The M11x is Finally HERE!

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

The M11x is Finally HERE!

I recall a time not so long ago I sat in the line at Quakecon and marveled at the gaming rigs devout fans brought with them to the BYOC. Some people's systems were stock Dells, some folks had gargantuan XPS systems and Alienware ALX's, and some folks had huge monstrosities apparently created by their own two hands. It was a gaming convention, and these folks were gamers. Power was their main concern, not portability. Like many aching backed attendees, I longed for the day when portability wouldn't necessarily be sacrificed for power in a gaming hardware.

I'm happy to announce that day has finally arrived. You can now own the first genuine mobile gaming solution on the planet: the Alienware M11x!

You may have seen the announcements at CES, or seen us give away 4 of them before you could buy them, or even seen the video I shot with Katie on Engadget. Now customers in the United States, Canada, the UK, France and Germany, Japan and other parts of Asia can order the M11x soon.

Here's a good overview of what you can expect from the Alienware M11x from Bryan Dezayas and Frank Azor from the Alienware team:

I saw that Scatmanbrandt asked whether the M11x could drive an external monitor... yes, through HDMI, DisplayPort or VGA, the NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M supports resolutions up to 2560x1200. I had a chance to catch Lenard Swain, one of the lead engineers on the M11x project, on camera last time I was in the lab. Check it out:

A quick rundown of what you can get on an Alienware M11x:

• Up to an Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 processor
  • 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M graphics solution
  • Up to 8GB DDR3 1066MHz Memory
  • Up to a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive, or a 256GB solid state drive
  • An 11 inch WLED High Definition widescreen "edge-to-edge" 720p display

All this hardware in a machine that weighs about 4.5 pounds, this system truly redefines portability in gaming. I expect to see more than a few of these next time I go to Quakecon, or the next time I hit a LAN party.

For more details you can go to www.alienware.com/m11x.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Interested as to why these don't use the new Arrandale i5's proc's or similar - given that the SU's seem to benchmark significantly lower. Assume it's a power usage / balance thing?

• While I can't discuss the reasoning behind engineering decisions like this for obvious reasons, I can say there were reasons behind the decision. :-)

• maybee the i5s are more expensive then the c2d...and then you would complain about price...just saying Smile

• Is this what the engineers have been working on?

Would have thought working out a fix for the exsisting customers who have bought an M17x

and have not had them working for the last 4 months would have been a priority,

M11x looks like a nice piece of kit, hope it works unlike the M17x

• Those are 2 different departments.

• I still love Alienware though!

Just ordered an Area51 Alx!  so no money for an M11x, maybe.

• My M1330 is getting a little long in the tooth and this looks like a great replacement except there is no way I can walk into an office and be taken seriously with that thing.

• ilRosewood: Hmmm... have you seen the Vostro V13? Take a look at this blog post for more detail.

• my question is ..
    will be defective like m17x ???
    and stuttering