This year's QuakeCon is being hosted at the beautiful Gaylord Texan in Grapevine, Texas. It was originally supposed to be at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, but was bumped for another convention at the last minute. Though the change caused a bit of confusion for those planning to attend, id Software stepped up to the plate to get the convention rolling, and there have been surprisingly few problems.

The BYOC (bring your own computer) waiting area was probably the most notable hiccup. Folks who were on the waiting list lined up with their systems for admission around 8-10am, and didn’t get processed until after midnight. Those in line found creative ways to amuse themselves. Some played board games, read books, caught up on their beauty sleep, or just hung out and made new friends. Others turned their energy towards stranger pursuits:

Bawls Tower

What do you do with a 9-foot tower of Bawls cans?

Bawls Tower Falleth

The Alienware booth is perfectly situated across from the main stage and is absolutely stacked with computer horsepower. I was able to play a demo of the upcoming Wolfenstein game on an M17x, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Besides the game demos, folks can play in competitions in the booth for prizes, and contests being emceed by professional gaming celebrity Adande “sWooZie” Thorne. A little bird told me they’ll even be giving away some Alienware hardware. If you’re at the convention, be sure to swing by today and check it out!

Yesterday afternoon id Software held their annual press conference with keynote given by John Carmack. At the conference they unveiled the newest trailer for their upcoming magnum opus: Rage. If the game even comes close to living up to what I saw in the trailer, it will undoubtedly be a large landmark on the gaming landscape. When will it be ready? “When it’s ready” is the answer, as always, but with the recent merger of id and Bethesda, Carmack promised that their production cycle would take advantage of their newfound resources. Hopefully this will give us the game sooner rather than later, but not in 2009.

The BYOC is packed with some of the craziest case mods I’ve ever seen. I’ll go through and take some photos today to post, so stay tuned for that, as well as some pictures from the tournament area and Alienware booth.