Dell and the Windows 7 Upgrade Program

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell and the Windows 7 Upgrade Program

For those that have been keeping up with Microsoft's Windows 7 development effort, Brandon over at Microsoft made it official today—the Windows 7 upgrade program will be here tomorrow on June 26. That's when we will begin Dell's Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program in multiple regions.  Our upgrade program includes more than 55 countries and over 20 languages.

Here's what this means:

• Customers purchasing specific Dell consumer and business PCs with qualifying Windows Vista versions (Vista Home Premium, Vista Business and Vista Ultimate) will be able to register to receive a free upgrade kit for Windows 7.
  • This offer applies to customers who purchase their systems either on dell.com or through their favorite retailer or reseller. Shipping and handling fees may apply depending on retailer or reseller. Program terms vary by country.
  • Dell will ship the Windows 7 upgrade kits on or after the official launch of Windows 7 on Oct. 22.
  • Customers can visit www.dell.com/windows7upgrade to check eligibility.Customers will be able to register for their free* Windows 7 upgrade kit through www.dell.com/windows7upgrade when we get closer to the Oct. 22 launch date
  • Microsoft has designed the upgrade program with consumers and small business customers in mind and will not allow more than 25 upgrade kits to be sent to any one address.

Overall we are looking forward to bringing Windows 7 to market on October 22nd. Early feedback from our customers and Dell engineering testing efforts is that Windows 7 on Dell clients is making everyday tasks faster and simpler for our customers.  Key pundits and analyst are also very bullish about the new operating system. Dell's engineering and services partnership with Microsoft will enable customers to deploy on day one when Windows 7 ships.

* Shipping and handling fees may apply

Update from Lionel: Since Daniel published this post about the Windows 7 upgrade program, I've gotten several questions from customers like jrporter40, kdsreferee and hartwilson about eligibility requirements.

The upgrade program is for customers who have ordered an eligible Dell system on or after June 26, 2009. The order date is one of three determining factors. System eligibility and operating system version are the other two. Eligible systems ordered between June 26 and December 31, 2009 qualify for the Windows 7 upgrade. If you qualify, then you need to register for the upgrade at www.dell.com/windows7upgrade.

You'll need to enter your service tag number in the registration process. If you do not yet have a service tag number for an existing order, have further questions about the program or need to discuss your specific situation, please contact Customer Service.

Customers in the United States can call 1-800-624-9897. Customers outside the U.S. can do the following to find the correct phone number to call:

• Go to support.dell.com
  • Choose your country or region from the drop-down list
  • Choose the Contact Us link
  • Choose Technical Support
  • Choose Call Technical Support

For Dell customers who have been running Vista for a while, Ars Technica and other sites have written about an option that's available to you. Microsoft recently rolled out a Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer that allows customers running Vista to purchase retail versions of the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional for a discounted price.  See more details about the dates and countries that can take advantage of the Windows 7 pre-order at the bottom of this post from the Windows Team Blog.  

By the way, according to CNET's Ina Fried, the Windows 7 preorder has proved to be a pretty popular item on Amazon.com.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Thank you for the update.  Any word for those of us that just purchased a Dell Inspiron 537 in the last 10 days?

Kdsreferee

• Thanks for the information - sounds great!

Question: Does this apply to systems purchased from the Outlet?

• So far the policy is simple - you are in only if you purchase on/ after 26 June. That leaves you and me out. :( Dell should include everyone who ordered after 1 June 09.
  • What about people who've purchased but not had their PC shipped by the 26th?

• If Dell does make it for everyone who ordered after June 1st 09 then someone else will say let's make it for after May 1st 09.  Dell is doing a great thing here but it never seems to be enough for people.

• What about those who bought their system on May 31st, May 30th, eth, or even 3 years ago?

It seems Microsoft set the date for June 26th; if you buy your PC on or after that date you're elligable for the free upgrade. Dell, HP and the other major vendors all seem to offer this the day Microsoft allows it.

What I'd like to know is what if you buy your PC at a retail outlet. The ship/order date in Dell's system will pre-date June 26th. Do you have to provide your receipt from the store to prove you purchased it on or after the elligability date or is there a different way that that is determined?

And what about buying at Best Buy? Dell warranty doesn't apply to those systems, but does the free Windows 7 upgrade apply to them?

• Update from Lionel: I updated the middle part of Todd's answer below. Whether you purchase from Dell or Best Buy, all customers need to register through the upgrade site. More details below.

Dev Mgr,

FYI, Dell warranties do apply to systems purchased at Best Buy.  Well, at least Dell systems bought at Best Buy.  :)

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/05/08/best-buy-customers-now-have-a-choice.aspx

Retail customers will use the upgrade website just like the direct customers.  Once a customer purchases their system in retail, they will need to register their service tag at www.dell.com/windows7upgrade

Todd

• I ordered my laptop aware of the possibility of missing the free update program. but the cpu shipping date has been delayed.  Silly me, I even thought Dell was delaying the shipping date to ensure my system qualified under the Microsoft rules.  So I still wonder 1. how much longer will the delay last (6/22 delayed until to 7/6, so far )?  2, what constitutes a purchase - request/production/shipping/delievery/credit card debit??? 

• I'm in the same boat; my order was placed on June 22 but my system is currently not scheduled to ship until July 23. 

I was just on the phone to customer support and they confirmed that I will NOT qualify for a free upgrade.

Unfortunately, since my order status is "in production", I cannot simply cancel my order and rebook it. It appears my only option would be to return my system when I receive it (a month or so from now!), pay return shipping and (possibly) restocking fees, and place a new order. Needless to say, this would probably cost more than paying the retail price of a Windows 7 upgrade package. :-(

As a long-time (and, up to now, satisfied) Dell customer, I'm very disappointed in how Dell is handling this.

• It seems that a lot of us are in the same boat. 

If we would have waited and purched thru a third party like Best Buy or Staples on the 26th which would mean purchasing a sytem that has been made much earlier so it is in the big box store we would be elgible for the upgrade.

By buying direct online we did get the advantage of getting the features we wanted but lost out on neat upgrade to Window 7.  Keeping my fingers crossed that Dell will look after us repeat customers.

kdsreferee

• Comme on Dell be fair!

1 I bought a Studio 17 (Deliverered 6/18), and it's not on the upgrade list? CAn't even ourder a new one with the upgrade!

2. The list of "upgradeable machines is VERY limited.

3. Extend the date back before 6/26, say June 1. Cover All machines sold since. Should be FREE, but a small charge is better than full price.

• Just my luck! Ordered on 6/25! System "in-Production" on 6/26!

I tried my new Service Tag# in the Win 7 screen- not eligible.

Dell should show some flexibility for a Studio XPS 435T ($$) IMHO.

• I tried the eligiblity list, but since I have not received a machine, I have no service tag to enter.  I would like to see a statement from Dell addressing their definition of purchase date.  It seems that until the product has been released (shipped) by the seller and payment buy the buyer, no actual purchase/sale is consumated. 

Thanks

• Daniel, With all due respect Dell was forced to embraced Vista when I purchased my original XPS in February 2009 ( I am on my 3rd one) At this point I am disgusted with Dell's policy toward Windows 7 (BUT I have great things to say about their technical support) Dell had NO hesitation to take my $3000. when I purchased my PC but if I don't buy the full version of Windows 7 from Dell the extra money I spent for technical support for 4 years will not include software support. If I am correct Microsoft will only support the OS for 90 days.    I do not believe in upgrading the OS, Vista is bad enough why would I want it to be the "foundation" for Windows 7? So I will be forced to buy the Windows 7 from Dell. It is ashame I think Dell has very good tech support I feel that the techs from Manila and the Philippines are very good. However, after having my personal XPS replaced 3 times I am tired of dealing with the delays (it took me over 6 weeks to get my last XPS), fighting over warranties and now being forced to buy the Windows 7 from Dell otherwise they won't support the OS. It used to be that Dell had a great product and they were willing to work with you now they are a sorry shell of a once great company. I am in the IT field and next time my company votes on who will be the supplier I will vote that we no longer buy from Dell. Thats pretty bad when you realize that HP is the biggest competitor which has less than a sterling reputation.

Just wanted to add my two cents. For all you that have their orders in a pending status I would check the price if it is lower and it probably is cancel your orders and reorder. In this economic times companies should be helping the consumer. Dell certainly not keeping its jobs in the US. If the cost is higher keep on asking for a supervisor DO NOT be disrepectful to any person on the phones they have a difficult job just say you want a supervisor and keep on saying it to you get someone who will listen

• The first system I bought from Dell (in 1998) was a factory-refurb, with Windows 95 installed. Some weeks later, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a Windows 98 upgrade disc in the mail. This had been sent without me having requested it and completely without charge. I was impressed by a company that would do such a thing; I had purchased my PC knowing full well that it was refurbished and had planned to eventually buy my own copy of Windows 98.

Skip forward eleven years and I'm now in a situation where if I want to upgrade to Windows 7 on a brand-new laptop (ordered June 22 but not shipping until July 23), I will either need to pay for the upgrade myself or return the system (eating the shipping and restocking fees) and order a new one. Times have definitely changed!

As other posters have mentioned, I'm curious about the exact meaning of "purchase date". As of today, I have neither paid money to Dell nor received anything from them; does that constitute a purchase?

I'm afraid this whole situation has left me with a vague feeling of unease; as a long-time satisfied customer, I had always (perhaps unrealistically) expected Dell to "do the right thing". This latest purchase was to be my fifth Dell system; it may well be the last one I buy from this company.

Too bad.