Dell's First CULV System: The Inspiron 11z

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Inspiron 11z Laptop (open - angled view)

You may have seen some posts on the Inspiron 11z from sites like Gizmodo and Crave. Today, we're making it official. The Inspiron 11z blends netbook-like portability with laptop-like capability. It weighs about 3 lbs. and is about an inch thin so it's easy to carry and stay connected, yet has the capability to deliver smooth HD video playback, and battery life of more than three hours. The bigger difference is inside, or under the hood if you will. Whereas netbooks are based on the Intel Atom processor and feature minimal memory, the Inspiron 11z is based on the CULV processor family combined with more memory which delivers better performance.

Note: Click on either of the images below to see a larger version. To see more images of the Inspiron 11z, click on this photo set in Flickr.

Some may see this as a validation of Michael Arrington's position on why we discontinued the Mini 12 - not true. The launch of the Inspiron 11z is absolutely a validation of customer feedback asking us to design a netbook-like device with a netbook-ish price point that is capable of handling traditional laptop activities. Voila, the Inspiron 11z is now available for $399 in the U.S. on and starting Aug. 25 will be available in Carphone Warehouse in the U.K. and the Phone House in France.

Dell has always positioned netbooks, a.k.a. Minis, as companion devices - miniature laptops that are easy to slip into a bag or briefcase and use while on the go. The Dell Minis are designed for typical 30-minute online session, sandwiched between smartphones (good for about 3 minutes because of tiny screens and keyboards) and full-featured laptops (full-sized keyboards, expansive HD screens). The Dell Mini 10/10v are perfect for consuming content, like checking email, posting updates on social media sites, Tweeting, surfing, looking for the latest "crasher squirrel" mashups, etc.

Since netbooks are easy to carry and go anywhere, some fell victim to user "feature creep" - with people loading favorite applications so they could create content documents, spreadsheets, or presentations, organizing and editing photos, or even video etc. As Lionel clarified with Arrington, we saw this first hand with the Mini 12 - it was a classic case of "it looks like a duck" or in this case a typical laptop. But when customers loaded it up like a typical laptop, the user experience took a hit: performance might seem slower, applications could at times balk, HD video playback occasionally stuttered. Hence the Inspiron 11z - small, sleek, easy to carry, strong battery life, better performance versus a netbook, all at a great price. And, for those of you who need it now, the initial Inspiron 11z configuration is part of our quick ship program, meaning we ship the system within a day or two of receiving your order. I expect it to be featured on our FastTrack page by the end of the week.

Inspiron 11z (right side view)

A few more facts about the Inspiron 11z - as I mentioned, today you can purchase a pre-configured system for $399 including that features:

• Intel Celeron 723 processor (1.2GHz)
  • 2GB memory
  • 250GB hard Drive
  • Built in Wi-Fi, 1.3MP Webcam
  • 11.6-inch HD (1366x768) display (up to 70 percent more screen content than a netbook with a standard 1024x600 display)
  • 28WHr battery with approximately 3 hours of battery life
  • Windows Vista Home Premium WITH free upgrade kit to Windows 7
  • And to paraphrase Henry Ford: you can get in and any color you like long as it's Obsidian Black.

There will be more configuration options down the road. The Inspiron 11z is our first step into the "thin and light with great battery life" space - so stay tuned, we'll also be expanding the portfolio in the future.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Checked it out..I will wait till they have the broadand card for it  and a cople other things..Price is good but I need broadband.. Looked at mini 10 but you can't upgrade the memory..I am sure they will add moe to he 11. Then I will purchase..Thanks for the update..

• "There will be more configuration options down the road. The Inspiron 11z is our first step into the "thin and light with great battery life" space - so stay tuned, we'll also be expanding the portfolio in the future."

VERY NEAR Future I hope!!..

• please, please, PLEASE make the 6 Cell battery integrate -into- the machine and not stick out the bottom like the M1330, M1530 and Minis.  It completely defeats the purpose of having a 'thin' laptop when you've got a 3" lump in the trunk.  Seriously.  It's the fashion equivalent of a fanny pack.

If the 6 Cell battery doesn't look awful, this will be my next machine!

• Nice! When can we configure it with different colors?

• Sounds very good :). Is there a chance to get the honey here in Europe (e.g. Germany), too?

• Nice machine!When can we order it in Canada?

• Will the 11z have a fan?

• When will it be available in Hong Kong~!?!?

• As an on-the-road photographer, the size, weight, and screen resolution make this a great option.  I'm just looking for something very portable that I can run Lightroom and Photoshop on, so this fits the bill perfectly.  I'll be ordering mine later this week.  Is more RAM supported past 2GB?

• When new battery options are introduced for the 11z, will it be possible to add a 6-cell to the version being sold today?  Or should I wait to buy the notebook until the battery is upgraded?  

• What happened to the price?? The 11z is now $449.00 (base price). If this is the new price, it is no longer comparable to it's competitors.

• Seems interesting. Throw in a SU4100 or SU7300 and either a user upgradable hard drive or the option for a fast ssd and i'd take three.
  • "Voila, the Inspiron 11z is now available for $399 in the U.S. on and starting Aug. 25 will be available in Carphone Warehouse in the U.K. and the Phone House in France."

It was $399. Now when I look at it on the dell home website it's selling for $449. The specs seem the same. Why the 12.5% price hike?

• Yes I would also like to know why the price has changed from $399 to $449.

• sebre: Yes, the 11z has a fan. The processor may be low-voltage, but the processor and other components still generate heat.

• @Sindhudweep, deebrien and Deinline5: Checked into the price change. The $399 base price was a promotional price. The standard price for the base configuration is $449.

• " yet has the capability to deliver smooth HD video playback" - refering to the 11z

" HD video playback occasionally stuttered" -refering to the mini 12

As someone who is currently in a support "purgatory" of sorts this would have been nice to know before I ordered my mini 10. Though
    Dell clearly advertises the laptop as capiable of handling HD content- video even, and tailors a display to this effect, the system cannot actually handle HD video content without fits and starts, seemingly controverting its advertising. 3 salespeople have also claimed unequivocally to me that the mini10 can handle HD content. I purchased the machine upon these assurances, and was sad to see that the mini10 cannot actually handle this content. Why advertise a product such as the mini10 as capiable of being able to handle HD video when it can't? While I wait (and wait, and wait) on resolution to my problem I can only caution others to regard claims made by Dell advertisements with skepticism.

Solution: Make it clear though the display shows a 720p image, it might not actually be able to handle 720p video. HP does this with their 10" netbook. If I would have seen the same warnings from Dell, I would have avoided ordering my mini and opted for something more like the 11z (though the lack of an extended battery option on ordering is strange) or the Studio 14. Now I feel as though Dell has sold me a product that does not live up to its advertised claims.

Caveat Emptor, now more than ever.

• Ahh thanks for the clarification. Not sure if you can answer this, but do you have any information if there are any available upgrades in the pipeline? Searching online other unnamed manufacturers are shipping the dual core SU4100 which seems pretty appealing. Also an ssd option might be nice.

• I'm with bearwithme, wait for the broadband card, otherwise nice little number.

• I looked at this 11z for a month before buying.  The little "Netbooks" just didn't cut it for me.

I have been carrying a Studio 1537 for a year but I just plain got tired of hauling it  around.  

Enter the 11z.  I took advantage of the offer for the discounted mod with the Pentium SU4100 1.30GHz / 4 gigs ram  320 G HD /  Dell 11n wireless / win 7 64 bit / 6 cell batt.

They have also redone the track pad, including 2 buttons like most others.

Only had it for a day but so far so good.  

Other than the gloss black fingerprint magnet finish, ( why they did that I don't know but is is a minor nuisance)  I have not noticed any cons as of this time.

It is lite.... seems sturdy..  I carry in a backpack out of town 2wice a week... so I hope it can take some abuse.  

It really does seem like a almost perfect fit if the netbooks don't have the horsepower needed and I can certainly live w/o a dvd drive..

I'll just add that without the discount I used that brought it down over 250 I would not have paid the retail price as advertised. Think that's a bit high IMO.

Nice size and weight so far...  

• Oh yeah,  The 6 cell battery,  jmo but I think it gives the unit just the right angle on a flat surface for the keyboard..   I don't see it as a negative at all.