Blogs

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Modem Driver Not Yet Available for Ubuntu 7.10

• Comments 15
For those customers currently using Ubuntu 7.04 on a Dell laptop, please be warned that the Conexant hsfmodem driver that we made available for 7.04 does not work with Ubuntu 7.10. If you upgrade a 7.04 installation to 7.10, your modem will no longer work.

We are currently testing a new modem driver for 7.10, but that testing is not yet complete, and the driver is not yet available to customers. If you need your modem to work, please do not upgrade to 7.10 until we have made the new driver available. We expect to have it available for download in the next few weeks.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

Comments
  • Will you releasing a cutomised 7.10 distro ? 
  • For future Dell Linux systems, please consider an actual modem rather than a "Winmodem", if you are going to offer a modem with the machine.  Real modems need no add-on proprietary drivers; they are supported by Linux "out of the box".
  • Not a problem for me.  Since I don't have a landline, I don't use it.  But a fair question - will Dell roll out a "version" of 7.10 for existing users (specifically, I'm on an Inspiron E1505n)?

Thanks,

Mark

• I already upgraded my Inspiron to Gutsy and can't wait for this. Thanks for all the work, all we buy at my home are dells.
  • Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier for you if the modem driver was open-sourced so that you wouldn't have to fix it with every new kernel/distro release?
  • Many thanks.Waiting for it.
  • I found this blog entry too late and upgraded my Inspiron E1505n to 7.10, so of course my modem does not work. I agree with the above comments. It would be great top have a "real" modem or an open-source solution.
  • Hi,

i find this "winmodem" story very amazing.. (but not so amusing)

two bits about my config:

• i have a 2 year old Dell Precision M70
    • running debian (sid ,etch, now unstable..)
    • with a custom made kernel

and i have been struggling for a looong time to find the right driver for my modem, under linux.. (i live in italy and i need it when i'm on road, or on holidays..)

no way.. need to pay thos linuxant.com folks for support of a piece (someway) running on the "other os" (dual booting for this simple reason!)

then sometime ago  i found here that on the ispiron there was support for the modem under ubuntu 7.04.

so i thought.. mayb it works for me too!

and it did the trick also for my Dell Precision M70.. (up to now, i'm running it under 2.6.22)

nb-venturi:/usr/share/doc/hsfmodem# hsfconfig --info
    Conexant HSF softmodem driver, version 7.60.00.06oem
    Current parameters: ("hsfconfig --info")

Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHSF0
            Device instance: 0-PCI-8086:266d-14f1:5423
            HW revision    : CXT23 SSD=20 LSD=0x10
            HW profile name: hsfmc97ich
            Current region : ITALY (T.35 code: 0059)

so i'm wondering why you Dell people are not keen to tell this simple truth to Precision owners..

are Precision linux supported stuff, over there in texas? 

i was tempted to put out a page and share this info.. but works never give me rest.

anyway, it's truth that Dell is doing way better then the competitor for the linux camp.

bye

andrea venturi

• I have a conexant HCF v.90 56K modem, a Dell Dimmesions 4100, and ubuntu 7.04.  I am new to ubuntu and really want to make a full switch but can not find a driver.  Will this driver work at full speed for me? 
  • Will the hsf modem driver work for the hcf modem?  No, they are different.  But, this brings up a good question:  Now that Dell is supporting linux on specific models which use the hsf modem, it's good to see that Dell is providing the driver.  So, for those who bought a Dell before and have the other (hcf) modem, it would be nice to see Dell provide the driver for it also.  John, could you consider this?

• paul: We'll take a look at the hcf modems. No plans right now, but we'll investigate
  • @Mike:Some of my friends told me that they had used the driver for HCF and it had worked fine so it's better to test it.As you mentioned you're using Feisty and the DELL driver is available for feisty.

Hope to see you in persons who had made a full switch.

TNX.

• Hi,

Since there is now an updated HSF driver for Ubuntu i386, could an x86_64 ubuntu .deb package be provided too please? I only see a 64bit rpm and tarball here: http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/modem-drivers/hsf/

Warm regards,

Neil.

• Modem Driver for Ubuntu 7.10:

check this link:

http://linux.us.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10/Issues/New_Conexant_Modem_Driver

• Ubunut 7.10 does boot with the Feisty 7.04 kernels such as version 2.6.20-16-generic.  Get this linux-image-2.6.20-16-generic package and companion companion linux-headers-2.6.20-16-generic + linux-headers-2.6.20-16 packages by searching the Feisty distribution at http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Under Linux these packages can be coinstalled with:

$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then reboot with the -2.6.20-16 and compile the hsfmodem drivers for it.

MarvS

scanModem maintainer