Streak 5 Froyo Update for AT&T and Rogers Customers is Here

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Streak 5 Froyo Update for AT&T and Rogers Customers is Here

If you spend a couple of minutes reading through the #dellstreak hashtag on Twitter, it doesn't take long for you to see that many AT&T Streak 5 customers want to know when the Froyo update is coming their way. Same goes for Rogers customers in Canada. Today, I can answer that question—we're rolling it out to AT&T and Rogers customers now. 

The update process is very similar to the process that Amy had blogged about. Soon, when you boot up your phone, you'll see a screen like the one below. From that point on, the process is pretty straightforward, but if you want to see it outlined in more detail, look back at Amy's post

I know that many of you have waited for this update to come. We definitely appreciate your patience in getting to this point, and hope you enjoy the Streak with the update OS.

Once you upgrade to Froyo, here are some things you might want to check out:

• Flash support: Sure, down the road, HTML 5 will play a heavier role in mobile browsing, but the fact is that many sites on the web still use Flash.
  • Twitter: Simply put, the recently-updated version 2.0 of the native Twitter client rocks.
  • Skype: Video calling may not be an option yet, but if you use the app on your desktop or notebook it's a no-brainer to use it on Android. Plus, it's a useful option for cost-effective global calls.  
  • All kinds of browser options: Dolphin HD is great if you like to browse with several tabs open. Skyfire 3.2 is a great option if you like to share a lot of content. Mozilla's Firefox for Android which is in beta now also look to be a promising option. Most of these higher-end browser options require Android 2.0 or later.

The other new thing you'll notice is Dell's Stage software. Our goal with it is to make give you easier access to the apps and the files you use the most. To learn more about Stage, take a look at the Stage section of Amy's post, or spend a couple of minutes watching Jenn K. Lee's good overview over at Streak Smart.

Thanks again for the having the patience to get to this point. If you have some other apps you use all the time that require Android 2.0 or later, I'd love to hear about them in the comments.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• About time.

Now can i be the first to ask, where's gingerbread? :P

• Fone_Fanatic: Thanks for the interest in Gingerbread :)

• LOL! I'm still waiting for Dell for my replacement Streak since January 5th 2011, It's now February 23rd, almost 3 months gone by. Android Froyo 2.2 is now out for Rogers and AT&T, I guess by the time I get the replacement unit, Honeycomb will be out. Nothing like a company on the trailing edge of business and technology!

• Streak Unusable after upgrade!!!!

On first reboot - "The application Calendar Storage (process com.android.providers.calendar) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

Clicking on "Force close"

Reappears, with "System exception: QUIT | Copy log to SD Card | Report by LOTA"

and that keeps going and goind endlessly...

The UI responds between the crashes, as long the "System exception" shows up, it's over and over again.

SOMEBODY FROM DELL - can you confirm that? My phone is close to bricked now...

• I get an error while I try to upgrade. Error status 7. What is going on here?

• I will keep posting here my ordeal...

I managed to do a "Factory Reset" (Settings -> Privacy), with lot of clicking on "Force Close" and "Quit" between them, and after restart it seems to work "Properly". Thanks, GOD, I made a backup before that !

For now, I will hold off on restore, but this is scary... I can't believe what will happen with not-so-technical-savvy person seeing that his $200/$500 phone is just a brick...

• @ZVM1638 Sorry about the delay. Feel free to contact me via a private message or a direct e-mail to move this forward.

• @Alabalcho and @debsahu: Sorry for the trouble. I've asked someone from our mobility team to follow up with you.

• Have opening screen buy cannot go beyond the first screen....HELP !!

• @Lionel Menchaca - I'm good, after the reset. I wonder whether somebody would be interested in pre-upgrade state.

I had the phone for about 2 months, have installed "standard" application (CoPilot, couple of navigations, couple of bubbles/compasses, nothing fancy), and had one GMail + two Yahoo (IMAP) mail accounts. Tried to use TouchDown as a temporary solution for sync with Outlook, but gave up.

• Any chance the image is available for download?

• I also have the same problem as noted below.  HELP!

Streak Unusable after upgrade!!!!

On first reboot - "The application Calendar Storage (process com.android.providers.calendar) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

The UI responds between the crashes, as long the "System exception" shows up, it's over and over again.

• I followed the trail below and now my phone works, possibly, but I have lost everything.

This sucks.

Alabalcho 02-23-2011 4:07 PM

I will keep posting here my ordeal...

I managed to do a "Factory Reset" (Settings -> Privacy), with lot of clicking on "Force Close" and "Quit" between them, and after restart it seems to work "Properly". Thanks, GOD, I made a backup before that !

For now, I will hold off on restore, but this is scary... I can't believe what will happen with not-so-technical-savvy person seeing that his $200/$500 phone is just a brick...

• Gingerbread is good. Lionel, I have one more question. How about honeycomb? :)))

• to everyone getting "force close"s you need to factory reset your phones. yes you will loose everything but your jumping 1.6 to 2.2 so suck it up.

turn your streak off. Hold both volume buttons (up and down) then power the device on while continuously holding the volume buttons down.

You should then be at a screen with the options to "1. Factory Reset" if that is not highlighted then press a volume button till it is, then press the camera button and voila! your streak is fresh and clean with OTA 2.2 :D

if your bitching about losing all your data, then go buy an iphone

• About time.

Now can i be the first to ask, where's gingerbread? :P

• Fone_Fanatic: Thanks for the interest in Gingerbread :)

• LOL! I'm still waiting for Dell for my replacement Streak since January 5th 2011, It's now February 23rd, almost 3 months gone by. Android Froyo 2.2 is now out for Rogers and AT&T, I guess by the time I get the replacement unit, Honeycomb will be out. Nothing like a company on the trailing edge of business and technology!

• Streak Unusable after upgrade!!!!

• I get an error while I try to upgrade. Error status 7. What is going on here?

• I will keep posting here my ordeal...

• @ZVM1638 Sorry about the delay. Feel free to contact me via a private message or a direct e-mail to move this forward.

• @Alabalcho and @debsahu: Sorry for the trouble. I've asked someone from our mobility team to follow up with you.

• Have opening screen buy cannot go beyond the first screen....HELP !!

• @Lionel Menchaca - I'm good, after the reset. I wonder whether somebody would be interested in pre-upgrade state.

I had the phone for about 2 months, have installed "standard" application (CoPilot, couple of navigations, couple of bubbles/compasses, nothing fancy), and had one GMail + two Yahoo (IMAP) mail accounts. Tried to use TouchDown as a temporary solution for sync with Outlook, but gave up.

• Any chance the image is available for download?

• I also have the same problem as noted below.  HELP!

Streak Unusable after upgrade!!!!

• I followed the trail below and now my phone works, possibly, but I have lost everything.

This sucks.

Alabalcho 02-23-2011 4:07 PM

I will keep posting here my ordeal...

• Gingerbread is good. Lionel, I have one more question. How about honeycomb? :)))

• to everyone getting "force close"s you need to factory reset your phones. yes you will loose everything but your jumping 1.6 to 2.2 so suck it up.

turn your streak off. Hold both volume buttons (up and down) then power the device on while continuously holding the volume buttons down.

You should then be at a screen with the options to "1. Factory Reset" if that is not highlighted then press a volume button till it is, then press the camera button and voila! your streak is fresh and clean with OTA 2.2 :D

if your bitching about losing all your data, then go buy an iphone