Forums

Digital Entertainment

Digital Entertainment
A space to talk about music, movies and other entertaining diversions.

Problems recognizing DV camcorder via IEEE 1394 FireWire on Windows XP

• Hi, firstly just wanted to thank everybody for their contributions to this thread over the past 7 years!   I read through it all when encountering a similar problem.

My Sony Mini DV Digital Handycam DCR-TRV17E worked well downloading film to Dell desktop PC (bought 2006) with Windows XP via IEEE 1394 cable in about 2007 - 2008 but now several years later when I went to do it again (you can tell I don't make many movies these days) suddenly the computer will not recognise the handycam and so cannot capture in either Adobe Premier Essentials 3.0 or Windows Movie Maker.

Considered the many suggestions above but either not appropriate or over my head.  

Replaced the 1394 cable to no avail.

Tried contacting Sony and they suggested another video capture program that they have but as the download process required the computer to detect which type of camera to download for, that idea went nowhere because the computer cannot detect the camera!

In the end I connected the handycam to my DVD recorder (attached to TV) using a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable, (DV IN to DV IN), got the film on to the DVD Recorder then coped it to a DVD disk and copied back to my computer.

Quality wasn't as good and naturally I got everything as one film rather than individual clips but it got me going enough to complete an urgent project.

How I love Windows computers, not!

My wife has just bought a Mac, I wonder if that will make my life easier?

• GlenSydney

In the end I connected the handycam to my DVD recorder (attached to TV) using a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable, (DV IN to DV IN), got the film on to the DVD Recorder then coped it to a DVD disk and copied back to my computer.

Quality wasn't as good and naturally I got everything as one film rather than individual clips but it got me going enough to complete an urgent project.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm

I either use SP (2hr) or HQ (1hr) mode when using my DVD recorder to capture video from my camcorder.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I have since found out what may have been my original problem.

I just connected another firewire device (to my PC) which I also had not used in several years and it won’t work either.

Maybe the firewire port had failed all along!

• I have to reinstall the Sony handycam software each time I want to start a capture session, otherwise the camera is not recognised (even if I initiate the 'add hardware wizard). Thankfully I can then just pull down a whole tape in one go.

I am using an old Dell PC with firewire PCI card - 6 pin. I believe I get the same behaviour with my Dell D430 latitude.

Both machines are XP SP3

Julian

• jpedley

I have to reinstall the Sony handycam software each time I want to start a capture session, otherwise the camera is not recognised (even if I initiate the 'add hardware wizard). Thankfully I can then just pull down a whole tape in one go.

I am using an old Dell PC with firewire PCI card - 6 pin. I believe I get the same behaviour with my Dell D430 latitude.

Both machines are XP SP3

Julian

You shouldn't have to install any Sony software when capturing video using Firewire.

Just connect and use Windows Movie Maker program to capture the video.

my Dells:

• I have tried before using WMM to capture video but the camera is not recognised at all. 

The camera correctly displays DVOut ILINK, but WMM is saying "...Video capture device not detected.....try again....".

I have tried reconnecting the device, resequencing the steps but it never detects the device.

I have also now removed the Sony software which was equally problematic.

Any more ideas about how I can get the laptop to recognise the Firewire connection and input? At present whenI cannect firewire nothing happens at all.

Julian

• Can you be certain that you firewire port is working?

I don’t use mine often and when I tried and tried to get the video to work I happened to then connect a firewire backup drive (that has worked a few years ago too) and it did not recognise either.

I then got the backup working by USB instead and concluded it must be my firewater port that had broken     Thanks Dell  :-(

• jpedley

I have tried before using WMM to capture video but the camera is not recognised at all. 

The camera correctly displays DVOut ILINK, but WMM is saying "...Video capture device not detected.....try again....".

I have tried reconnecting the device, resequencing the steps but it never detects the device.

I have also now removed the Sony software which was equally problematic.

Any more ideas about how I can get the laptop to recognise the Firewire connection and input? At present whenI cannect firewire nothing happens at all.

Julian

There is a website devoted to WMM  http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net

You might want to post your question over at their forums.

my Dells:

• Hello everyone, I just want offer a possible solution to IEEE 1394 problems that I recently used to solve my firewire issues. I accidentally fixed my firewire detection issue while trying to work around it using an analog video capture method so please understand that this post is about FIXING your firewire issues, NOT about working around them. First off, I have NOT read every single post on this thread (but I have read the majority of them) so this may or may not have been mention already. I am not sure if this will work for anyone else, or if it was just a fluke, but this thread was full of info that helped me so I figured I would put my two cents in and hopefully help others. Basically, my issue was that I could not get my DV camcorder to connect to my PC via firewire for use with Adobe premiere CS3. I have a Canon ZR80 camcorder and a pretty average (if not outdated) desktop PC running Windows XP with the most recent service packs and updates. I have used this camcorder for years and have had no issues using it with my old laptop (which I no longer have) and the older Adobe premiere 6.5. I recently decided to transfer some footage to my desktop so I bought a firewire card off NEWEGG.COM (my desktop had no 1394 ports) and installed it. I was disappointed to discover that, while my computer DID recognize and install the firewire card without issue, it would not recognize any device connected to it. So I began searching for solutions to this problem online when I found this thread. I tried several things mentioned in this thread but had no success solving my issue (although I did find a solution to a firewire problem my grandfather’s PC was having so that was good at least). Long story short, I became incredibly frustrated and began to search for other ways to capture my camcorder footage to my PC. Since my camcorder is old, and wasn’t exactly top of the line to begin with, I only have two options for outputting video; the firewire port, or an analog video cable. So I began searching for software that would allow me to capture my video via the analog cable. After some poking around I downloaded AVS Video Recorder (this is the exact link I followed: http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Recorder.aspx) At this point, my camcorder was plugged in to my computer via an analog cable running into my video card. I installed AVS Video recorder and then opened the software, to my surprise windows suddenly registered my camcorder via the firewire cable (which I suddenly realized I had forgotten to unplug) I WANT TO STRESS  the fact that WINDOWS, SEPERATE from the new AVS software, was recognizing my device just as it should have been doing all along. Curiously, I closed the new video recorder software without using it and booted adobe premiere. My device worked correctly. Now, very puzzled, I shut my computer down, unplugged all cables from my camcorder and restarted my computer. Once it was idle on the desktop I, without booting any programs, plugged my camcorder into the firewire cable and switched it on. Windows immediately recognized it. I have since removed the AVS video software and my firewire issues are still corrected. I am not sure why this has solved my problem but I suspect it has something to do with the driver package that was auto installed with the AVS Video recording software. I know that many threads like this become the target for people hocking bogus software (or malicious programs) So, all I can say is I hope someone tries this and gets the same results. I have absolutely no ties to the makers or distributors (or the website I linked in this post). If someone would please try confirming (or debunking) this and post a reply I would appreciate it. I am just curious to know if it’s an applicable fix for anyone else and, more importantly, why this fixed my issue. Anyway, that’s it. I hope this info helps and I hope some one else might offer a suggestion as to why this worked for me. Thanks to everyone on this thread, as I said, it helped me fix some unrelated firewire issues on my grandpa’s pc.

Also, I accidentally created this exact post as a new thread because I wasn’t paying attention Stick out tongue ….you can ignore it.

• A useful thread. I wanted to add our recent experience to this compendium. We had a firewire device that failed. When we got a replacement it would not work on the computer with the editing software. It would work on a similar XP Pro SP3 computer (same firewire drivers).  After trying some of the options here without success, I bought a PPA Int'l 4 Port 1394 Firewire PCI Card at Fry's for $16.95.  It worked in the target computer. Perhaps the device failure took the internal Firewire with it.

• Hello,

I like Mac as well as PC (Windows platform), as it is very clean and working solid. But due to my daily works, education in the past and more experience with PC I prefer Windows.

I found a good and easy video converter which supports all (as far as I know, all major and minor) video formats and the good point is it does NOT need any codec to install, it has everything biult-in. It works fast and easy 1-2-3. it is called "PC Video Converter" and the trail version can be download from: http://www.program4pc.com/video_converter.html

I'm using it for all my video conversion and am happy with that, the price is affordable and their support is fast,

Hope you like it as I do.