First off, let me make this clear: the post that follows is my personal opinion and does not represent Dell’s views on the topic.

I’ve been following the considerable volume of reactions since Microsoft unveiled the concept behind Windows 8 that they unveiled last week at D9. The core of Microsoft’s strategy: Windows 8 will be the operating system that runs on all devices from laptops and desktops to smartphones and tablets. While it’s way too early to draw any conclusions, I like what I’ve seen so far. And I like that Microsoft is taking this kind of risk.

If you’re looking for a good overview of what Windows 8 is all about, read Ina Fried’s initial take. If you’re looking for a good overview that tees up some of the broader implications of Microsoft’s Windows 8 strategy, read Michael Mace’s Windows 8: The Beginning of the End of Windows post. I’d also recommend spending a few minutes to listen Walt Mossberg’s D9 interview with Steven Sinofsky, president of the Windows platform for Microsoft.

And if you haven’t seen it, check out Microsoft’s Windows 8 intro video. It has well over 3.2 million YouTube views at the time I wrote this.