New Dell Venue Pro Firmware Revision Coming Next Month

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

New Dell Venue Pro Firmware Revision Coming Next Month

• Comments 34
I know many Dell Venue Pro users have reported issues with connecting or using Wi-Fi and with lockups. Take a look at sites like XDAdevelopers.com and PocketNow.com or just spend some time reading through the #dellvenuepro hashtag to see what I’m referring to.

The new firmware will be rolled out to customers with unlocked phones globally and to T-Mobile customers in the US around the middle of next month. This will be via the Zune update process. Beginning this week, customers who order the unlocked version of the Dell Venue Pro will receive the phone with version 2.12 of the firmware installed.

The main fix in the updated firmware is that it addresses the Wi-Fi and lockup issues. Here’s what was going on: the Wi-Fi and the user memory storage area both use the same DMA channel. So, if you downloaded a lot of data via Wi-Fi (like a game or other Marketpace app, or even a YouTube video) while the phone was trying to write to the user memory storage location, you sometimes see lockups due to a DMA conflict. In other words, lockups could occur when Wi-Fi data downloading conflicted with writing to the user memory storage location.

Over the past months, we had released previous firmware revisions like 2.06 and 2.10. The reality was that those interim firmware updates solved issues for some customers, but it did not solve all of them. As we gathered data from the other versions, we got more detail to come up with the new firmware revision. Testing-wise, we’ve been working with Microsoft, the carriers and even a few beta test customers like Malcolm Williams (@domineus on Twitter). Based on those tests, things are looking pretty good. Thanks to those of you who served as beta testers (@efjay01, Jesse Jewkes, @notebookgrail and others) and to all of you who have been waiting for this update. Check out Malcolm’s deep dive on the beta test on WMPoweruser.com for more information.

Like I mentioned before, existing global customers and T-Mobile customers will see this update beginning around mid-July . It does require the Microsoft March update and the security update, so if you’ like to get a jump on the process, I recommend that you install those now. When we get closer to the time of the update, I’ll blog about the process to walk you through it like I did for the March update.

To those of you who have been waiting for a fix to this and other issues, we appreciate your support. When I have new information to share on this topic, I’ll do it here. If you have questions or thoughts, feel free to leave a comment on this post, or ping me on Twitter ( @LionelatDell), or just check the #dellvenuepro Twitter hashtag from time to time.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Thanks Lionel for the update. It has been a long patient journey to get this fix in place. Kudos to Dell for getting the issues fixed.

• Sure thing. Thanks again for sticking with us.

• Any word on when this firmware will be released for AT&T phones?

• @Necrothug: Firmware is still in testing on the AT&T side. I don't have a definitive ETA at this point. Will let you know when that changes.

• What are the improvements that have been made since firmware 2250.1500.7004.105 to things like Bluetooth randomly disconnecting, some devices (BlueAnt Q2 in my case) oftentimes reporting back that the phone does not support voice commands when in fact it does (and will every so often), and finally when closing the slider -- if it closes in a situation where you just tap it on the top and shut it without bracing it or softening the impact of the close -- it just restarts off like you dropped it?

Overall I love the phone, but those are some major nuances I have with it and I've had it since February. I've not called support due to the horror stories of some and figured I'd just wait until the firmware update.  So, I really hope those issues have been address with the new firmware, or at least addressed in the old firmware and rolled up into this upcoming release.

• Good news.  Now that it's fixed, please find a way to bring this device to AT&T in the US...

• How does the firmware numbers you mention convert to those we see on our phones. Is it the last 3 digits?

For example, my firmware is 2250.1800.7355.210.

Good to see a Wifi fix was found and made for this Firmware, thanks for an excellent phone.

• Is there fixex for the camera in the firmware release because the camera is very poor.

• @notnice - +1, I am wondering the same thing

• There's a  list of what's included here: wmpoweruser.com/dell-venue-pro-users-new-fw-report

I hope they all made it in. Thanks for the update!

• Can you please check your pm's lionel.

I am having a problem with the dell d630 (known fault) nvidia issue, you asked people to pm if they had required help with getting it sorted under the warranty extension.

• @Mister_C - Unfortunately no mention of any Bluetooth issues being possibly fixed, how the camera itself might be better (instead it states there's 3 newer options), or how when on far too many occasions just simply plugging in the phone to charge (with still ~25% battery life remaining) will cause it to reboot.

I would like these issues addressed or at least acknowledged. I love the phone but how can I be certain any of my most frustrating issues, which are listed above, have been fixed to a point where I should trust updating the firmware when it comes out? If Lionel or another Dell rep (who actually knows what's coming) can address them, I'll be happy.

• @StatVoid: What version of the firmware are you running right now? Can you send me an e-mail with your service tag and details on the best way to contact you as well? Obviously, the rebooting thing should not be happening... after I hear from you, will ask someone to contact you to see what's going on.

• @bazajaytee: Yes, the last three digits are what determines your firmware. You have version 2.10 of it. The new one I'm referring to in this post is a later version.

• Thanks for the info (And tweet!) Lionel, happy to hear that you know the cause of the issue and will soon have the update out to resolve it.

Can't wait to be able to use WiFi and have the mango update, loving the phone so far but these will make it a whole lot better.

Also as a side note; @Bazajaytee, get back to work as you have deadlines to meet lol, less than 4 months to go!  Lol, only joking!  Can't wait until October, just have to keep playing BFBC2 for now though I guess!  To you and everyone else at Dice, keep up the great work!

M_Taylor40