Which Dell works best for video editing?

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

Which Dell works best for video editing?

• I was hoping community members had suggestions on which Dell would work best for video-editing. I'll be using CS4 (Adobe Creative Master Suite) and want to purchase a system that's scalable to meet the growing demands of HD editing. Right now I do mostly short segment video clips but I'd like a system that could possibly handle longer videos down the road. I'm really sweating the Alienware line but don't know if it's right for my needs. Maybe a workstation would be better? Recommendations welcome. (NOTE: I already have an external TB hard drive for storage.) If I should be posting this question in another forum, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

• I would avoid the consumer and small business PC's entirely.  I video edit on a Precision 690 and would not recommend anything less than a Precision if you want to be doing this seriously.  The Dell Workstations are built for this kind of work, heavy CPU and I/O bus workloads where other machines just aren't. 

If future growth is the main guidence, I'd look at the T5500 and T7500 first and foremost.  The T7500 is the modern form of my older 690, now built around the i7 architecture, and will be difficult to outgrow over the years.  Heck, my 690 is still not yet reached its limit (only 32GB of RAM right now) and it is nearly 4 years old.

• Thank you. Your recommendations give me a good starting point. I can now narrow it down to the particular flavors of the T5500 or T7500. Thanks again.