Windows 7 Beta Experience

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Windows 7 Beta Experience

• Comments 28
There have been millions of downloads of the Windows 7 beta since Microsoft made it official back in January this year. Since then, it's been good to see positive reactions to it in the blogosphere. As we all wait for the release of Windows 7 Release Candidate, I thought you might be interested in hearing about our experiences with the Beta Code.

Over the last month we have been testing hundreds of Dell systems and the results are promising.  

Here’s a peek into what we are seeing when testing:

• On many systems we are seeing noticeable improvements in boot to desktop times (versus Vista)
  • Almost all existing Vista drivers are working – great sign in terms of compatibility
  • Vista Application compatibility is promising as well (including the IE 8 compatibility mode)
  • Transcoding (ripping) media files is faster than Vista

More to come as we test on later builds of Windows 7.

We would love to hear more about your experiences with Windows 7 on your Dell PC.  What did you like?  What may not be as useful?  Send us your thoughts.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• All is well and good when comparing Windows 7 to Vista but how does it compare to XP?  Many people have skipped Vista do to problems transitioning from XP in relation to drivers and program compatibility.  Of course there will be no problems for those transitioning from Vista to W7 since it is still basically the same software that has been tweaked while Vista was a huge change from XP.  Vista lost Microsoft some customers (myself included after trying W7) due to problems I didn't see corrected in W7 at the time of the beta release.  Unless they have made huge changes since then, the exodus will continue.

• I'm on Windows 7 (Build 7000) on the Dell XPS 720 and it works great.  My boot time was reduced from 30 seconds in Vista to 25 Seconds in Windows 7.  So far I have had zero problems with drivers or anything of the kind.

• Running Windows 7 x64 here as well on an Inspiron E1505. The only problem I have so far is the screen not turning off when closed. I'm hoping Dell releases some drivers for the old ATI x1400 cards, but somehow I doubt it Sad

• Dell XPS M1210 Owner here and I've running Windows since the first M3 build leaked(6801). Been my main OS since Build 6956 and now currently using Build 7068. (All x86 so far, will test x64 when I bump up my RAM)

Everything works out the 'box' perfectly driver wise although I find myself using Dell's OEM nVidia drivers over the pre-release ones WinUpdate serves because it causes an intermittent flicker. Btw Dell, be nice if you guys upgrade your forceware.

I'm thoroughly impressed and can't wait till Dell starts actively supporting Windows 7. Keep your  junk off it or at least give us an option for a clean install when purchasing.

On a sidenote, my XPS has died 3 times due to a GPU heat issue so please do extensive testing on thermal footprints of your newer models. XPS m13/15/17x all reported the same issues. I won't even consider the Studio XPS because even though I love the idea of leather I can't imagine how hot they'll run. 

• It smokes XP in my experience. Boot Time/Stability/Gaming and especially networking(file transfers). 

Btw, the 'Exodus" you speak off meant about 2 or 3 points of marketshare back in the credit bubble days. Right now Apple is hemmoraghing share so I don't  know what you mean by it 'continuing'. Either way  you got it off your chest of how awesome and unique you are for owning a MBP. Good job. Now lets get back to the topic of Windows 7 on Dell laptops if you don't mind.

• To Jervis

you can not customize a dell and get it in a week because you can customize so many more things and have more options with each customization when you get a dell vs a mac. W/ macs you can upgrade the hard drive, ram and and possible the processor. Becuase less things can change they ahve prebuilt laptops sitting around that the send out. Dell actually custom builds yous

• I'm running Windows 7 build 7000 on my Latitude D630. Everything's ok and I've updated all drivers.

It's much faster then Vista SP1.

• I am using Windows 7 build 7068 x64 on my Dell Vostro 1500. Unfortunately Dell was too stupid to provide 64 bit driver but that was not an issue since I had upgrade my computer to Windows Vista x64 earlier and already located x64 drivers. All the drivers from Windows Vista work in Windows 7. With Windows 7 install, my computer seem to come out of Windows Vista sluggishness. Let's face it, if it wasn't for all the criticisms, Windows 7 would be call Windows Vista R2, but Windows 7 is Windows Vista done right.

• Geez guys calm down.

Weedmunk - Windows has lost 3 % market share in the last 11 months, Apple has gained less than 2 of that, with the rest going to other operating systems like Linux.  Yes Apple went down .3 % in February but gained more than half of than back since.  Exodus means departure and fits my comments perfectly, no reason to get upset about it.  If I had said mass exodus it would be a different story.  As for improvements in W7:  my network speeds slowed considerably under Vista on my Dell system, boot time seemed slightly  better but not earth shattering and I had driver issues.  Your experience may have been better but that doesn't make mine less valid.  Yes I switched to a Mac but I didn't talk go on and on about Mac vs PC did I?  I only mentioned than I switched, big deal.  I wasn't bragging about how awesome I am as you claim so back off on the accusations.  As for talking about Windows 7 on Dell systems:  that's what I was doing.

Laxboy10 -  I did not comment on Dell's customization in this thread only in my signature.  Since you want to talk about it, every Dell I have purchased was customized and delivered in about 1 week.  If you go to the forums here and elsewhere you can find many people complaining about new systems taking months to deliver.  Dell gives estimated delivery dates and then doesn't meet them.  I can see a couple of days here and there but many people are saying they end up waiting months.  Perhaps I should change my signature wording to "Why can't Dell do that anymore" to clarify for you.

• I've put 7 on my Inspiron E1505, and so far I've had no issues. Start up is a bit faster, but overall performance is on par with Vista which was already fast.

• I have a Dell XPS m1330.

1. The Fingerprint reader driver can't be downloaded through Windows Update.
    2. The Bluetooth drivers can't be downloaded through Windows Update.
    3. There is no native support for the media buttons. Though the functionality is available, they aren't indicated visually. I have to download Dell QuickSet which isn't really well integrated into the Windows interface and doesn't work as smooth as the same functionality on Mac OS X.
    4. Windows Update installs the Webcam drivers, but doesn't install the software, namely the Webcam Center.
    5. There is no native support for the scroll functionality of the touchpad. Again I have to install a not well integrated piece of software.
    6. I can't use the Dell MediaDirect shortcut button to launch the Windows 7 media center.
    7. In general it would be nice if I could download all the necessary drivers and software for my dell through Windows Update. I don't want to visit the Dell driver website and do it all manually.
    8. Windows 7 isn't an option on the dell driver website.
    9. In general: Better integrate your Dell Software into the whole Windows experience.

• I've currently got Windows 7 installed on my M1530, while it is a much improved version of Vista, i am having two problem which are quite irritating:

1. Sleep doesn't properly work - on wake, wireless connections cease to function at all.

2. My ethernet network driver doesn't work properly and causes windows to freeze if i use it,

(I'm using a Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller, so if you are using the same and have no problems then please link me to your driver :)

Other than that, it is fantastic!

• The only issue I have been experiencing is that the dell touchpad is very slow to respond after bringing the computer out of sleep. It takes about 10-20 seconds before I can move the mouse again. Minor issue but quite annoying none the less :).

• I have an XPS M1530 with Windows 7 Build 7068 64Bit and it has been nothing but a dream to run. Much more responsive, it found everything except for the correct BioMetric drivers. I have plugged my overseas HTC Touch HD T8285 into the system as well and after three updates it was able to sync with Windows Mobile Center without a hitch. The overall system response is much improved over Vista and even XP(yes I put XP on it). XP was obviously very responsive with updated graphics drivers but it still lacked what I was wanting from Vista in regards to features. Windows 7 was my next step and I have been through 4 upgrades taking down each build as they come along on two different partitions. I kept Vista around for compatibility with some work software I was running as well as LogMeIn. Windows build 7057 allowed for the LogMeIn to function correctly and now build 7068 is even better. My next upgrade to a new build will be waiting for RC since 7068 is stable. I get no delays in wake up, touch pad responses, sleep or resume. In the previous builds I did get some of the delays that were shared on this forum.  I cannot wait for Windows 7 RC and obviously RTM/Final.

Microsoft has hit a home run with this OS and if they continue to listen to the community that supports them they will see an incredible buy in to Windows 7.

• Window 7 Experience Index does not work on my Dell i7 435MT with 9 GB of memory.

It works with the original 4GB of Elpida memory.

I have a 435MT running Windows 7(beta, Build 7000). Windows 7 reports 9 GB (correct, the OCZ triple channel 3x2GB is installed in the first bank, the orginal Dell Memory, Elpida 3x 1GB memory is in the second bank). HOWEVER, when I run the Windows Experience Index, the program fails, it fails at the Memory Assessment. Its says, Cannot complete assement. The assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component.

So, is it:

• A BIOS problem with the mixed memory? (maybe)
    • A Window 7 Beta problem with running the "Windows Experience Index" with mixed memory or 9 GB of memory? (maybe)
    • A problem with the OCZ memory being faulty?  (NO - I think the memory is fine)

Remember:

• The Window 7 Window Experience index runs fine with the orginal 4 GB of Elpida memory
    • Do I have any other issues with the 9 GB of memory? (NO - everything seems to run, except the Window 7 Experience Index)

I also need to run MemTest 86+, that OCZ has available.