Dell 22" Crystal Display

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell 22" Crystal Display

• Comments 1
Many of you have probably already seen the coverage in Gizmodo and other places in the blogosphere. I had blogged about Kevin Kettler's demo of a prototype of the display, but now it's official. Today, we introduced the Dell Crystal 22" widescreen display.

It features a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 display, a 2ms response time, and integrated webcam and speakers, in a pretty slick overall design. It's our first monitor to feature a DisplayPort connection. Lots more to talk about in terms of that new technology, so I'll see about getting some Dell folks to blog more about DisplayPort in the future. Besides DisplayPort, The 22" display supports high definiton resolutions through DVI or HDMI as well.

Update February 18:  My apologies to customers for mis-quoting the specs of the 22" Crystal display. It does not support DisplayPort—our 3008WFP widescreen flat panel is the first one to incorporate DisplayPort.

It doesn't come cheap though—the Dell Crystal display is $1,199. See more information at www.dell.com/crystal.

Update: 1/13-I forgot to include the IdeaStorm reference here. My apologies for not doing this several days ago. On IdeaStorm, conversations around improving the look of Dell's widescreen displays have also been popular. Back in May, IdeaStorm member jmxz posted an idea for Dell to "keep making great designs like this" for its monitors.

Not long after, hope_l from Dell's Experience Design display and imaging team joined the conversation and talked about Dell's commitment to creating new designs that blend technologies and reduce wires.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• The following comments were made prior to October 31, 2008:

Av said:
    Does anyone know when this beauty is arriving in the United Kingdom and for how much?
    January 3, 2008 6:21 PM

jervis961 said:
    Nice design but I would need to sell a kidney to buy it. :D
    January 3, 2008 6:57 PM

Michael said:
    What's with adding speakers to a high end display? I would think anyone who purchases a high end display already has a good external set of speakers. Wasted money, and certainly wasted space. I really wish that huge glass border wasn't there. Ditch the tiny speakers Dell !!!
    January 3, 2008 8:10 PM

sugarbear said:
    Very nice looking. Now we need a classy desktop with looks to match.
    January 3, 2008 8:24 PM

Search. Engines WEB said:
    Good news, we got you a Digg homepage a few hours ago. The Diggs and comments are taking off like mad. We put it in the images category because that Monitor was almost seductive in its graceful beauty :-) http://digg.com/design/Dell_s_Crystal_LCD_Monitor_Finally_Debuts_BEAUTIFUL
    January 3, 2008 10:19 PM

Paul Halliday said:
    Cor! Well done, Dell! Can you follow suit with a nice looking computer, too?
    January 4, 2008 8:27 AM

bryan14c said:
    well nice work Dell! the is a new set of desktop like the casing will have a see tru , well you can see inside the case with all the hardware improve the XPS desktop hehe!!! ps i dont like the built in speakers , i agree with michael , the design is good but a hefty price tag is the problem wow!!!
    January 4, 2008 9:14 AM

Jehooverjr said:
    Dell: We'll listen, as well as post, and ensure we engage in two-way conversations. Customers: So if it's not too much trouble could you engage with your consumer base over this issue A Sigmatel StereoMix enabled driver for Windows Vista is really needed one has been released for 2K/XP users, is Dell aware that Vista is Microsofts current OS? As said before, how about fixing errors in current products instead of having so much focus on new ones, which will probably have the same bugs. It would be nice if Dell could reply to this, either by blog or forum. . .
    January 5, 2008 4:22 PM

Matthew said:
    I agree with Micheal. Anyone with enough money to buy this will already have a great speaker system an so will have no need for the built in ones. However overall a nice design. Keep 'em commin Dell.
    January 6, 2008 5:53 AM

aikiwolfie said:
    When I first saw this display on IdeaStorm a while back I thought it looked great. But now the design has grown old on me. Dell took far too long between the initial "leaked" teaser images and actually bring the product to market. Better luck next time Dell.
    January 13, 2008 2:48 PM

Sebastian said:
    Um, if it didn't have speakers, wouldn't it just be a monitor with a piece of glass around it. The speakers are for show, they make it look attractive, even if you're not gonna use them. Most TVs come with speakers, even the 4 grand lcd ones. So if you don't want the speakers, maybe buy the one without them.