How to add a dell 4032F 2 switch cluster to supportassist enterprise - Enterprise Forum - SupportAssist - Dell Community

How to add a dell 4032F 2 switch cluster to supportassist enterprise

SupportAssist

SupportAssist
Remote monitoring and automated, proactive support

How to add a dell 4032F 2 switch cluster to supportassist enterprise

This question is not answered

I have a username and password which I use to telnet on the clusters management ip.

when I type enable I am not challenged for a password, I go straight to '#'

I have created a rw snmp   community string

When I try to add the networking device

with username, password, (nothing for enable), snmp community...I get

SupportAssist Enterprise is unable to add the device 10.0.2.71 because the device is not supported or the prerequisites for adding the device are not met. For the prerequisites for adding the device, see the User's Guide.

For the list of supported device models, see the Support Matrix.

Error code:SA-0055

the 4032F is in the support list...do I need to enable more than just snmp? or is a blank enable password the problem? not sure how to create an enable password

thanks

All Replies
  • apologies, I thought I had exhausted the manual but I missed a bit..you need to enable SSH

console>enable

console#config

console(config)#crypto key generate rsa

console(config)#crypto key generate dsa

console(config)#ip ssh server

now I just need to know how to forward snmp alerts to the supportassist console.

"For monitoring hardware issues that may occur on the device only — Ensure that the device is configured to forward SNMP traps (alerts) to the server where SupportAssist Enterprise is installed. For instructions to configure alert forwarding, see Configuring the alert destination of a networking device."

• Hello Nocholas,

I just wanted to chime in and see if you were able to get the SNMP forwarding resolved on your switches?

Thanks.

• Hi Dave,

no not yet,...im also battling with Openmanage Essentials and Dell Repositry Manager, to get my switches and servers upto date, alert and raising tickets...not as easy as im used to.

• en.community.dell.com/.../20281547

gives a easily digestible overview...

snmp-server community <community_string> ro/rw <OME_IP_Address>

I think should be

snmp-server community <community_string> ro/rw ipaddress <OME_IP_Address>

I cant get the following accepted..

snmp-server host <OME_IP_address> <Community_String> <1/2>

so I just left it on

I cant get the following accepted..

snmp-server host <OME_IP_address> <Community_String>

im now getting alerts on OME, which is a step forward.

Configuring Dell PowerConnect Networking Switch

The following steps must be performed to set the SNMP community string and SNMP trap destination of a Dell PowerConnect Networking switch:

I. Using Serial Console or SSH Session:

1. Log in to switch using management IP address with serial connection or SSH session. 2. The following command should be run to set up the SNMP community name:   snmp-server community <community_string> ro/rw <OME_IP_Address>  where ro or rw can be used accordingly to specify read only or read write access. Su can be used to specify SNMP administrator access <OME_IP_address> represents the IP address of OME server.  

Managing My Environment With Dell OpenManage Essentials

3. The following command should be used to configure SNMP traps and set its SNMP community string.  snmp-server host <OME_IP_address> <Community_String> <1/2> Where <OME_IP_Address> is the IP address of OME serevr,  <Community_String> is the community string used for outbound traps and 1 or 2 can be either SNMP v1 traps or SNMP v2 traps, respectively. For example, snmp-server host 192.168.1.10 public 2

• How to configure the SNMP trap destination is also mentioned in the SAE User Guide. Please refer to excerpts from the UG.

Manually configuring the alert destination of a networking device

NOTE: The steps to configure the alert destination of networking devices may vary based on the networking device type and model. For information on configuring the alert of a specific networking device model, see the networking device documentation.

Steps

1. Log in to the networking device by using a terminal emulator such as PuTTY.

2. The terminal window is displayed.

3. Type configure and press Enter.

4. Type snmp-server host <IP address of the server where SupportAssist Enterprise is installed> traps version 1.

5. To verify if the alert destination is configured successfully, type show running-config snmp and press Enter.

The list of alert destinations that are configured on the device is displayed.