Dell Leads with Sandy Bridge System Options; More Coming Soon

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell Leads with Sandy Bridge System Options; More Coming Soon

I’ve been blogging about the Intel Cougar Point chipset issue since not long after Intel released the details with media outlets and the blogosphere. My initial post regarding Intel’s Cougar Point chipset issue appeared early last month. I added two updates to that initial post, and eventually  published a second post on the topic. Throughout this process, we’ve worked to offer customers the most flexible options possible during the times where these systems were not being shipped.

One thing that seems to be getting overlooked throughout this process is the fact that Dell is shipping more new Sandy Bridge systems with updated Cougar Point chipset hardware than just about anyone else. In my February 22 post about the new XPS 15 and 17 laptops,  I made the point that both of them would be shipping with updated chipset hardware. Also, early this month, we began accepting new orders for several high-end desktops including the XPS 8300, Vostro 460 and Alienware Aurora R3 systems. The Alienware M17x R3 laptop is the latest example of a system we’ve begun shipping again.

Over the next six weeks, we’ll be expanding the number of systems that offer Intel’s latest technology beginning next week. Among the systems customers can expect: new Inspiron laptop options in the near term (next week) followed by a new ultra-slim notebook that will answer a few questions plus bring performance and style together in a big way. We’ll also have a slew of Sandy Bridge options for business customers in the coming weeks as well, including several Latitude laptops, OptiPlex desktops and Precision workstation desktop and laptop options.

Bottom line, if you’re looking for a system that offers some of the best performance you can currently buy, the second-generation Sandy Bridge processors are the answer. No other company is offering as many Sandy Bridge-based system options with the updated Cougar Point chipset than we are, and we’ll be increasing those options soon. 

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Spoken like a true salesman.  This simply validates that Dell is more interested in new sales than in attending to those of us who already have a system that needs a motherboard replaced.  What horrible customer service.

• I can not belive that company like Dell can do its business & survive in the market!

Horrible customer service!

It seems like Dell doesnot have any communication between its departments,

Reps do not know anything about you (Lionel) are saying.

No customer service, no future for the company.

• @ferretking and @K-Jul: Sorry that Dell hasn't taken care of you. It's my goal in this situation and with our blog strategy in general to be a lot more than a salesman.

Please either send me a an e-mail directly or send me a private message with detail about your order (and order number) and the best way to contact you. I will get your details to someone who can help.

• This is good news for others able to wait out Sandy Bridge (SB) debacle.  Unfortunately I was not able to wait and found an HP dvt7 quad edition which fits my needs very well - i7-2630QM (aka Sandy Bridge), discrete GPU and for less than $1k to boot.

I feel that Dell could have offered more than the XPS laptop line that utilized the SB infrastructure but saw dollar signs to be made by the XPS line instead.  Again, this is only an opinion I have.

I am still in the market for a desktop but I am holding out to see what the XPS 9100 will offer when it adopts the new SB technology.  Hopefully something semi-exciting like the Z68 motherboard.  My current desktop is one I bought from Dell almost 8 years ago.  I am very pleased with the quality and life I have received from it which is why I'm holding out for another Dell desktop.  But this high-powered laptop I got from HP has the potential to negate my need for a high-powered desktop and Dell could be losing one more, once life-long customer.

I hope Dell takes care of the other customers who shouldn't be waiting to have their new machines fixed...  Customer service should be a number one priority; that and quality is what leads to sales.  I think Dell still has the quality part of the equation figured out.

• @shoppedher1st: Thanks for the comment. To be sure, we definitely have plans to bring Sandy Bridge into a broader range of systems... not just high-end ones.

We are definitely planning on taking care of customers who have affected systems. Our teams are discussing some of those details right now, and I'll blog about how we're going to carry out that support.

Thanks again.

• I'm also curious if the XPS Studio 9100 will get a new look as well as the new Sandy Bridge processors (don't like the orangish-red, sorry).

• Great to hear all this good news from you Dell, but once again nothing to us out here that have systems, mine a XPS8300 and how you are going to handle us, to fix our problems. So where does that leave us?

• Thank you Lionel.  Looking forward to a thin and powerful Inspiron laptop in the next week.  I knew Dell could finally combine both in a laptop.  Hopefully the entire Inspiron line (14.1", 15.6", 17.3") will be overhauled and be thin.

• I just wish that the wait wasn't so painful...

14 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 30 seconds until my XPS 17 is estimated to arrive.  Here's to hoping that 15 day lead time turns out to be more like 10 days.  I would very much like to see my new system arrive, and I am not very good at being patient.  Not at all.

• i was a dell xps user but i sold it few weeks ago...  and planning to buy a new laptop and a new slim xps range seems to be great.. BUT when i googled about it there was a rumor that it will be missing optical drive option.. IS THIS RUMOR TRUE???if yes.. i sooooo am unhappy :( .... the second gen. xps is great BUTtttt its too bulky please give me some tips on my email id.. i REALLY NEED A PROFESSIONAL HELP

• I'd love the have more info on this... are 14" XPS among those new systems? Are ultra slims getting quad core sandy bridge? I need a small yet very powerful laptop and I just can't find it!

• Hello Lionel

When will the new XPS 8300s be available in Canada?

thanx

• All: I would advise you to read my wording carefully. Inspiron laptops coming next week... the ultra-slim is coming later.

Stay tuned to Direct2Dell.When the time comes, I'll do my best to do it justice.

• I ordered a new  XPS 8300 on 3/5/2011 with a ship date of 4/6/2011. It shipped on 3/9/2011 and I have to assume that it will have the new chip set but I was very surprised and concerned that it shipped so soon. I can't believe Dell would ship new machines with the old chip set but I didn't think they would have the new components until April. Should I be concerned?

• hi Lionel

i am a HP laptop user. This time i was willing to skip hp and choose dell. i selected a model xps 15 i7.

but then i came to know that it is now not available on dell site. nd the local dealers are selling the old one ( no sandy bridge) i contact so many time to dell customer care. but same reply all the time IT IS NOT AVAILABLE

they dnt have xps 15 laptop with or without sandy bridge.it is really really horrible.

i am from India. i dnt know why dell always released laptops in usa then Canada, Europe then in india. every time we have to wait for the laptops we wish to buy.

last time it happened i skip DELL nd choose HP. not because i liked hp more then dell.. it is because i had no time nd option as well. we can wait the delivery time period. but how can we wait all the time releasing of our favorite laptop in India. moreover we have no idea how much time it will take nd what will be the cost.

and in india dell laptops are more expensive then other country. Still we have to wait longer then all.

why?

now the only qus left in my mind is how long I have to wait this time? Or I have to choose HP again?

Please tell me is there any other way to bring xps 15 i7 laptop to india? because there is no 15 inches laptop in i7 processor wow no i7...

please be my guide nd help me out. nd tell me is there any way to purchase xps 15 i7 from usa.

thanks in advance.

• Spoken like a true salesman.  This simply validates that Dell is more interested in new sales than in attending to those of us who already have a system that needs a motherboard replaced.  What horrible customer service.

• I can not belive that company like Dell can do its business & survive in the market!

Horrible customer service!

It seems like Dell doesnot have any communication between its departments,

Reps do not know anything about you (Lionel) are saying.

No customer service, no future for the company.

• @ferretking and @K-Jul: Sorry that Dell hasn't taken care of you. It's my goal in this situation and with our blog strategy in general to be a lot more than a salesman.

Please either send me a an e-mail directly or send me a private message with detail about your order (and order number) and the best way to contact you. I will get your details to someone who can help.

• This is good news for others able to wait out Sandy Bridge (SB) debacle.  Unfortunately I was not able to wait and found an HP dvt7 quad edition which fits my needs very well - i7-2630QM (aka Sandy Bridge), discrete GPU and for less than $1k to boot.

I feel that Dell could have offered more than the XPS laptop line that utilized the SB infrastructure but saw dollar signs to be made by the XPS line instead.  Again, this is only an opinion I have.

I am still in the market for a desktop but I am holding out to see what the XPS 9100 will offer when it adopts the new SB technology.  Hopefully something semi-exciting like the Z68 motherboard.  My current desktop is one I bought from Dell almost 8 years ago.  I am very pleased with the quality and life I have received from it which is why I'm holding out for another Dell desktop.  But this high-powered laptop I got from HP has the potential to negate my need for a high-powered desktop and Dell could be losing one more, once life-long customer.

I hope Dell takes care of the other customers who shouldn't be waiting to have their new machines fixed...  Customer service should be a number one priority; that and quality is what leads to sales.  I think Dell still has the quality part of the equation figured out.

• @shoppedher1st: Thanks for the comment. To be sure, we definitely have plans to bring Sandy Bridge into a broader range of systems... not just high-end ones.

We are definitely planning on taking care of customers who have affected systems. Our teams are discussing some of those details right now, and I'll blog about how we're going to carry out that support.

Thanks again.

• I'm also curious if the XPS Studio 9100 will get a new look as well as the new Sandy Bridge processors (don't like the orangish-red, sorry).

• Great to hear all this good news from you Dell, but once again nothing to us out here that have systems, mine a XPS8300 and how you are going to handle us, to fix our problems. So where does that leave us?

• Thank you Lionel.  Looking forward to a thin and powerful Inspiron laptop in the next week.  I knew Dell could finally combine both in a laptop.  Hopefully the entire Inspiron line (14.1", 15.6", 17.3") will be overhauled and be thin.

• I just wish that the wait wasn't so painful...

14 days, 16 hours, 2 minutes and 30 seconds until my XPS 17 is estimated to arrive.  Here's to hoping that 15 day lead time turns out to be more like 10 days.  I would very much like to see my new system arrive, and I am not very good at being patient.  Not at all.

• i was a dell xps user but i sold it few weeks ago...  and planning to buy a new laptop and a new slim xps range seems to be great.. BUT when i googled about it there was a rumor that it will be missing optical drive option.. IS THIS RUMOR TRUE???if yes.. i sooooo am unhappy :( .... the second gen. xps is great BUTtttt its too bulky please give me some tips on my email id.. i REALLY NEED A PROFESSIONAL HELP

• I'd love the have more info on this... are 14" XPS among those new systems? Are ultra slims getting quad core sandy bridge? I need a small yet very powerful laptop and I just can't find it!

• Hello Lionel

When will the new XPS 8300s be available in Canada?

thanx

• All: I would advise you to read my wording carefully. Inspiron laptops coming next week... the ultra-slim is coming later.

Stay tuned to Direct2Dell.When the time comes, I'll do my best to do it justice.

• I ordered a new  XPS 8300 on 3/5/2011 with a ship date of 4/6/2011. It shipped on 3/9/2011 and I have to assume that it will have the new chip set but I was very surprised and concerned that it shipped so soon. I can't believe Dell would ship new machines with the old chip set but I didn't think they would have the new components until April. Should I be concerned?

• hi Lionel

i am a HP laptop user. This time i was willing to skip hp and choose dell. i selected a model xps 15 i7.

but then i came to know that it is now not available on dell site. nd the local dealers are selling the old one ( no sandy bridge) i contact so many time to dell customer care. but same reply all the time IT IS NOT AVAILABLE

they dnt have xps 15 laptop with or without sandy bridge.it is really really horrible.

i am from India. i dnt know why dell always released laptops in usa then Canada, Europe then in india. every time we have to wait for the laptops we wish to buy.

last time it happened i skip DELL nd choose HP. not because i liked hp more then dell.. it is because i had no time nd option as well. we can wait the delivery time period. but how can we wait all the time releasing of our favorite laptop in India. moreover we have no idea how much time it will take nd what will be the cost.

and in india dell laptops are more expensive then other country. Still we have to wait longer then all.

why?

now the only qus left in my mind is how long I have to wait this time? Or I have to choose HP again?

Please tell me is there any other way to bring xps 15 i7 laptop to india? because there is no 15 inches laptop in i7 processor wow no i7...

please be my guide nd help me out. nd tell me is there any way to purchase xps 15 i7 from usa.

thanks in advance.