Bidding Adieu to the Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Bidding Adieu to the Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Black Mini 9 Open Front View

As some of you with sharp eyes noted over the weekend, today marks the official retirement of the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, our first entry into the netbook market. It was a successful product by any number of measures, including the unofficial "modders dream" device with owners adding GPS modules, installing different OS, upgrading memory, etc. 

As you may recall, the Gizmodo team ran into Michael at last year's All Things Digital and he shared a prototype Mini he was carrying at the time. We officially launched the Inspiron Mini 9 Sept. 4, 2008 for $349 and it became the first netbook product with built in Mobile Broadband support offered by a major wireless carrier, Vodafone, in EMEA. Since the launch of the Mini 9, Dell has extended its Mini family with several new products, incorporating industry-led enhancements and customer feedback inspired improvements, and we expanded the palette for personalization options, with more colors and original artwork by Tristan Eaton. For customers who were looking for the Mini 9, we suggest they consider a Dell Mini 10v, with a starting price of $299.

The Mini 10v features the same processor: Intel Atom N270 at 1.6GHz, the same OS choices: Windows XP and a Dell customized version of Ubuntu,  and 1GB of memory. The Mini 10v also improves upon overall ergonomics with a 10-inch display and a bigger, better keyboard (92% of standard), as well as more storage space and options: choice of SSD (16GB) or traditional hard drives (up to 160GB). It appears up to the task of filling the Mini 9 shoes on the "modding" front as well. For those of you who purchased a Dell Mini 9 during the last nine months, thank you. We appreciate your business, and hope the Dell Mini 9 continues to deliver a great mobile experience.

For those of you in the market for a solid companion device for on the go computing and connectivity, I recommend you check out the Mini 10v.  

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Farewell, Mini 9. You will be missed.

But I think this is a good decision. A 9in device is not really as pratical as 10in, and when the price difference is that small, I think the additional model just confuses consumers. I can't imagine that the extra size of the Mini 10/10v is going to be a deal breaker;

But what's with the "v" in 10v? And is the 10 going to be pushed out, as well? I hope not, as the extra screen res. option on the "original" 10 is my favorite feature!

• As of today, The Vostro A90 is still avail for order at Dell's US site.

The A90 is the exact same hardware as the now-obsolete Mini9!Big Smile

• The "v" in the 10v is stands for value. The Mini 10 and the 10v will continue to coexist.

• Luckily I ordered a Mini 9 last week to replace my eeepc.

I am saddened that Dell is following Asus in dropping the 9" factor and bloating the netbook into 10/12" variants. Yes, a 9" system will have a compromised keyboard but many of us have larger laptops for serious work (or could add an external keyboard) but it provided the minimum screen real estate for applications beyond a smartphone. It is taken where no other laptop can be taken. Like my coat pocket (10" is too big) and allows me to pack an extra pair of pants & socks when I'm flying Ryanair.

I have no problem with other people wanting a bigger netbook but it is sad that the size `as well as the cost of computing has grown for those that just don't want it. The early success of the eeepc & Mini 9 showed there should be enough of us. Sad.

• is it still possible to order a mini 9 via telephone in germany? i was VERY interested in that product and just decided to buy when i found out that it had disappeared from the online shop...

thanks for any helpful comments.

verena

• I noticed that Anne was very careful not to mention the screen resolution of the Mini 10v and I was very surprised to learn that - with a screen more than 1" larger diagonally than the Mini 9 - the resolution of the 10v is *worse* than the 9! It's 1024x576 versus the Mini 9's 1024x600. Is there any official line as to why the vertical resolution has been reduced with the 10v? I'd have thought the 10v's poor resolution compared to both Dell and other OEM netbooks would be a tick in the "Con" column if you ask me.

• Possibly because 1024x576 is a perfect 16:9 resolution and offers full widescreen viewing of multimedia video which is one of the main selling points of the Mini 10???  You can watch video clips on the Mini 9 but there are the dreaded black bars!

• I love the Dell Mini 9 although I haven't bought one since it seems small compared to my two hands. But still, I bid farewell to the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, hey it would never be forgotten since it is like the flagship of the Inspiron Mini line-up.

• Well, it is designed for business and if you want a 8.9-inch Netbook. That is the best way to go, ;)!

Although the Mini 9 is out I believe that the 8.9 inch is better for business people more since it is small, light-weight and ideal for frequent travelers who just task using Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint as well as Interent and E-mail. So, it is on-the-go Netbook. While the bigger the screen, the more power a person need.

• oh noooooo, the black bars!

give me a break.   the only reason DELL is putting the 16:9 screen in is because it's cheaper to manufacture.  16:10 is superior in ALL aspects other than movie watching.

1024x576 is unacceptable for browsing the web.  why can't the 10v have the 1366x768 option that the regular mini 10 has?

I just don't understand why DELL is replacing the Mini 9 with an interior product like the MIni 10(v).  The only thing you're gaining is a better keyboard with the 10 ... the price is higher and the screen resolution is terrible.

• uh, the mini9 owns the mini10

i think the mini9 may have been a loss leader maybe?

• Yeah, I'm not quite buying the Dell marketing either. 

Who designed the theory that laptops need to keep getting larger phyisically?

Are we expected to have a 46" laptop one day?

The mini 9 is very portable and the major 'hack' wasn't in changing the OS it was in adding memory (which is why Dell made the 10 with sims soldiered down).

Want a great next-gen netbook?   ... kepp em' small, fast, lean & mean.

- W

(Only flaw in the mini 9 was the key layout).

• I am looking on the UK site for dell for the current 10inch mini offerings.

What Dell have done is take a product for which you were free to choose Ubuntu with several configuation options and marginalise

it. There is some speculation that Asus was recently offered significant incentives to drop Linux entirely from its product line (allegedly). http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=eee+pc+linux+%22microsoft+pressure%22

Dell are not the only company to be pressured into "Recommends Windows Blah" all over every page of their site - its part of the 'promotional contract' which dominant companies insist you sign so as to get their OS product at discounted rates.

Dell and Ubuntu - it served a purpose.

Now it is just a marginalised 10inch that allows Dell to say 'mini from £199'

Should you wish to upgrade the processor or add bluetooth then you must accept another operating system - how poor.

It is no accident that there is now 10v and 10 - It would not have been possible to marginalise the product so much if they were under a unified product name as was the case with the mini9.

Go on Dell prove me wrong and combine the 10 and 10v into a single configuration screen with a free choice of operating system.

• Dell Inspiron Mini iM1012-687OBK is powered by Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz processor which has data bus speed of 667 MHz, it has L2 cache of 512 KB, installed memory is 1 GB DDR2SDRAM which can be upgraded to 2 GB. For storing data, there is a 160 GB hard drive at 5400 rpm. The three in one card reader supports the following cards – SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick.

www.onlinenotebook.com/dell-inspiron-mini-im1012-687obk.html

• Farewell, Mini 9. You will be missed.

But I think this is a good decision. A 9in device is not really as pratical as 10in, and when the price difference is that small, I think the additional model just confuses consumers. I can't imagine that the extra size of the Mini 10/10v is going to be a deal breaker;

But what's with the "v" in 10v? And is the 10 going to be pushed out, as well? I hope not, as the extra screen res. option on the "original" 10 is my favorite feature!

• As of today, The Vostro A90 is still avail for order at Dell's US site.

The A90 is the exact same hardware as the now-obsolete Mini9!Big Smile

• The "v" in the 10v is stands for value. The Mini 10 and the 10v will continue to coexist.

• Luckily I ordered a Mini 9 last week to replace my eeepc.

I am saddened that Dell is following Asus in dropping the 9" factor and bloating the netbook into 10/12" variants. Yes, a 9" system will have a compromised keyboard but many of us have larger laptops for serious work (or could add an external keyboard) but it provided the minimum screen real estate for applications beyond a smartphone. It is taken where no other laptop can be taken. Like my coat pocket (10" is too big) and allows me to pack an extra pair of pants & socks when I'm flying Ryanair.

I have no problem with other people wanting a bigger netbook but it is sad that the size `as well as the cost of computing has grown for those that just don't want it. The early success of the eeepc & Mini 9 showed there should be enough of us. Sad.

• is it still possible to order a mini 9 via telephone in germany? i was VERY interested in that product and just decided to buy when i found out that it had disappeared from the online shop...

thanks for any helpful comments.

verena

• I noticed that Anne was very careful not to mention the screen resolution of the Mini 10v and I was very surprised to learn that - with a screen more than 1" larger diagonally than the Mini 9 - the resolution of the 10v is *worse* than the 9! It's 1024x576 versus the Mini 9's 1024x600. Is there any official line as to why the vertical resolution has been reduced with the 10v? I'd have thought the 10v's poor resolution compared to both Dell and other OEM netbooks would be a tick in the "Con" column if you ask me.

• Possibly because 1024x576 is a perfect 16:9 resolution and offers full widescreen viewing of multimedia video which is one of the main selling points of the Mini 10???  You can watch video clips on the Mini 9 but there are the dreaded black bars!

• I love the Dell Mini 9 although I haven't bought one since it seems small compared to my two hands. But still, I bid farewell to the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, hey it would never be forgotten since it is like the flagship of the Inspiron Mini line-up.

• Well, it is designed for business and if you want a 8.9-inch Netbook. That is the best way to go, ;)!

Although the Mini 9 is out I believe that the 8.9 inch is better for business people more since it is small, light-weight and ideal for frequent travelers who just task using Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint as well as Interent and E-mail. So, it is on-the-go Netbook. While the bigger the screen, the more power a person need.

• oh noooooo, the black bars!

give me a break.   the only reason DELL is putting the 16:9 screen in is because it's cheaper to manufacture.  16:10 is superior in ALL aspects other than movie watching.

1024x576 is unacceptable for browsing the web.  why can't the 10v have the 1366x768 option that the regular mini 10 has?

I just don't understand why DELL is replacing the Mini 9 with an interior product like the MIni 10(v).  The only thing you're gaining is a better keyboard with the 10 ... the price is higher and the screen resolution is terrible.

• uh, the mini9 owns the mini10

i think the mini9 may have been a loss leader maybe?

• Yeah, I'm not quite buying the Dell marketing either. 

Who designed the theory that laptops need to keep getting larger phyisically?

Are we expected to have a 46" laptop one day?

The mini 9 is very portable and the major 'hack' wasn't in changing the OS it was in adding memory (which is why Dell made the 10 with sims soldiered down).

Want a great next-gen netbook?   ... kepp em' small, fast, lean & mean.

- W

(Only flaw in the mini 9 was the key layout).

• I am looking on the UK site for dell for the current 10inch mini offerings.

What Dell have done is take a product for which you were free to choose Ubuntu with several configuation options and marginalise

it. There is some speculation that Asus was recently offered significant incentives to drop Linux entirely from its product line (allegedly). http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=eee+pc+linux+%22microsoft+pressure%22

Dell are not the only company to be pressured into "Recommends Windows Blah" all over every page of their site - its part of the 'promotional contract' which dominant companies insist you sign so as to get their OS product at discounted rates.

Dell and Ubuntu - it served a purpose.

Now it is just a marginalised 10inch that allows Dell to say 'mini from £199'

Should you wish to upgrade the processor or add bluetooth then you must accept another operating system - how poor.

It is no accident that there is now 10v and 10 - It would not have been possible to marginalise the product so much if they were under a unified product name as was the case with the mini9.

Go on Dell prove me wrong and combine the 10 and 10v into a single configuration screen with a free choice of operating system.

• Dell Inspiron Mini iM1012-687OBK is powered by Intel Atom N450 / 1.66 GHz processor which has data bus speed of 667 MHz, it has L2 cache of 512 KB, installed memory is 1 GB DDR2SDRAM which can be upgraded to 2 GB. For storing data, there is a 160 GB hard drive at 5400 rpm. The three in one card reader supports the following cards – SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick.

www.onlinenotebook.com/dell-inspiron-mini-im1012-687obk.html