Solution to the Latitude 6430u Odor

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Solution to the Latitude 6430u Odor

• Comments 3
When the Latitude 6430u was launched we received feedback from some customers commenting on an odor around the laptop. Dell immediately addressed the customer comments in order to resolve the situation and an investigation revealed that this was occurring as a result of a specific manufacturing process. We would like to reassure customers that the odor was not related to biological contamination nor did it present a health hazard. The manufacturing process has subsequently been amended and newly purchased Latitude 6430us are not affected by the issue. Any customer who has a system with the odor  can contact our technical support team at  1-800-456-3355 or www.dell.com/support and we will arrange to replace the palm rest assembly.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• I called Dell regarding this issue last week.  I was told that they did not yet have the part to resolve the problem.  I will continue to call them each week to get a status on the replacement palm rests.

• Yes confirmed the part is not in stock also.  The tech indicated "depot" warranty work and I expressed dissatisfaction with the loss of use of the laptop for 10 days.  The tech indicated the part would be mailed to me as available and client replacement would be the quicker option.  Certainly hope the part is easy enough to replace.  

• So if the palm rests are not in stock but the new units are in stock and the new units do not have the issue why was I not offered a replacement system vs. waiting for a replacement palm rest assembly?  A palm rest assembly for which I tasked with replacement as the warranty will not cover the replacement  via tech.