Dell Recycling Makes the “G.R.A.D.E.”

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell Recycling Makes the “G.R.A.D.E.”

We were honored to be recognized today by IDC as one of the first companies to receive their Green Recycling and Asset Disposal for the Enterprise, or G.R.A.D.E. certifications.  IDC’s new report, the 2008 Assessment of U.S. IT Asset Disposal Service Providers, Doc #213383 was released today and you can read the Dell news release here.

IDC developed this new certification in response to demand from its end-user customers about responsible ways to retire PCs and other IT hardware. The G.R.A.D.E. certification process is based on 34 IT Asset Disposal (ITAD)-related functions and tasks and uses a multi-dimensional weighting system that incorporates the broad offerings of remote applications, onsite services, logistics, in-plant processing, and post treatment. The certification is currently focused on the U.S. market. 

Dell’s asset recovery services are helping our enterprise customers responsibly retire used IT equipment and simplify the management of their enterprise by protecting against data and environmental liability and minimizing the cost of disposal.  Services we offer include value recovery, robust reporting, reverse logistics and responsible recycling.

Our continued commitment to making recycling convenient, easy and responsible for customers is not only evident through this certification, but also through our assistance to small businesses for their product recovery needs,  free and convenient product recycling for consumers and setting responsible recycling standards.

Dell’s product recycling efforts are a cornerstone of efforts to be the greenest technology company on the planet.  For more information, visit www.dell.com/earth. To join with the company and thousands of others in lending a voice and saving the planet, visit www.regeneration.org.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Please don't sprain your arm patting yourself on your back just yet. Dell Canada is part of the EPSC, and has been instramental in setting up FLAWED recycling programs across Canada, as well as denying FAIR competition to existing recycling companies.

How much of the SWEEP funds raised by tacking on an Environmental Handling Fee to purchases of computers has been used to seperate REUSE equipment out of piles of computers collected? NONE!

How much money has been spent on REUSE programs in BC? None to Very Little. How much will be spent to promote reuse in the Maritimes and Ontario? I predict NONE!

Until you allow all recyclers to fully and equally participate in ewaste recycling programs across Canada, and you can prove to me that a direct to destruction recycling program is more efficient than a tradional 3R program, I'll be watching your 'green progress' with a VERY skeptical eye.

Darcy Moen

www.notreadyforthescrapheap.com

• Darcy -thanks for your comments, you raise some good points.  I work on recycling issues with Joe at Dell and wanted to clarify a few things.

First, the recycling programs for consumers and businesses we discuss are available across Canada, and we work with Canadian recyclers to process equipment recovered.

We do recognize reuse as a critical part of the product lifecycle and our environmental commitments.  Our recycling partners consider material recovered for re-use at the system level, then at the part level, then at the commodity level for all equipment recovered.

Dell has recognized producer responsiblity, we offer free recycling programs to consumers worldwide for the products we make, and believe others in our industry should do the same.  As part of our commitment to producer responsiblity we have engaged with elected officials in a number of jurisdictions as they have tackled the drafting of e-cycling legislation. 

In short, we believe e-cycling legislation should require producers to offer free recylcing to consumers, allow those producers to have flexibility in the way they offer recycling and not create extensive government bureaucracy or cost for governement.  We don't believe that some of the provincial laws passed are as effective as they could be.

While it is true Dell is a member of EPSC, and we can't disclose the specifics of membership meetings, our membership does not necessarily indicate alignment with all EPSC positions.  Such is the nature of any industry coalition.

I hope this helps clarify some of Dell's positions and commitments to free, convenient and responsible computer recycling.

• Bryant, let me counter a couple of your points. The department of environment did not go out seeking an ewaste program, this was entirely lead by the brands of the electronic industry. David Betts of the EPSC presented an ewaste plan to the minister of environment, and the minister of environment rubber stamped the ewaste plan. I refer to speeches and links below: http://www.epsc.ca/pdfs/hudon_welcome_speech.pdf Andre Huron states: Andre states: 'We represent over 90 percent of the lap top computer, printer and television market. We represent all desktop manufacturers with significant market share. We see EPS Canada as the industry organization to be called upon to work with the regulating authority for program implementation.' http://www.epsc.ca/pdfs/CCME_Speech.pdf David Betts states:'We have a window of opportunity to influence that legislation'. http://www.epsc.ca/pdfs/betts_orlando_speech.pdf David Betts says:'We believe our approach of seeking the most cost effective and environmentally responsible program through consultation with governments will deliver the best results for our industry.' (Please Note: Not best results for the environment. Not best results for the public's best interest, but the best results for 'Our industry'.) Obviously the EPSC sees itself as in charge of leading or setting environmental policy of compliant governments. Dell is part of the EPSC, EPSC/Product Care directs SWEEP, your hands are dirty as you are part of the flawed system. B ut, if Dell is such a ferverent supporter of reuse, would Dell be interested in formally supporting a second ewaste program that includes a feasable reuse component? I'm formally inviting DELL to put their money where their mouth as we have a plan ready to submit to the Minister. Contact me via our web site if you would like to participate. Bryant says: 'we believe e-cycling legislation should require producers to offer free recylcing to consumers, allow those producers to have flexibility in the way they offer recycling and not create extensive government bureaucracy or cost for governement.' I counter, can you explan why the SWEEP program is THE MOST EXPENSIVE ewaste program in North America? The program is far from free! Check out the per unit costs here: http://www.sweepit.ca/ObligatedFirstSellers.html If you read the annual report of SWEEP (http://www.sweepit.ca/documents/SWEEP_2008_AR.pdf) SWEEP administration cost $541,000 alone! SWEEP built up one year reserves of almost 3.5 million dollars all from the proceeds of ADDING an environmental handling fee ON TOP of the purchase price of electronics! Second Time Office Equipment operates entirely on the proceeds of the sale of scrap and reuse equipment, WITHOUT any draw on the public purse. Hmmmmmmm, even though STEO is a for profit operation, we are a lot closer to providing FREE recycling than your EPSC lead recycling program, aren't we? But still, if Dell is serious abour reuse, again, I'll formally invite Dell to sign onto and support our eWaste program. I anticipate your call and be pleased to discuss our draft ewaste proposal that is more in tune with Dell's stated corporate environmental policy.