Blu-ray Equipped Inspiron 1525 Laptop Now Available for Under $1000

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Blu-ray Equipped Inspiron 1525 Laptop Now Available for Under $1000

• Comments 12
Starting today, we're offering customers in the United States, Canada and Europe the Inspiron 1525 equipped with an optional Blu-ray drive under $1000. In the United States, that starting price is $879—specific pricing may vary in other regions.

The Inspiron 1525 laptop is the one that Laptop Magazine gave their Editors' Choice award to. It features a 15.4-inch 1280 x 800 resolution (or optional 1440 x 900) wide aspect display means it support up to 720p resolution. It also includes an HDMI port so you can connect it to a larger external display or HDTV.

If you're not familiar with Blu-ray, here's a blog post from Brian Zucker about that explains it in more detail. Back in mid-February, the blogosphere reacted to a Reuters story that said Toshiba planned to exit HD-DVD, the competing high-definition disc format. A few days later, they made it official. Since then, many new releases are coming out in the Blu-ray format, and places like Wal-Mart, Amazon, Blockbuster and Netflix are actively promoting Blu-ray titles.

The Blu-ray player disc drive is fully backwards compatible, and will play as well as burn traditional DVDs and CDs. And if you're willing to upgrade to Blu-ray burner drive, Blu-ray discs are good for backing up your personal files since they can store up to 50 GB of data, vs. 8.5 GB available on the typical DVD disc. 

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Are there Blu-ray drives available for existing models such as the D830? 

• I was excited when I saw the title of the post and read the first paragraph.  The second sentence in the second paragraph was a let down.

It features a 15.4-inch 1280 x 800 resolution (or optional 1440 x 900) wide aspect display means it support up to 720p resolution.

Why put Blu-Ray in a laptop if you aren't going to put a video card AND screen/monitor that can take full advantage of its capabilities?  I'm not going to pay extra for a Blu-Ray player in a laptop if I can't watch it at it's max capacity (1080p) or even 1080i.

This product will confuse your non-tech savvy customers when they see Blu-Ray on a 1080p screen and then they see it on their laptop screen.  They won't understand why the laptop doesn't look as clear as the 1080p screen.

-Craig

• Craig - 1080p is pretty much pointless on a 15,4in screen, the eye really can't tell the difference. As for your comment about it 'not even' offering 1080i, 720p is actually superior to 1080i in many ways because it offers a much smoother 60fps progressive frame rate. Interlaced 1080i may have a higher resolution but the two standards are actually almost identical in the number of pixels per second they display.

• I agree that "1080p is pretty much pointless on a 15,4in screen, the eye really can't tell the difference."

As long as i am able to connect my laptop to my TV(i know not the best of solution) and get the benefits of 1080p from the Blue ray player via my laptop i would be a happy man :).

However i think it would confuse the buyers when they see this add and say hey i would rather go for a 1080p blue ray player..rather then this 720p one..even though its really the screen resolution in the laptop that is 720p.

I remember talking to a friend who was in the process of buying a 32inch HDTV couple of months back and was trying to wait for a good deal on a 1080p...i had a hard time convincing him the secrets of screen resolutions.

• Dan -

I realize that you won't notice the difference on the laptop screen but they also say...

"It also includes an HDMI port so you can connect it to a larger external display or HDTV."

That is why I was saying why BluRay?  It would be nice if the graphics card could out put the video in full 1080p.

-Craig

• I ordered Inspiron, my first laptop because it was advertised as  a Linux PC as I will never buy a PC with screwy OS on it. Dell delayed my order 3 times and canceled it altogether without a reasonable explanation.

Dell is of course a disappointment and I'm shopping elsewhere. No recommendations for Dell from me for friends or workplace for years to come.

• Dear Friends,

I have recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop.

I am quite happy wid it.Its specs r Pentium Dual core 1.66 Ghz,1 GB ram, 160Gb Hard Disk wid DVD writer,HDMI connector.

I just want 2 know more info abt its HDMI port.Is it FULL HD 1080i HDMI port on my Inspiron 1525 Laptop.

If  someone knows the answer please tell me.

I would appreciate it!

from,

Naubahaar! 

• There seems to be confusion around the capability of the graphics on this PC. I have one of these PC's and it connects over HDMI to my FULL HD TV at 1920X1080 automatically (LG HD TV). I'm not sure I understand what Craig was complaining about. The graphics is displaying the output in 1080. All of the BluRay DVD's I'm aware of are at 24FPS.

"I realize that you won't notice the difference on the laptop screen but they also say...

"It also includes an HDMI port so you can connect it to a larger external display or HDTV."

That is why I was saying why BluRay?  It would be nice if the graphics card could out put the video in full 1080p."

-allen

• i want to purchase inspiron 1525 so plz send me coutation and detail

immideately

• @chirg jain

Hi,  we can't provide quotes or pricing information via the blogs.  I would recommend that you go to www.Dell.com where you can select the small drop down window on the screen to choose the country you need help in.  Once you do that you can find pricing and contact information for our sales group who will be able to provide you with quotes and help you place your order.

I hope that helps.

• Allen, are you doing anything special to get it to connect to your LCD? How are you doing it, by HDMI?

I've just bought a Sony KDL32V4000 32" LCD which can handle 720p or 1080i and everytime I try adjust the display properties on the laptop (eg dual clone display, or output to LCD only) the Sony LCD switches off. When I switch it on there is nothing on the screen.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

• Hi guys, I just bought the Inspiron 1525 yesterday here in Ireland. Mine is a dual core Celeron running at 1.86 GHz. I assume the graphics cards on the Inspirons 1525 are the same? Mine is a mobile Intel 965 Express with 348 MB of its own memory. The main reason I bought this laptop was to hook it up to my new Sony KDL32V4000 32" LCD via HDMI and watch HD movies. I did this last night and downloaded the new Start Trek Trailer in 1080i from the Apple website. I started playing the trailer in the Inspiron and was very disappointed to see that it was stuttering all the time on my LCD TV :-( It was pretty much unwatchable..... I had Clone Wars in 1080i and played it back using VLC and it was flawless.....any ideas why it was stuttering so bad with the Star Trek trailer from the Apple site? Would it be the .MOV file format? I tried playing the Star Trek trailer using VLC but the same stuttering appeared?? Clone wars is a .MKV file. Cheers, Mark