Dell to repair broken hinges on Alienware M11x systems globally

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell to repair broken hinges on Alienware M11x systems globally

• Comments 78
If you’re an M11x owner like me, and you keep up with discussions on sites like Engadget and NotebookReview.com no doubt you’ve seen online that some folks have been having trouble with their M11x’s hinges. If you aren’t familiar, clicking on either link will take you to posts related to it.

As many of you know, we’ve already started repairing laptops with broken hinges.  For those who have still been waiting,  we’re hoping  to get you fixed up quickly. The reality is that many Alienware M11x customers never have any problems with their hinges. For Alienware M11x customers who have had problems, we now have a fix in place. Here’s the deal:

Dell will repair broken hinges on any Alienware M11x system for any R1 or R2 customer worldwide regardless of warranty status.

All  Alienware M11x R3 systems  already include the fixed hinge assembly, so if you have one of those, you’re all set. For R1 and R2 customers who have had problems with the hinges, a final fix is now available.

What does the fix entail, you ask?  For R1 and R2 customers who have hinge problems, we’re replacing the  LCD panel itself. The panel includes the hinge assembly as well. Wireless components are also part of the panel itself so those will be part of the replacement. See Dell  – Chris M’s Alienware M11x R1/ R2 FAQ for a bit more detail.

This fix is not meant to be pre-emptive. Please don’t contact us if your hinge assembly is working correctly. Like I mentioned before, most R1 or R2 Alienware M11x customers never experience any problems. Down the road, if you do, we will support you. Our goal is to make the replacement as easy as possible for any of our global customers who may have been impacted. If you’re an M11x owner who’s experiencing problems with the hinge assembly, please contact Dell Technical Support. Here’s how to do it:

Update from Lionel: If you purchased your M11x from a retail outlet like Best Buy or from another person, the system will not be registered under your name. Please take care of the ownership transfer first. For those of you who purchased from a retal outlet, visit Dell.com/Register, select the country where you are located (the United States page is here). and enter your information. Otherwise, if you purchased the M11x from another person, visit the Ownership Transfer site. You can either enter your service tag, or have it detected. You will also need the original owner's information to proceed.

Customers in the United States or Canada:

If you’re an M11x owner in the United States or Canada who has a problem with the hinge assembly, there are two options:

1) E-mail Dell Support at AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com; The e-mail address is provided  for customers in the United States and Canada and it’s set up to manage this repair order only. Please contact Dell Support for any other issues you may have with your M11x.

If you do e-mail the Alienware team, for the M11x hinge fix, please remember to include the following:

• In the subject line, please include “Alienware M11x Hinge Fix Needed”
  • your service tag #
  • the address where your machine is
  • phone number where you can be reached to coordinate the repair logistics, and the best time to reach you.

2) Contact standard Dell Tech Support. Here’s how to do it:

• Please visit support.dell.com
  •  Select Support for Home Users 
  • Go toward the bottom of the page, on the left hand side under Contact Us and select Contact Technical Support 
  • Finally, select your preferred method to contact Technical Support (choose either E-mail or Telephone).
  • When you talk to Technical Support, you can reference the following documents that outline the issue and the fix:
  1. Delta Knowledge ID: 401161
  2. DSN PSQN Document ID: 376475

Customers outside the United States:

If you’re an M11x owner in outside the US or Canada who has a problem with the hinge assembly, please contact Dell TechSupport in your region:

• Please visit support.dell.com
  •  Select your country from the top left drop down menu, then select Support for Home Users.
  • Go toward the bottom of the page, on the left hand side under Contact Us and select Contact Technical Support
  • Finally, select your preferred method to contact Technical Support (options include: E-mail or Telephone).
  • When you talk to Technical Support, you can reference the following documents that outline the issue and the fix:
  1. Delta Knowledge ID: 401161
  2. DSN PSQN Document ID: 376475

Customers in the regions, please be ready to provide your service tag number, the address and country where your system is located and two phone numbers where you can be reached to coordinate the repair logistics when you call Dell.

Other things to keep in mind:

1. Standard warranty types will apply, so you may be asked to mail your system if your original contract was the “return to depot” variety.This does change once your system is out of warranty—all systems no longer under warranty must be sent in for repairs. Once you’ve contacted Dell, you should hear from someone  within the next 5-7 business days to arrange the details of the repair.

2.  Please note the email address and phone numbers I provided in the bullet points above are to support R1 and R2 customers who need hinge replacements. If you are looking for tech support not related to the M11x hinge issue, please contact Alienware Community Forums on Dell.com.

Feel free to ask any questions related to the Alienware M11x hinge repair process in the comments below. Thanks again for your patience.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• If your hinges failed after your warranty expired and you repaired them your self with epoxy, will dell still honor this?

• Will this repair last for a long time? Because I sent my computer for repairs and the hinges are broken again. Also, I think my warranty has expired, must I have the warranty so I can send it for repairs? Or can I send it without warranty?

• @kameix1: Are you in the United States? If so, would recommend that you send an e-mail to: AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com. Please include the details John mentions and let them know what you shared here.

• pozotron9000: yes, the fix should last. Would recommend that you either contact Tech Support or e-mail AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com if you're in the US.

We'll fix the machine if you have issues with the hinge assembly regardless of warranty status.

• I have my M11x hinges fixed three times already. The first time right hinge lose/broke, the LCD was replaced and was working for couple week then the same thing happen to the left hinge. I sent in for repaired and the M11x came back with white supper clue spots on the LCD and hinge cover. They clued the back of the hinge cover to the back the bottom cover. I sent in again, this time they changed the LCD, hinge cover, and the bottom cover. It has been a week and I wonder if the hinges that was replaced will last or do I need to send in again?

• @Brandon28: If the latest fix does not last for some reason, we will take care of you.

Are you here in the United States? If so, I would recommend that you send an e-mail to: AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com with the same information you shared here.

Otherwise, if you are outside the US, please send an e-mail to Direct2Dell@Dell.com. We can make sure your details get to one of our global support teams.

• I am located in Nigeria there is no "Contact Technical Support " for my country, how do i go about getting hinges repair help?

• Arr_Yor: Thanks for checking. Would recommend that you send an e-mail to Direct2Dell@Dell.com with the following details:

• In the subject line, please include “Alienware M11x Hinge Fix Needed
    • your service tag #
    • the address and country where your system is located
    • two phone numbers where you can be reached to coordinate the repair logistics
  • Hm. I sent mine to Dell to repair and they decided not to fix it. Dell decided to say that it was my fault. I spent monthes to start using it again.

Now they agree that it theirs fault and can fix it for everyone ))) Thanks Dell  - I'll never buy your product again and will advide to others not to buy anything.

• In early December, I emailed AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com to repair an M11x. A gentleman responded to request that the system needed to be properly registered. I registered it to my customer (I'm a computer technician) and replied back. I have not gotten a reply from him again. I emailed AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com two more times along with an email to Direct2Dell@Dell.com with no reply. Lionel, can you help?

• I ended up changing the registered name/address of the M11x to my (the technician's) office instead of the end user and a tech came today to repair it. It works great now!

• repair seems kinda iffy. I just sold mine at www.brokendell.com

• I have now been waiting over 160 days and have called and emailed dell countless times, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I sent an email to AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com with the requested information, but I got an email reply which spoke of mailing me a part, rather than an email about the repair. Can someone help me?

• I emailed AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com 7 days ago and have not heard back. I sent another email today. I'm really really hoping this gets fixed for me. I felt so ripped off when my hinges fell apart, this was a $2,400 laptop, and omg I was SO EXCITED to see that you guys are owning up and fixing the hinges. I don't care if you mail me a part or if I have to mail in the laptop, I just want these hinges fixed please! I'll be so happy.

• I emailed them last week and I've already received the box they sent for free shipping. Very cool. For whatever reason, I assumed this was going to be a pain but it's going very smoothly. Thanks, Dell.