How do I refresh the Device Inventory in SupportAssist? - Enterprise Forum - SupportAssist - Dell Community

How do I refresh the Device Inventory in SupportAssist?

SupportAssist

SupportAssist
Remote monitoring and automated, proactive support

How do I refresh the Device Inventory in SupportAssist?

• How do I get SupportAssist to refresh the device inventory after making changes to the system credentials? I added the credentials for our M1000e chassis but it's still showing an error.

Right now SupportAssist isn't very helpful, as the majority of our servers are either showing "Unknown" or "Error" even though they have OMSA and/or are iDRAC7s.

We're running OME 2.0.1.2222 and SA 2.0.1.55945.

Thanks.

• Thank you for posting your question and providing the details around the issue. 

The System Credentials are used to communicate with OME.  For example if you had a service account that you would like to use for running the SupportAssist service, then this is where you would configure that.

For devices, there is a concept called device type credentials.  The option to edit the device credentials is through the Devices tab.  You have two options, if a certain set of devices have same credentials, then you can establish a group and provide the credentials under the group settings tab.  Otherwise you can provide the credentials for each device by selecting the device and clicking on the Edit Device Credentials.  Further information on configuring device credentials can be found in the user guide User Guide.

If after setting the device credentials you are still seeing errors, please let us know so we can obtain the client logs and identify the root cause.

For the question around refreshing device inventory, this occurs automatically after you update the device credentials.  There is another component where SupportAssist poles OME for device inventory and that occurs every 5 hours, however this does not appear to be related to description of the problem that is posted.

Thank You.

• My apologies, I used the wrong term. I meant Device Credentials. I made changes to the Default Device Credentials (Windows Server and iDRAC) but not all of my servers are showing green in SupportAssist.

• Thank you for the update.  Have you tried to run a collection after providing the correct credentials on the systems that displayed unknown or error?

Typically the status will not change until the next time you manually run the collections or if schedule log collections kick in, then you might see the update.

If there continues to be a problem, it might be best to contact Dell Support so we can get inside the system and look at the logs to further assist.

• Dave, how do I run a manual log collection from SupportAssist? I have it scheduled for every first Monday of the month but I'd like to see if I can get this issue resolved before then.

Thanks.

• From the devices tab, you can select the device and click on the Send Systems Log icon when it becomes enabled.

• I set the automatic schedule to run at 2pm this afternoon, and it succeeded for a number of my devices but I still have a lot showing error or unknown. Will the logs tell you why a device is showing as unknown/error?

• Yes, the SupportAssist application log should provide some hints as to the reason why it is failing.  There is also a Error Code Appendix in the user guide which can be used to identify common issues.  

If you provide me one of your asset tags that is having issues, I can pull the logs from my end also scrape the logs to see what the issues might be.

Thank You.

• Dave, I sent you an e-mail.

Thanks.