“I’m excited to let you know relocations for next year have been approved.” An email I’ve been waiting for months arrived December 2, 2015 and suddenly a dream was about to become reality. Deep breath! It is really happening.

I grew up in a very small town, nay village, in former East Germany and first explored the world in 2002/2003 as a high school exchange student near Salt Lake City, Utah. It was an adventurous year with ups and downs that showed me that there are people, yes sometimes strangers, who are willing to help in difficult situations. This is a character trait I’ve been trying to practice ever since. It was clear to me that at some point I’d like to go back and live in the States again.

To explore the world a bit more, I studied international business and management living in multiple countries: South Africa, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. I moved back to my home town to write my Master’s thesis before moving to Dublin, Ireland for a full-time job. Through LinkedIn, a talent agency convinced me to stay near my home town for role as a Social Media and Online Marketing Manager at Dell.

So I stayed for almost four years and was fortunate to work at Dell in a variety of roles: from launching the first ever global brand campaign around empowering our customers to do more and leading the social and digital strategy in country and region; to teaching executives and hundreds of employees on the use of social media with our award-winning trainings.