The Dell Inspiron Mini Family Welcomes the New Mini 10

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

The Dell Inspiron Mini Family Welcomes the New Mini 10

Like Chris and Lionel both mentioned in previous posts, today the Mini family welcomes a new family member today: the redesigned Mini 10, which we introduced just before the holidays. This latest Mini 10 blends new Atom technology from Intel with a slimmer, trimmer design, and a few optional features that expand its repertoire of capabilities.

Let's start with the design. The easiest way to differentiate the 2010 Mini 10 from the 2009 model is the white base. Lift up the display and you'll find another subtle difference - a comfortable 92% keyboard with scalloped keys bordered by a palm rest that is slightly textured, making it basically "smudge proof." The next thing to look for is the "hinge forward" design (see image at left, click on it to see a larger version), which basically means the battery extends slightly beyond the bottom edge of the open display and allows for the slimmer profile. Now, one key thing about that battery - we will offer three battery options: a 3-cell (~4 hours) and two 6-cells (~8.5 and ~9.5 hours) and they are all the same physical size! That's right - this Mini 10 will definitely fit into your favorite bag regardless of which battery you purchase.

Certainly the Inspiron Mini has become the companion device that spends the majority of the day out and about, carried here and there, keeping you productive and connected. But now, after the work is done for the day, the Inspiron Mini 10 stands ready to treat you to a great entertainment experience on the go. In the coming weeks we will offer  Mini 10 bundles with features like an HD display, SRS audio and Broadcom's Crystal HD media accelerator, which will deliver smooth, stutter-free HD video from streaming video sites like hulu.com, abc.com (note to hubby: date night Feb. 2 - Lost), YouTube, etc. For those that are interested in a deeper dive, Anandtech has a good technical overview of Broadcom's technology.

We will also offer bundles with built-in GPS with turn-by-turn navigation and location-aware capability via Wi-Fi or a built-in HDTV receiver so you can catch favorite shows real time via local over the air broadcasts. On a side note, the Inspiron Mini 10 has been selected to be included in a Mobile DTV trial program taking place later this spring in the Washington D.C. area. Mobile DTV is a broadcast standard (ATSC M/H) that allows devices to receive DTV broadcasts while actually moving, like on a commuter train. For those of you attending CES, you can see a technology demo of the Inspiron Mini 10 with Mobile DTV at the Mobile TV TechZone (Booth #10749).

So that about wraps up the list of updates on the redesigned Inspiron Mini 10. Of course includes standard features like a webcam, Wi-Fi and Windows 7 Starter, and will support built-in mobile broadband, Windows XP and an Ubuntu-based OS in the coming weeks. And you'll still be able to customize the exterior with one of six color choices, or one of 200-plus original designs from the Dell Design Studio.  Starting at $299, I think of the Mini 10 as a digital Swiss army knife, with multiple functions, keeping me connected, productive, and entertained. You can see more photos of the new Inspiron Mini 10 in this Flickr photos set.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Sounds great. Is there a time line when Design Studio will be available in Germany for the Mini 1012? Currently it is available for the Studio 15 and 17 with only a few designs. I would like to choose between 200 designs as it is possible in USA.

• Can some one at Dell who understands what is actually happening in side of the company tell us why the new mini 10 does not have 2GB ram. The most asked for upgrade.

Is there some technical reason behind this or some agreement between companies or what.

Also why only the starter edition of Windows 7 really is a waste of time or is it that 1GB ram wont support any thing else. Windows Home Premium would make so much more sense.

Come on Dell, tell us what the reasoning is behind your thinking. Its your system so you should know.

• There are no manuals available for download yet, I just wondered if the new Mini 10 will be also passively cooled, like the previous HD version. It is also not clear if there's going to be a high-res screen option...

• GrkBtnd: I'll have to check on the cooling. There will be an HD screen option, just like the original Mini 10.

• On the UK site it says new Mini 10 with 2Gb Ram !

But no way of oerdering it. Well is it or is it not ?

• I am a little late to the party, but this notebook is amazing. I travel to a lot of different sporting events, nhl, boxing, mma, soccer, etc, and this netbook does not even require a typical camera bag used by most photographers. It fits right into one of the side pockets, neoprene sleeve and all. I am not going to be able to run 1 or 2 of the most gpu heavy photo and video editing programs, as expected, but there are smaller and more lightweight programs that do the trick. I had photo, video and audio editing set up in a hour, and now I can write, shoot, and post video/audio multimedia from events without even having to lug in a big lowepro bag. Only downside from a photographer perspective was the lack of a CF slot in the card adapter (mostly only needed by pros w/ DSLRs) Video cam also will let me do interviews, or maybe even a livestream for a local or minor league event (with permission). Great tool, hopefully I can add a few upgrades to make it even better.

• THE DELL INSPIRON MINI IS A COMPLETE PIECE OF JUNK!!! AND DELL HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES - YOU ARE SHIPPED TO INDIA WHERE YOUR SERVICE REP DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!  I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL PRODUCT AGAIN - EVER~!

• Sounds great. Is there a time line when Design Studio will be available in Germany for the Mini 1012? Currently it is available for the Studio 15 and 17 with only a few designs. I would like to choose between 200 designs as it is possible in USA.

• Can some one at Dell who understands what is actually happening in side of the company tell us why the new mini 10 does not have 2GB ram. The most asked for upgrade.

Is there some technical reason behind this or some agreement between companies or what.

Also why only the starter edition of Windows 7 really is a waste of time or is it that 1GB ram wont support any thing else. Windows Home Premium would make so much more sense.

Come on Dell, tell us what the reasoning is behind your thinking. Its your system so you should know.

• There are no manuals available for download yet, I just wondered if the new Mini 10 will be also passively cooled, like the previous HD version. It is also not clear if there's going to be a high-res screen option...

• GrkBtnd: I'll have to check on the cooling. There will be an HD screen option, just like the original Mini 10.

• On the UK site it says new Mini 10 with 2Gb Ram !

But no way of oerdering it. Well is it or is it not ?

• I am a little late to the party, but this notebook is amazing. I travel to a lot of different sporting events, nhl, boxing, mma, soccer, etc, and this netbook does not even require a typical camera bag used by most photographers. It fits right into one of the side pockets, neoprene sleeve and all. I am not going to be able to run 1 or 2 of the most gpu heavy photo and video editing programs, as expected, but there are smaller and more lightweight programs that do the trick. I had photo, video and audio editing set up in a hour, and now I can write, shoot, and post video/audio multimedia from events without even having to lug in a big lowepro bag. Only downside from a photographer perspective was the lack of a CF slot in the card adapter (mostly only needed by pros w/ DSLRs) Video cam also will let me do interviews, or maybe even a livestream for a local or minor league event (with permission). Great tool, hopefully I can add a few upgrades to make it even better.

• THE DELL INSPIRON MINI IS A COMPLETE PIECE OF JUNK!!! AND DELL HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE UNITED STATES - YOU ARE SHIPPED TO INDIA WHERE YOUR SERVICE REP DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH!  I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL PRODUCT AGAIN - EVER~!