The Alienware M17x Laptop Gaming Rig Has Landed

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

The Alienware M17x Laptop Gaming Rig Has Landed

If you’re interested in gaming, then you’ve probably seen some of the buzz last week on sites like PC World, Engadget or Gizmodo. That buzz has carried over into this week as well. Today, I’m happy to be part of the unveiling of the most powerful laptop in the universe, the Alienware M17x.

With the M17x’s release comes the next chapter in the Alienware story. Alienware now represents the premium performance space in Dell’s consumer family of products. This launch also expands Alienware’s global reach from six to 35 countries.

Alienware M17x - Space Black (front, open)

Note: Click on either of these images to see larger versions of them. To see more images take a look at this set from Dell’s Flickr page.

I've had my hands on a pre-production model for a few months now, and I must say it's been difficult keeping this machine away from the prying eyes of family and friends.With things like the smooth anodized aluminum case to a personalized laser-engraved metal nameplate, it’s undoubtedly one of the sexiest gaming laptops I've ever seen, and that's even before taking a look under the hood. This is a laptop definitely built to satisfy the monstrous demands of the gamer on the go.

The centerpiece of the M17x, and the feature most likely to wow gamers like myself, is the option of configuring this gaming monster with dual 1GB GTX280M's. That's right. DUAL GTX280M's.

If you check out notebookcheck.com's review of the single GTX280M, you'll understand why I had to say that twice. The M17X puts two of these amazing cards to work, giving you the possibility of destroying the benchmarks of a single GTX280M alone. While I don't have benchmarks for the dual graphics solution, the single GTX280M was scoring a very impressive 11,676 in 3dMark 06 in their review and was able to crank the very demanding game Crysis Warhead at a respectable 20fps, running at XGA resolution and very high detail. The dual graphics solution should give even better numbers than these by a fairly significant margin.

Alienware M17x - Lunar Silver (bottom shot)

This is truly a laptop built by gamers for gamers.

Here's a quick rundown of the specs of a fully pimped out M17X:

• Dual 1GB nVidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
  • An Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core CPU
  • 8GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM
  • A 1TB 7200-rpm (Raid 1 or Raid 0) or a 512MB of solid-state storage capacity
  • A slot-loading dual-layer Blu-ray Disc Drive
  • A nine-cell battery
  • An nVidia GeForce 9400M G GPU with HybridPower technology (this will kick in when the system is on battery to conserve power)
  • 802.11n (2x2)  Wi-Fi
  • A 1920-by-1200-resolution edge-to-edge LCD Display

This machine is absolutely stacked. The gamer in me swooned the moment I laid eyes on it. I'm guessing the gamer in you can relate.

For a quick behind the scenes look at the making of the M17x, take a look at this video:

We’ll have an official unveiling event here at E3 later on today, and I'm here to cover it. I’ll update this post with more details in a bit.

Update: Here is a video that shows some of Alienware's operatives at E3 along with Bryan DeZayas showing it off to the audience at the Alienware booth.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Hopefully this is better than the six month old junk M17 I have now. Maybe once it gets back from being repaired again if it is still not working like the last time they will agree to replace it with this one.