Consumers are looking to recycle in record numbers

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Consumers are looking to recycle in record numbers

The EPA estimates that 82 percent of electronics end up in landfills. Pretty bleak… but there’s hope!  I'm encouraged to see things Best Buy's recycling billboard urging consumers to recycle their old electronic equipment. There's other positive signs as well—according to Earth911’s 2009 Annual Recycling Report, more people are seeking information on how to recycle their electronics. Recycling searches on the site last year were at the highest level in Earth911’s history.

The top 10 products consumers looked to recycle in 2009 using Earth911's database were:

1. Computers
  2. Batteries
  3. Televisions
  4. Paint
  5. Aluminum Cans
  6. Used Motor Oil
  7. CFLs
  8. Glass
  9. Fluorescent Lamps
  10. Christmas Trees

Not sure what to do with your old computer? Have you checked out www.dell.com/recycle? We’ll recycle your old Dell at no charge. You can print out a free shipping label and mail it to us, or we’ll come pick it up at your home. We’ll also recycle any brand of computer at no charge when you purchase a new Dell system.

Have (gasp!) a non-Dell computer? No problem. Drop it off at one of 1,900 participating Goodwill stores or 1,500 Staples stores in the United States. They’ll recycle it for free, too. Or Dell will recycle it for you for a small fee.

For us, we just want more people to know that 1) they SHOULD recycle their old electronics, and 2) doing so is easier than they might think. We’re glad our friends over at Earth911 are around to help consumers learn about their options.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Could Dell please tell me what they mean when they say my computer will be recycled??

What weight portion of my plastics will be turned into new plastics products?

What weight portion of my glass will be turned into new glass products?

What weight portion of the E-waste is turned into new products?

Thank you - I will await your response.

• PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM ALL CATALOG MAILINGS. IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF GLOBAL WARMING THIS FORM OF ADVERTISING IS NOT IN OUR BEST INTEREST. THANKS!

I have tried for a long, LONG time to get off the Dell catalog mailing list. So have others. Just Google "Get off Dell Catalog Mailings."

I have called. Emailed. Called. Emailed.Mailed in requests.

I want to see some GREEN action or is DELL all TALK. Somebody email me and lets GET ME OFF THE CATALOG MAILINGS. I don't like destroying the planet when I do't have to. Oh sure it's recycled paper or some botch up story. Who cares? Making recycled paper uses energy and so does the truck that carries the bundle of millions of catalogs and so does the ink factory. GET ME OFF ONCE AND FOR ALL!! I own three Dell PCs and they will be my last IF GREEN DELL DON'T GET ME OFF!!