2GB RAM Option for Mini 10 is Finally Here

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

2GB RAM Option for Mini 10 is Finally Here

• Comments 28
Mini 10 2GB promo Since we introduced the Mini 10 back in February, the most common question on my blog post about it was when we would offer the 2GB configuration. Back in May, IdeaStorm user Birdman8232 submitted 2GB on the Mini 10 as an idea on IdeaStorm. It’s also been one of the most common questions we continue to get via @Dell_Mini on Twitter.

I knew this was coming, but didn’t realize it was already live until I saw Matrix-2002’s comment on the blog post and @Stevehoward999 tweet to @Dell_Mini.

If you are a customer in the United States who’s been waiting for the 2GB option, you can order it by clicking here, or by clicking on the image on the left. The config we’re offering is a promotional offer, but you can still choose a few options. However, like @Stevehoward999 mentioned, the GPS and TV tuner are not an option for the config. It’s also worth noting that this promo config comes with Vista Home Basic and SP1. While I’m on the topic of the config, I’ll mention that if screen real estate matters to you, the high-definition 1366x768 panel is worth considering in my opinion.

Right now, it looks like this 2GB configuration is only offered in the United States. I’ll share details about 2GB RAM availability in other countries as soon as I have them. I’ll also try to update the post when the GPS and TV tuner are available as options on the 2GB config.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Oh stop tempting this poor Granny! I would love one of these and it just gets better and better. Mind you I would have to wait until it was available in the UK, so better get saving up the pennies from me pension! I love these Netbooks! Would far rather use one of these than a mobile phone for surfing the net!

thanks Dell

• When the 2gb option is applicable to the Ubuntu version you'll have my order. I'm planning on a fully loaded Mini.

Not a chance I'm buying a Windows anything at any price.

• Since my iMac blew a power supply last week my MacBook is tethered to my desk by yards of USB, Firewire, DVI and power cords. Yes, I'm a Mac owner. I'm into the 'nix's not Windows. The Dell Mini would be a great netbook for me since most of what I do is internet related. I want to stay with Dell since I have a Dell display and we have a Dell laptop in the house. But 1gb even with a system as light as Ubuntu won't leave a lot of free memory. The kick of it is HP's Mini can come configred with 2gb and is only a few dollars more.

I can wait, but not for long. I rely on being portable, but not enough to lug around a full sized laptop.

• I will be extremely happy when decent support for poulsbo comes to the 1010, so that we are not stuck with Ubuntu 8 only.

• So here's my sad mini story. =(

I ordered my mini 10 over the phone July 16 and was told that it would come with 1GB of RAM but that when I received my mini I could upgrade it myself to 2GB of RAM. I asked him if he was 100% sure and suggested that maybe he was talking about the mini 10v. He said no and that he was totally sure that the mini 10 could be upgraded to 2GB of RAM. With his guarantee I ordered my mini.

Later on when I received it .. bravo to the faster-that-estimated shipping, btw :) .. I called tech support to ask what type of RAM I need in order to upgrade. I was told that I could NOT upgrade the RAM. They then later forwarded me to the Spare Parts Department where I spoke with someone who said they would "write a letter to manufacturing [to see when the] 2GB will be back in stock". She promised to call me back. She provided me with no case number (even after I asked) and continued to recommend a printer.

After one full week of waiting, I found out about this promotion ("2GB RAM Option for Mini 10 is Finally Here"). I called tech support again (and even emailed them the link to the customization of the 2GB mini 10) and they told me it was a TYPO and that the mini 10 will NEVER come with 2GB of RAM.

So now I'm totally bummed. I've ordered 4 laptops from Dell in the past and now I think this mini might be the last one. It seems I can't trust anyone at Dell when I call.  =(

Bryan

• Bryan: I apologize that the sales folks you spoke to gave you incorrect information. Bottom line, the Mini 10 has always come with fixed RAM. I tried to make that clear in my post about the Mini 10. Right now, that promotional config is the only way for customers to order a Mini 10 with 2GB.

I know it doesn't help in your current situation, but that's why I try to be as accurate as possible with my blog posts about new products. I work to be as timely as possible as well. When mistakes happen, I correct them with strikethroughs as soon as I can. The same holds true for other employees who contribute to our blogs.

Feel free to contact me directly by sending me a private message on the Dell community, e-mail me, or DM @LionelatDell on Twitter.

• Lionel: I realized that I can live without the GPS and TV Tuner options, so I ordered a Mini 10 with 2GB of RAM, a 250GB hard drive, and some of the other options.

Thank you for your informative posts on the 2GB RAM issue.

• It's not your fault Lionel although I do appreciate your empathy. :)

Take care,

Bryan

• Why did they not provide for the broadband cars with the 2gb memory system???? I was ready to order but this option is not available...

• Well I just ordered mine.. They did add the broadband card. I got all the bells and whitles that I could. Larger HD, better screen, broadband, bluetooth, N Wifi card, and the black stickers cover..Can't wait to get it..

Connie

• i know it may be asking alot, but I would like a dell mini 10 with the hd screen, with 2 gb ram, with SSD (not even that big, 32 gb ?) with the GPS and TV Tuner along with bluetooth and the wireless-a/g/n card

wrap all that up with ubuntu ... and i'll be a happy camper.  I'd gladly pay for all those features rolled into one.

the TV tuner wouldn't be that big of a deal to loose because I can always just watch hulu anyways.  but the GPS feature would be very nice to have on a netbook.

• Cant even buy the Mini 10 in the UK any more. Only the low spec Mini 10V. Come on Dell, stop dumping on us here across the water.

• I just ordered my cell mini 10v and the sells rep told me 2gb is not offered to the mini 10v with GPS

• Mini 10 is back in the UK but now we have lost the GPS option. So close, oh so close. If they give me the GPS option back and the 2Gb ram, two will be ordered straight away if not sooner !

• I just bought i mini 10 with vista and 2gb of ram. i also got the hd screen. i can never get the screen to go to max resolution because it starts glitching out and the representatives tell me that i have to send my computer in so they can DOWN-GRADE it to windows xp because they do not have drivers for the hd screen. I dont know about anyone else but i am sure i paid extra because it has 2gb of ram and vista. they said it will take 10-15 buisness days to return it to me. i cannot afford to do this as i use it frequently for school. I would not recommend this for anyone trying to gget the hd screen with this laptop. Why would i pay extra for stuff i cant use?