Introducing the XPS 14z: Amazingly Thin, Incredibly Powerful

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Introducing the XPS 14z: Amazingly Thin, Incredibly Powerful

Back in May, we introduced everyone to the XPS 15z, our first step into a new generation of thin and powerful laptops from Dell. It’s been nearly six months since our launch of the XPS z line, and while the XPS 15z has garnered a lot of great recognition from sites like PC MagazineCNET, and Engadget, our focus since then has been on figuring out how to take the next step and make them even better. During that time, our XPS design team was working diligently to learn from these reviews. They also listened to a lot of great feedback from our customers to make the newest member of our XPS family, the XPS 14z, the best that it can be.

Today, we are proud to introduce the new XPS 14z for customers in the United States. It will be available in select geographies worldwide starting November 15.The XPS 14z is the latest member of Dell’s portfolio of thin-and-powerful solutions, and the second such solution in the XPS family, joining the successful XPS 15z laptop. Dell’s thin-and-powerful solutions now include the Inspiron 14z laptop, and the Inspiron One all-in-one computer that are ideal solutions for parents and students. We recently released Vostro V131 laptop for small businesses as well. All solutions are designed to deliver impressive performance in beautiful packages. 

Here's an overview of the XPS 14z with Sam Burd. This video is viewable to customers in the United States and Canada: 

In terms of hardware, the XPS 14z offers very similar configurations compared to the XPS 15z. The XPS 14z features the latest standard voltage second-gen Core i5 and i7 processors paired with an NVIDIA GT 520M 1GB dedicated video card. In addition, the 14z is equipped with up to 8GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory and a 7200RPM hard drive comes standard as well (available in 500GB or 750GB options).  For those who want an extra boost of speed and data security, we are also offering the option for a 256GB SSD in your XPS 14z as well.

Just like the 15z, the XPS 14z showcases tremendous attention to detail in materials, quality, and craftsmanship. In my experience using the laptop for the past few days, the anodized aluminum body has felt absolutely solid without signs of body flex or squeaky noises. The matte finish on the outside does a great job to stay clean of any fingerprints and looks pretty slick too. In my opinion, I haven’t seen a Dell laptop as attractive and appealing in a long time. The XPS 14z resonates many of the design elements that made laptops like the XPS M1330 or Adamo really stand out with our customers.

As Dell continues to move towards thinner and lighter laptops, we’ve made a number of size and form improvements compared to the 15z. The XPS 14z is 0.9 inches (23mm) thin and weighs in at 4.36 lbs. While the 14z is only slightly thinner than its big brother, the real size difference becomes apparent when you look at the overall width of the two laptops. The XPS 14z features a gorgeous 14-inch display at a 1366x768 resolution.  In order to pack that 14-inch panel into a 13.1-inch frame, the XPS design team designed the screen with an astonishingly thin bezel. You may have to take a look at the picture below to really appreciate the amazing engineering used in showcasing the 14-inch display.

At 13.1 inches in width and 9.2-inches in depth, the 14z has a conveniently small footprint. I enjoyed how easy the 14z was to use on the move throughout the work day. The entire system felt rock solid as I carried it around and it even slid into my laptop bag easily right next to my 14-inch work system. And, at just over 4-lbs, I hardly even noticed the additional bulk or weight in my bag. The track pad on the 14z is spacious and comfortable. Rather than scaling it down proportionally, the 14z is equipped with the same roomy track pad that I enjoyed using in the larger 15z. In playing around with the multi-input gestures of the track pad; four-finger swipes, scrolls, and pokes all registered quickly, and pretty consistently.

XPS 15z (left) and the new XPS 14z (right).

Despite its small size, there are plenty of inputs and ports available on the 14z. Across the sides of the system you will find a slot-load 8X DVD +/- RW drive, (1) HDMI 1.4 out port, (1) Mini DisplayPort, (1) USB 3.0 port, (1) USB 2.0 port, a 7-in-1 media card reader, and audio jacks for microphone and headphone inputs as well. In this model, most of the ports mentioned above have been placed in a row at the rear of the laptop. With the 15z, some customers wondered about this port arrangement, and whether or not there is enough room for multiple devices and connections. After a quick test, I can safely confirm that every random plug I had available to me fit in just fine all at once. Granted, there may be some of you out there with rather creative flash drives or broad HDMI cables that may or may not run into some issues.

The final challenge within the XPS 14z was to pair the level performance and portability with strong battery life. As laptop designs continue to shift towards thinner and smaller systems, battery size and capacity become a balancing act. On the 14z, our engineers designed an 8-cell battery that provides ample power and performance without compromising the 0.9-inch size. Based on our own testing using MobileMark 2007, the Core i7 configuration with the dedicated graphics card and 7200RPM disk drive lasts up to 6 hours, 42 minutes on a full charge. Those with optional SSD drive can get more than 7 hours on a full charge as well. This is great for some users who always seem to be on the go. With the new XPS 14z, you can get great looking laptop that is more than capable of tackling whatever tasks you face throughout your day. More importantly though, all that power comes in a package that is portable, durable, and can last throughout your workday.

Here's a quick walkthrough of the key features of the XPS 14z:

The XPS 14z will be available on Nov. 1 in the United States and Canada, and in select retail stores nationwide.The 14z starts at $999 for the Core i5 configuration and $1299 for the more powerful, Core i7 setup. You can read more details about this system or and sign up to receive further updates on the XPS 14z product page. If you want to check out one the XPS 14z laptops in person, be sure to visit one of our 38 Dell locations coming to a mall near you this winter. If you have any comments or questions on this system, we would love to read them in the comment section below!

Update:  The XPS 14z is now available for customers in the United States and Canada to order. Click on the XPS 14z product page to take a look at pricing and configurations.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Nice interview and the 14z looks like a great system!

• No 1080p or even a 1600x900 display?  Guess I'll pass on this one too.

• Can you please let us know if we are going to have 1080p option later on, and if so when ?

• @kissfan003 and @qwe88: I checked with our XPS product team... here's what they shared:

The XPS 14z was designed to deliver a 14-inch laptop in the dimensions of a 13-inch.  Including a slim-bezel panel is a big part of enabling that design goal.  There are a limited number of choices for these 14” panels. One of the things Dell is exploring with our component vendors is enabling higher resolution panels in slim-bezel designs for future notebooks.

• @ Lionel Menchaca, Chief Blogger

Is this a clear "No" for another displayoption in the future for the xps14z? Perhaps read the anandtech-review at www.anandtech.com/.../dell-xps-14z-lots-of-features-in-a-small-package including the comments first before you answer.

• Lionel Menchaca, Chief Blogger,

I would appreciate if you can actually answer the question that was asked.

Like "WagD" said in the previous post, what are you really saying in your answer?

I did not ask the question about future notebooks, I am only interested in XPS 14z,

whether you are going to have 1080p option or not.

I have been waiting for this Laptop to come out for months and months,

and what Dell has released is a clear disappointment.

You downgraded the screen and NVIDIA card from the 15z laptop.

I do not understand Dell's strategy, first you ask users to post the ideas in the IdeaStorm site (which I did)

then you do something completely different when you release the product.

Take some time and read the XPS 14z reviews, they all complain about the screen and the lack of better resolution.

Can you please be more specific and try to answer the question that I already asked, otherwise if you do not know, let us know, so I can move on and buy different Laptop.

• @Lionel - Not shooting the messenger :-)  -  Thanks for the reply but, Samsung is getting ready to ship their 14 in ultrabook with a 1600x900 display.  Lenovo, and Apple are eating your market share too and they offer higher res screens in their higher end laptops. Heck, the Macbook Air 13 has a better screen @ 1440x900.  I would rather buy a Dell but they refuse to bring products to market that the people looking to spend $1000.00 to $1500.00 want to buy.  The only thing you have brought is the 14 inch Alienware.  I own one and love it, but I need something more portable.  Please quit letting the other guy eat your lunch (and market share) and bring something that we want to buy, not something that some are willing to settle for.

• @WagD and @qwe88:  We will only offer the 1366x768 display with the XPS 14z and don’t have plans to offer a higher resolution panel.  The thin bezel design was key in getting a 14” display in a 13” form factor.

If resolution is a key criteria, Dell does offer several other bigger XPS and Alienware laptops with 1080P display options, like Anandtech mentioned in the review.

• @kissfan03: Thanks for being a loyal Dell customer.. and hey, I appreciate the passion on the topic. Understand your points. If you can go bigger than a 14" laptop, the display on the XPS 15z is pristine.

• @Lionel

There are rumors that Dell has assigned ODM Wistron to produce a 14in ultrabook that will be presented at the Consumer Electronics Show 2012 (CES 2012) in January 2012 (see f.e. [among others] http://www.notebookcheck.com). Could it be that this is the future notebook you are mentioning in your answer and that for some customers looking for an 14inch high resolution Dell it could be worthwhile to wait another three months? Could you perhaps comment on these rumors and the specs of this ultrabook?

• I had the XPS 15 z for a couple of weeks before I returned it during the summer. I suspect that the 14z is as nice. The 15z was fast, thin, great screen, amazing battery life (able to work all day with out plugging in) and looked beautiful. So why did I return it? The trackpad was finicky, the speakers were tinny, and i could not get used to the keyboard layout. The keys themselves had excellent tactile feel. It was simply the layout that bothered me (no embedded number pad, pressing shift to access page down/up and home/end). In addition, I found the front edge did not sit comfortably on my palms (probably because I have poorer hand posture when typing....), the function key labels were too small to see well, and the fan noise was a tad excessive at times when plugged in. I ended up getting a Latitude e5420 instead - not as pretty as the xps 15z, but more functional for my style of keyboard entry. For the 15z I think I would rather see the keyboard real estate used to house a number pad on the right hand side rather than the speaker grills. I know not everyone will agree. On the 14z I would love to see a number lock to enable an embedded number pad as the Latitude e5420 has.

Anyways, these comments are not to knock this new line of XPS 15z and 14z. Rather, they are offered in the hopes that future models might incorporate some of these suggestions. Because the XPS 15z and 14z are beautiful laptops and for ultrathin, if not utralight, I do like the fact that Dell has chosen to include an optical drive as opposed to other ultrathins that have foregone the optical drive in favour of producing an ultralight laptop.

• @WagD: Can't comment on speculation regarding futue product plans. Will work to keep folks informed on official product stuff here on Direct2Dell.

@aras1: Thanks for the feedback ... will share it with our product teams. And also thnks for sticking with another Dell option. I hope the Latitude E5420 will serve you well for years to come.

• I was interested in the 14z with i7 and possibly 256GB SSD but it doesn't appear to be available on the website.

Is this going to be available later?

• @asawyer13

You will be able to find that configuration on the product page here, http://dell.to/qW4BHH, when we officially launch the XPS 14z within the US next Tuesday.

• @David

Thanks so much