Latitude XT Pricing

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Latitude XT Pricing

First off, thanks to everyone for your insights on this product.  It's a product that lots of us have put effort into and we're happy bring it to market. Since last week, we've gotten over 150 comments from Direct2Dell readers. Much of that feedback involves pricing. The same is true for in the blogosphere. jkOntheRun's James Kendrick mentioned that our starting price was high. So did Larry Dignan from Between the Lines. Kudos to Crunchgear for the best headline on the topic.

So here's what I have to say on the issue. Probably the most important thing to note about tablet PCs is that we are talking about cutting-edge technology here.  If we just released the exact same technology as our competitors, we would be missing opportunities to drive this market to the next level - and this is an opportunity we did not want to miss.  The result is that our product does carry a slight premium to our competition (emphasis on the word "slight").

We believe that when you take a look at like-to-like configurations AND the incremental technology (that customers have overwhelming told us they want to have), the value equation for the Latitude XT far exceeds that of competitive systems.

We performed a price and feature compare with the Latitude XT, the HP 2710p and the Lenovo X61t.  Overall, what I found was that when you adjust for non-standard features such as Dell's standard 3 year standard warranty, the overall price delta was between 8-13%.  And while this amount is not trivial, the Latitude XT more that makes up for the difference with additional features customers have told us matter most to them.  I have summarized some of these in the table below:

Like I mentioned before, capacitive touch is key. While both Dell and Lenovo offer touch capabilities, it's all about the technology.  Dell outperforms Lenovo in customer preference testing, response times and outshines the X61t with our responsive digitizer providing a more accurate experience with fewer false touches and greater durability.

One of the advantages of bringing a product to market after the competition is tapping into how customers use and value the product.  Aspects like brightness touch capabilities and weight can really make a difference in real-world environments (hospitals, classrooms, sales engagements, etc.).  That's why Dell took great pains to design a system that addresses these key pain points.

You can expect future threads and videos coming out in the near future to further explain and show how the Dell Latitude XT is the new standard for tablet computing.  In the meantime, we've also posted more information at www.dell.com/tablet.

Please keep the feedback coming.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Why is there no comparison of CPU speed? HDD speed? Pressure levels?

The competition far outshines you in these categories. 

Furthermore, why do you never compare the quality of Lenovo's Wacom pen to the quality of your N-Trig pen? You only compare the tocuh capabilities, which frankly are a secondar feature...the pen is what matters. Is the N-Trig pen experience inferior?

Slight? I priced out your product with a 1.2 ghz CPU, a 5,400 rpm HDD, the media base, four cell battery, draft-n wireless, Bluetooth, and Windows Vista Business. The total is $3,233.

I then priced out an x61t from Lenovo for $1,760. The Lenovo has Windows Vista Ultimate, an eight cell battery, the same wireless options (including Bluetooth) a 1.6 ghz processor, a 7,200 rpm HDD and the same amount of RAM.

That's a difference of almost $1,500. I could almost buy two Lenovos! Even if I got a better warranty on the Lenovo it would still be less!

Slight? Do you think we're stupid? Do you think just because you say something and make fancy (but meaningless/incomplete) graphs that we're just going to believe you?

This condescending blog post is the icing on the cake. Goodbye Dell. You've lost a lot of loyal customers with your handling of this product.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Thanks for the info Glenn and I look foreward to future updates. 
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

Oh and one more thing...

The biggest complaint people have about tablets, and the reason they haven't caught on is not their size, it's their price. Wow...your product is two tenths and inch thinner and two tenths a pound lighter. There is not a substantial difference. If you actually listened to everyone you would realize that PRICE is the issue.

Your tablet is no better or worse than the competitions. I can't believe I wasted so much time waiting for this lame system.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I've taken some time to check out the configurations and pricing of the XT vs X61t and here is what I found.

Description
    Latitude XT
    Date & Time: December 18,2007 10:59 AM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Latitude XT Qty    1  
      Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV U7600 (1.20GHz, 533Mhz), DLV LCD, Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate, with media Unit Price   $3,144.00  
    Catalog Number:  5 MLB196
     Module  Description Show Details
    Latitude XT Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV U7600 (1.20GHz, 533Mhz), DLV LCD
    Operating Systems Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate, with media
    Memory 2.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, (1GB Integrated) 2 DIMMs
    Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard
    Graphics ATI® Integrated Graphics Radeon Xpress 1250
    Hard Drives 120GB Hard Drive, 8MM, 5400RPM
    Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
    AC Adapter 45 Watt AC Adapter
    Primary External Optical Drive Options D-Bay plus 24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Roxio Creator and Cyberlink PowerDVD™
    Wireless LAN (802.11) Dell Wireless™ 1490 802.11a/g Dual-band Mini Card
    System Documentation Resource DVD, Quick Reference Guide and Tablet Features Guide
    Batteries 6 Cell Primary Battery
    Services 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
    Processor Branding Intel Core Solo Processor
    OS Branding Vista Premium Label
    TOTAL:$3,144.00

Remove
    -->7764CTO--> ThinkPad X61 Tablet Series 1 Yr Depot Warranty
    Edit  
    Ships within 2-3 weeks** $1,674.40
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV (1.6GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)[1]
    Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate[12]
    12.1" MultiView + MultiTouch WVA XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
    2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)Music
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm with Disk Encryption[4]
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim[5]
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[10]
    ThinkPad X60 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery[60]
    7764: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty[7]
    41C9168 3 year onsite 9x5 Next Business Day $219.00 $219.00

function showCart() { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:AddConfigToDemoCart"); } function viewCarts(type) { if( type ) { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:search-carts?ma=true&selected-type="+type); } else { alert("Please login as registered user before querying"); mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:search-carts?ma=true"); } } function showStatic(type) { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:CartStatics?ma=true&selected-type="+type); } function setSelectedMenu(pos) { var selMenu = document.getElementById("shopping-menu-selected-line"); if( !selMenu ) { var form = document.getElementById("mainForm"); if ( !form ) form = document.mainForm; selMenu = document.createElement('INPUT'); selMenu.setAttribute('type', 'hidden'); selMenu.setAttribute('name', 'shopping-menu-selected-line'); selMenu.setAttribute('id', 'shopping-menu-selected-line'); if( form ) form.appendChild(selMenu); } selMenu.value = pos; } function popup(url, width, height) { var newwindow=window.open(url,'_blank','resizable=yes, scrollbars=yes, height='+height+',width='+width); }

Update
    Continue shopping:
    Select a product Workstations Desktops Notebooks Accessories
    function goOverview() { var combo = document.getElementById("quickLink"); var selOpt = combo.options[combo.selectedIndex]; if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "" || selOpt.getAttribute("type") == null) { return false; } var mForm = document.getElementById('mainForm'); if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "1") { var mUrl = "/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?x=x"; mUrl += "¤t-category-id=" + selOpt.value; mUrl += "¤t-catalog-id=" + selOpt.getAttribute("catalogID"); mForm.action = mUrl; mForm.submit(); } else if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "3") { mForm.action = "/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:show-accessories"; mForm.submit(); } return true; }

Payment options:
    Buy fast, Feel Secure.®
    No payments for 6 months on orders over $750. Suject to credit approval. Learn more
    PayPal
    The safer, easier way to pay. Learn more
    Business Lease***
    Lease for as little as $ 59.00 a month for 36 months! Learn more
    function checkout() { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/checkout.workflow:StartCheckout?u=69&t=1197997677998&c=B8B44EE5BF1D417781FD31A79F1BCFA8"); }
    Savings: -$ 1,099.60
    Subtotal: $ 1,893.40
    eCoupon:
    Apply
    Note: The eCoupon code is case sensitive
    [USPSAVEDEC] -$ 418.60
    Estimated total: $ 1,893.40*

Using the current sale coupon code USPSAVEDEC I knocked another $418 of their price.  I tried to get the 2 systems as close together spec wise as possible.  Looks like more than 13% to me.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

As James has already pointed out in response to this post, your value claims are an exaggeration ("slight"?) in the more practical terms of the real world. And as I have pointed out, it doesn't matter if you think your tablet is 'da bomb' compared to the competition - and really, if you are more objective about the XT, you realize that it does not have a huge feature-add over the competition until multi-touch is a reality and has practical applications. The simple truth is that neither people nor businesses can afford $3000+ tablets in the current economy. Individuals, especially students, who are a major target audience, don't have the money, and the businesses are not going to see the needed 33%+ additional ROI on this product over the competition. They already struggle with tablets over laptops because of support issues, which is an issue Dell is well suited to address, but does not here since this is a stand-alone, unproven product (it should be an XPS product, it fits better there than the latitude line - in all seriousness I think you'd even get less price complaints).

If you want to truly provide tighter communication with the public via direct2dell and ideastorm, I ask that you please be honest and practical with us as well. I've worked with your people and I know you aren't all as blind to consumer perspective as you sometimes pretend to be in the PR streams. Asking for discussion on a topic like the above is simply asking for unnecessary heated debate when instead we could be discussing what I imagine are the very different real reasons behind the cost of this product release and what can be done for the best future solutions. That would garner more support and faithfulness to the Dell name than anything else you could do, and provide much more constructive feedback.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
     You call warranty (that means a phone answered in india) an uplift ? Give me a break, Dell you burned all your customers with bogus support and bad english.. Sell this in wallmart where you belong.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

I agree with the posters that this price point is too high. Regardless of the weight and multitouch, for a spec'd out unit, whose performance is subpar compared with other units, its too high.

I will NOT be recommending this unit to my faculty staff, and will steer them to other brands such as Fujitsu, and the Lenovos. 

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I think the comparisons you quote is spin

If you are inviting sensible comments please treat us with some respect

I think your choice not to compare HDDs and CPUs makes your comparison unsound - and as a secondary point there is no excuse for Dell not being competitive on these commodity components

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I was happy to see the introduction of the XT; it's been a long time coming.  The problem with it is that it seems to have been designed by a committee, who couldn't turn anything down.  DLV screen? Yea, we got it.  Pen in? Yea, we got it.  Touch in? Yea, we go it.  Keyboard? Yea, we got it.  Touch pad? Yea we got it.  Eraserhead? YEa we got it.  Clamshell screen? Yea we got it.  Works closed? Yea, we got it.  The problem with a design approach that can't define itself is, first, it becomes over-priced, and second, it becomes ineffective.  Notice that the graphics are second-rate, the note-taking is ineffective, the usability with a closed screen suffers.

Instead, Dell needs a real innovative tablet.  One, iPhone-style screen, with the very best ink-recognition technology; first-class shotgun-type mikes and zooming lenses for audio and video recording in real seminars and real meetings.  Let the mouse, keyboard and touchpad go; give it a high-powered graphics system, a physics chip for modeling and a hardware accelerator for speech recognition.  Set it up for multiple screens when in the office; let the keyboard and mouse be bluetooth.   Such a computer wouldn't need a complicated hinge or controls, it could be mechanically simple while retaining the underlying power that a real computer needs.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I too was waiting anxiously for the specs and price on the latitude tablet, and was also disappointed at what was finally released. The system just isn't powerful enough, and costs twice as much as it should, for what you get. I would take the X61 over this system, as you get the wacom pen technology, plus some decent hardware specs. The fraction of weight difference between the two just doesn't seem like enough. If you could bring the weight down to 3 lbs or less, then the price premium might start to make more sense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

as a graphic designer I was looking forward to the release of this tablet pc, though now I realize the pressure sensibility probably ain't good enough, and the touch feature won't make up for that weakness.

but on the bright side, it'll make the iTablet look like a bargain if it ever comes out.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I think Dell is mistaken if they think the minimal differences between the XT and competitive products can command the huge premium they're asking for. I've been using tablet PCs for four years. I've been ready for my next upgrade for almost a year now and was waiting for the XT to come out before making a decision. After configuring one the Dell site and seeing the astronomical price relative to other products I gave up on it. I'd rather pay a lot less for an "almost as good" product from a player with a track record like Lenovo. The XT price would have to be $1000 lower than it is for a reasonably configured model before I'd change my mind. My guess is the product managers for the XT made some bad assumptions about the market and they're going to have a very hard time selling it.

By the way, as far as I'm concerned a future capability (like dual touch) has no value whatsoever until you can actually use it. I would never pay for the promise of a feature.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Poor explanation, Dell.

Your market research somehow missed that the reason that everyone was excited that Dell was releasing a tablet was we expected that tablet pcs would FINALLY not command a ridiculous price premium. 

And other things still confuse me... why start out with a 1.06GHz Core Solo when the faster Core Duo is only $60 more???? Why are you nickel-and-diming on a $2500 product???

Boggles the mind, really.  Talk about dropping the ball.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

You know where you should have gone?

$700 starting price and placed in the Home and Home Office store. Get people to buy into this since you would be one of the few companies that could get a Tablet PC in the public eye, and get droves of people to buy this. Superior sales will get people working on Multi-touch applications, stat. Dell puts a smile on and the world goes on.

You know what happened?

The starting price is MUCH too high. Virtually no notebooks are sold anymore with single-core processors, yours not only does but charges 3 times as much as most people would pay. You incorporate other weak, old technology in the name of weight and battery life. Configure this nicely and you're looking at a big fat $4,000+ bill. For Pete's sake I could get a thin and light Voodoo notebook for that. Sure I wouldn't get a tablet but its a VOODOO! Which is synomymous with HORRENDOUSLY EXPENSIVE! Nicely equipped X61T's are ~$2500, and that is MUCH more than a 8-13% difference.

Try marketing this to students? Too expensive. Try marketing this to medical professionals/ people who work outside? No good - these people wear gloves in the workplace, where capacitive touchscreens are WORTHLESS.

You should have stuck with a Wacom digitizer, which oh by the way has more pressure levels and better software support, and a resistive touch screen. Nobody is going to try to write with their index finger! Touch capabilities are primarily for exiting screens, clicking links, dragging scroll bars, etc. which do not require the kind of accuracy that a capacitive touchscreen offers.That's what the pen is for! Plus, who cares about multi-touch? There are ZERO applications available that have any merit that take advantage of multi-touch, and nobody is going to develop for a platform that nobody owns! Its going to be even WORSE than trying to get game developers to develop for the Ageia PhysX card!

Good bye, Dell. This summer, I'm getting an Apple Tablet if that comes in at either MacWorld or WWDC - and if it doesn't, I'll be getting a Lenovo tablet. Who knows? The X70t may come out, which could *gasp* include a Penryn processor and high-resolution displays with touch/multi-touch! Maybe it could even have a super-light power adapter too! 

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Frankly, I am dumbfounded and appalled by Dell's late late late first entry into the TPC game. I'm dumbfounded by the wacky specs (1GHz Core Solo base CPU? 1.8" HDDs? A 1GB SODIMM trapped inside forever preventing dual channel with 4GB set up? Really? Really really?), and appalled by the price and arrogance.

And don't tell me that the capacitive touch makes up for the difference. It's cute how you are encouraged to rub your fingerprints all over the thing like you were finger painting back in kindergarden, but when kids go to bed and adults go to work, they use their active digitizer pens. And with the pen, the N-Trig is no better than the Wacom in specs and far worse in software support.

Maybe if this was 5 years later and it's Dell's 4th gen device and Windows 7 has multi-touch features coming out of it's yin yang, fine, you may have something. But this is 2007 and it's Dell's very first TPC. Have some freakin' humility and price this thing like a sane corporation, will ya?

• Why is there no comparison of CPU speed? HDD speed? Pressure levels?

The competition far outshines you in these categories. 

Furthermore, why do you never compare the quality of Lenovo's Wacom pen to the quality of your N-Trig pen? You only compare the tocuh capabilities, which frankly are a secondar feature...the pen is what matters. Is the N-Trig pen experience inferior?

Slight? I priced out your product with a 1.2 ghz CPU, a 5,400 rpm HDD, the media base, four cell battery, draft-n wireless, Bluetooth, and Windows Vista Business. The total is $3,233.

I then priced out an x61t from Lenovo for $1,760. The Lenovo has Windows Vista Ultimate, an eight cell battery, the same wireless options (including Bluetooth) a 1.6 ghz processor, a 7,200 rpm HDD and the same amount of RAM.

That's a difference of almost $1,500. I could almost buy two Lenovos! Even if I got a better warranty on the Lenovo it would still be less!

Slight? Do you think we're stupid? Do you think just because you say something and make fancy (but meaningless/incomplete) graphs that we're just going to believe you?

This condescending blog post is the icing on the cake. Goodbye Dell. You've lost a lot of loyal customers with your handling of this product.

• Thanks for the info Glenn and I look foreward to future updates. 
  • Oh and one more thing...

The biggest complaint people have about tablets, and the reason they haven't caught on is not their size, it's their price. Wow...your product is two tenths and inch thinner and two tenths a pound lighter. There is not a substantial difference. If you actually listened to everyone you would realize that PRICE is the issue.

Your tablet is no better or worse than the competitions. I can't believe I wasted so much time waiting for this lame system.

• I've taken some time to check out the configurations and pricing of the XT vs X61t and here is what I found.

Description
    Latitude XT
    Date & Time: December 18,2007 10:59 AM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Latitude XT Qty    1  
      Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV U7600 (1.20GHz, 533Mhz), DLV LCD, Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate, with media Unit Price   $3,144.00  
    Catalog Number:  5 MLB196
     Module  Description Show Details
    Latitude XT Intel® Core™ 2 Duo ULV U7600 (1.20GHz, 533Mhz), DLV LCD
    Operating Systems Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate, with media
    Memory 2.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, (1GB Integrated) 2 DIMMs
    Internal Keyboard Internal English Keyboard
    Graphics ATI® Integrated Graphics Radeon Xpress 1250
    Hard Drives 120GB Hard Drive, 8MM, 5400RPM
    Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
    AC Adapter 45 Watt AC Adapter
    Primary External Optical Drive Options D-Bay plus 24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Roxio Creator and Cyberlink PowerDVD™
    Wireless LAN (802.11) Dell Wireless™ 1490 802.11a/g Dual-band Mini Card
    System Documentation Resource DVD, Quick Reference Guide and Tablet Features Guide
    Batteries 6 Cell Primary Battery
    Services 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
    Processor Branding Intel Core Solo Processor
    OS Branding Vista Premium Label
    TOTAL:$3,144.00

Remove
    -->7764CTO--> ThinkPad X61 Tablet Series 1 Yr Depot Warranty
    Edit  
    Ships within 2-3 weeks** $1,674.40
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV (1.6GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)[1]
    Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate[12]
    12.1" MultiView + MultiTouch WVA XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
    2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)Music
    160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm with Disk Encryption[4]
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim[5]
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG[10]
    ThinkPad X60 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery[60]
    7764: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty[7]
    41C9168 3 year onsite 9x5 Next Business Day $219.00 $219.00

function showCart() { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:AddConfigToDemoCart"); } function viewCarts(type) { if( type ) { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:search-carts?ma=true&selected-type="+type); } else { alert("Please login as registered user before querying"); mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:search-carts?ma=true"); } } function showStatic(type) { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/cart.workflow:CartStatics?ma=true&selected-type="+type); } function setSelectedMenu(pos) { var selMenu = document.getElementById("shopping-menu-selected-line"); if( !selMenu ) { var form = document.getElementById("mainForm"); if ( !form ) form = document.mainForm; selMenu = document.createElement('INPUT'); selMenu.setAttribute('type', 'hidden'); selMenu.setAttribute('name', 'shopping-menu-selected-line'); selMenu.setAttribute('id', 'shopping-menu-selected-line'); if( form ) form.appendChild(selMenu); } selMenu.value = pos; } function popup(url, width, height) { var newwindow=window.open(url,'_blank','resizable=yes, scrollbars=yes, height='+height+',width='+width); }

Update
    Continue shopping:
    Select a product Workstations Desktops Notebooks Accessories
    function goOverview() { var combo = document.getElementById("quickLink"); var selOpt = combo.options[combo.selectedIndex]; if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "" || selOpt.getAttribute("type") == null) { return false; } var mForm = document.getElementById('mainForm'); if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "1") { var mUrl = "/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?x=x"; mUrl += "¤t-category-id=" + selOpt.value; mUrl += "¤t-catalog-id=" + selOpt.getAttribute("catalogID"); mForm.action = mUrl; mForm.submit(); } else if(selOpt.getAttribute("type") == "3") { mForm.action = "/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:show-accessories"; mForm.submit(); } return true; }

Payment options:
    Buy fast, Feel Secure.®
    No payments for 6 months on orders over $750. Suject to credit approval. Learn more
    PayPal
    The safer, easier way to pay. Learn more
    Business Lease***
    Lease for as little as $ 59.00 a month for 36 months! Learn more
    function checkout() { mySwapAction("/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/checkout.workflow:StartCheckout?u=69&t=1197997677998&c=B8B44EE5BF1D417781FD31A79F1BCFA8"); }
    Savings: -$ 1,099.60
    Subtotal: $ 1,893.40
    eCoupon:
    Apply
    Note: The eCoupon code is case sensitive
    [USPSAVEDEC] -$ 418.60
    Estimated total: $ 1,893.40*

Using the current sale coupon code USPSAVEDEC I knocked another $418 of their price.  I tried to get the 2 systems as close together spec wise as possible.  Looks like more than 13% to me.

• As James has already pointed out in response to this post, your value claims are an exaggeration ("slight"?) in the more practical terms of the real world. And as I have pointed out, it doesn't matter if you think your tablet is 'da bomb' compared to the competition - and really, if you are more objective about the XT, you realize that it does not have a huge feature-add over the competition until multi-touch is a reality and has practical applications. The simple truth is that neither people nor businesses can afford $3000+ tablets in the current economy. Individuals, especially students, who are a major target audience, don't have the money, and the businesses are not going to see the needed 33%+ additional ROI on this product over the competition. They already struggle with tablets over laptops because of support issues, which is an issue Dell is well suited to address, but does not here since this is a stand-alone, unproven product (it should be an XPS product, it fits better there than the latitude line - in all seriousness I think you'd even get less price complaints).

If you want to truly provide tighter communication with the public via direct2dell and ideastorm, I ask that you please be honest and practical with us as well. I've worked with your people and I know you aren't all as blind to consumer perspective as you sometimes pretend to be in the PR streams. Asking for discussion on a topic like the above is simply asking for unnecessary heated debate when instead we could be discussing what I imagine are the very different real reasons behind the cost of this product release and what can be done for the best future solutions. That would garner more support and faithfulness to the Dell name than anything else you could do, and provide much more constructive feedback.

•  You call warranty (that means a phone answered in india) an uplift ? Give me a break, Dell you burned all your customers with bogus support and bad english.. Sell this in wallmart where you belong.
  • I agree with the posters that this price point is too high. Regardless of the weight and multitouch, for a spec'd out unit, whose performance is subpar compared with other units, its too high.

I will NOT be recommending this unit to my faculty staff, and will steer them to other brands such as Fujitsu, and the Lenovos. 

• I think the comparisons you quote is spin

If you are inviting sensible comments please treat us with some respect

I think your choice not to compare HDDs and CPUs makes your comparison unsound - and as a secondary point there is no excuse for Dell not being competitive on these commodity components

• I was happy to see the introduction of the XT; it's been a long time coming.  The problem with it is that it seems to have been designed by a committee, who couldn't turn anything down.  DLV screen? Yea, we got it.  Pen in? Yea, we got it.  Touch in? Yea, we go it.  Keyboard? Yea, we got it.  Touch pad? Yea we got it.  Eraserhead? YEa we got it.  Clamshell screen? Yea we got it.  Works closed? Yea, we got it.  The problem with a design approach that can't define itself is, first, it becomes over-priced, and second, it becomes ineffective.  Notice that the graphics are second-rate, the note-taking is ineffective, the usability with a closed screen suffers.

Instead, Dell needs a real innovative tablet.  One, iPhone-style screen, with the very best ink-recognition technology; first-class shotgun-type mikes and zooming lenses for audio and video recording in real seminars and real meetings.  Let the mouse, keyboard and touchpad go; give it a high-powered graphics system, a physics chip for modeling and a hardware accelerator for speech recognition.  Set it up for multiple screens when in the office; let the keyboard and mouse be bluetooth.   Such a computer wouldn't need a complicated hinge or controls, it could be mechanically simple while retaining the underlying power that a real computer needs.

• I too was waiting anxiously for the specs and price on the latitude tablet, and was also disappointed at what was finally released. The system just isn't powerful enough, and costs twice as much as it should, for what you get. I would take the X61 over this system, as you get the wacom pen technology, plus some decent hardware specs. The fraction of weight difference between the two just doesn't seem like enough. If you could bring the weight down to 3 lbs or less, then the price premium might start to make more sense.
  • as a graphic designer I was looking forward to the release of this tablet pc, though now I realize the pressure sensibility probably ain't good enough, and the touch feature won't make up for that weakness.

but on the bright side, it'll make the iTablet look like a bargain if it ever comes out.

• I think Dell is mistaken if they think the minimal differences between the XT and competitive products can command the huge premium they're asking for. I've been using tablet PCs for four years. I've been ready for my next upgrade for almost a year now and was waiting for the XT to come out before making a decision. After configuring one the Dell site and seeing the astronomical price relative to other products I gave up on it. I'd rather pay a lot less for an "almost as good" product from a player with a track record like Lenovo. The XT price would have to be $1000 lower than it is for a reasonably configured model before I'd change my mind. My guess is the product managers for the XT made some bad assumptions about the market and they're going to have a very hard time selling it.

By the way, as far as I'm concerned a future capability (like dual touch) has no value whatsoever until you can actually use it. I would never pay for the promise of a feature.

• Poor explanation, Dell.

Your market research somehow missed that the reason that everyone was excited that Dell was releasing a tablet was we expected that tablet pcs would FINALLY not command a ridiculous price premium. 

And other things still confuse me... why start out with a 1.06GHz Core Solo when the faster Core Duo is only $60 more???? Why are you nickel-and-diming on a $2500 product???

Boggles the mind, really.  Talk about dropping the ball.

• You know where you should have gone?

$700 starting price and placed in the Home and Home Office store. Get people to buy into this since you would be one of the few companies that could get a Tablet PC in the public eye, and get droves of people to buy this. Superior sales will get people working on Multi-touch applications, stat. Dell puts a smile on and the world goes on.

You know what happened?

The starting price is MUCH too high. Virtually no notebooks are sold anymore with single-core processors, yours not only does but charges 3 times as much as most people would pay. You incorporate other weak, old technology in the name of weight and battery life. Configure this nicely and you're looking at a big fat $4,000+ bill. For Pete's sake I could get a thin and light Voodoo notebook for that. Sure I wouldn't get a tablet but its a VOODOO! Which is synomymous with HORRENDOUSLY EXPENSIVE! Nicely equipped X61T's are ~$2500, and that is MUCH more than a 8-13% difference.

Try marketing this to students? Too expensive. Try marketing this to medical professionals/ people who work outside? No good - these people wear gloves in the workplace, where capacitive touchscreens are WORTHLESS.

You should have stuck with a Wacom digitizer, which oh by the way has more pressure levels and better software support, and a resistive touch screen. Nobody is going to try to write with their index finger! Touch capabilities are primarily for exiting screens, clicking links, dragging scroll bars, etc. which do not require the kind of accuracy that a capacitive touchscreen offers.That's what the pen is for! Plus, who cares about multi-touch? There are ZERO applications available that have any merit that take advantage of multi-touch, and nobody is going to develop for a platform that nobody owns! Its going to be even WORSE than trying to get game developers to develop for the Ageia PhysX card!

Good bye, Dell. This summer, I'm getting an Apple Tablet if that comes in at either MacWorld or WWDC - and if it doesn't, I'll be getting a Lenovo tablet. Who knows? The X70t may come out, which could *gasp* include a Penryn processor and high-resolution displays with touch/multi-touch! Maybe it could even have a super-light power adapter too! 

• Frankly, I am dumbfounded and appalled by Dell's late late late first entry into the TPC game. I'm dumbfounded by the wacky specs (1GHz Core Solo base CPU? 1.8" HDDs? A 1GB SODIMM trapped inside forever preventing dual channel with 4GB set up? Really? Really really?), and appalled by the price and arrogance.

And don't tell me that the capacitive touch makes up for the difference. It's cute how you are encouraged to rub your fingerprints all over the thing like you were finger painting back in kindergarden, but when kids go to bed and adults go to work, they use their active digitizer pens. And with the pen, the N-Trig is no better than the Wacom in specs and far worse in software support.

Maybe if this was 5 years later and it's Dell's 4th gen device and Windows 7 has multi-touch features coming out of it's yin yang, fine, you may have something. But this is 2007 and it's Dell's very first TPC. Have some freakin' humility and price this thing like a sane corporation, will ya?