia GeForce FX5200 Video.  Hooked up DVI to Dell with HMDI to Samsung HDTV.  HDTV did not get signal.  Checked in display and only my dell monitor is indicated.  Could not find anywhere to indicate multiple monitors.  Anyway suggestions or advice on why the hdtv is not recognizing the computer and how to fix?

thanks 

• Does the Samsung have a VGA input? We have a Sony 32" and Dell 37" HD LCDs hooked to VGA, looks swell.
  • Thanks for the reply.  The alternative connection is with a D-Sub Cable.  I believe that is a VGA cable and just another name.  Is that so?
  • D-sub cable looks like VGA in pictures, hook it up see what happens.
  • When I googled found out they are the same.  Should work.  I have a dell digital monitor and the computer would not recognize it so I just stayed with a vga hook up.  thanks again.
  • I have a different problem. I bought the xps 1530 because of the HDMI output to hook it up to my HDTV but found the TV only had a DVI input not HDMI. I get video ok but obviously not in HD. I then went to the Netflix website to watch an instant movie but after about 2 minutes it pauses and there is a series of clicking noises on the laptop apparently  while it is loading more video and when it restarts the video has not caught up to the sound. I am connected to a wireless network in the house and wondered if there is a buffered file I need to expand so it will hold more as it is being sent from the router to the laptop? The wireless connection icon on the laptop shows all five bars totally green so I think I have a good connection. The laptop has
    Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache), running Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition, with 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms), 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms), a 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive, and Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card connected to a D-Link 802.11g/2.4 GHz router with an extender.
  •  What is your internet speed? You need high speed to get good performance from Netflix instant movies.

I get good quality video at about 1.5 mbps DSL.

• I am connected to Comcast cable and have a download speed of 6774 kbps. The speed received over the wireless system is 1.5 mbps.
  • Maybe Netflix can tell you what the problem is.
  • I contacted Dell and they changed the streaming time from 5 seconds to 10 seconds and that took care of the problem. I can now watch the movies without any problem. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • I am not sure if you have tried this, but they do sell a DVI to HDMI cable,  The one I have comes out of my Video card then into the HDMI input on the TV, It also has a female end with another HDMI connector.

Got mine from Dish Network.