@DellOutlet Surpasses $2 Million on Twitter

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

@DellOutlet Surpasses $2 Million on Twitter

There was some buzz back in December around Dell generating over $1 million in revenue by posting offers and responding to questions on Twitter.com/DellOutlet—there’s still mention of it on Twitter even today.  Since we started back in 2007, we’ve earned more than $2 million in revenue at @DellOutlet, attributed directly to our Twitter activity.

We’ve surpassed $2 million in revenue in terms of Dell Outlet sales, but we’re also seeing that it’s driving interest in new product as well. We’re seeing people come from @DellOutlet on Twitter into the Dell.com/outlet site, and then ultimately decide to purchase a new system from elsewhere on Dell.com. If we factor those new system purchases that come from @DellOutlet, we’re actually eclipsed $3 million in overall sales.

I started tweeting for the U.S. Dell Outlet in June of 2007 based on a suggestion from a colleague who learned about Twitter at the SXSW Interactive conference, and the response had been very positive.  But I knew we could do more.  So I started tweeting more regularly and doing more Twitter-exclusive offers, which created more buzz and helped us to grow our follower base (we’re now over 600,000). Our followers responded by re-tweeting @DellOutlet messages to their followers, and our numbers rose even more. The chart below (click on it to see more options) shows our growth over the last 3 months—right around the time we began introducing more exclusive offers, when we were at about 11,000 followers.

@DellOutlet followers

@DellOutlet followers. Source: TwitterCounter.com

@DellOutlet is getting close to the top 50 most followed Twitter users according to TwitterCounter, sharing the stage with brands like @Zappos (Lionel asked me to mention that Tony rocks), @Woot, @JetBlue and @WholeFoods.

Deal-hunters are especially attracted to Dell’s Twitter presence. Dell Outlet sells refurbished Dell products at great prices, but inventories fluctuate, making it difficult to know when products are available or on sale. Dell Outlet uses Twitter as a way to message out coupons, clearance events and new arrival information to those looking for Dell technology at a discounted price. 

There are also deals to be found via other Dell Twitter properties like @DellHomeOffers and @DellSmBizOffers, but Dell doesn’t limit its Twitter presence to the United States. Shoppers in the UK and Ireland can find deals by following @DellOutletUK and @DellOutletIE, and bargain hunters in Australia and Mexico and check out @DellHomeSalesAU and @Ofertas_Dell_MX , to name a few.  To help customers find the Twitter account most relevant to them, Dell created Dell.com/Twitter to show a list of properties complete with descriptions and links. We’re in the midst of re-vamping that page to make things a bit more clear. Stay tuned on that front.

But @DellOutlet continues to be the most popular Dell Twitter property.  We’ll try to keep it that way by offering a mix of Twitter-exclusive offers, Dell Outlet deals and Outlet-specific updates and information.

Without question though, it’s our customers who make it successful. For that, I’d like to extend a huge thank you to our followers who have offered tremendous support, encouragement and valuable feedback in addition to all the purchases you make through @DellOutlet.

Please don’t hesitate to send a note to @StefanieAtDell on how we can make @DellOutlet more useful to you and thanks again to all of you.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Very nice use of Social Media for a real-time marketing need. Very impressive.