Ubuntu 7.10 Update

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Ubuntu 7.10 Update

As many of you know, the Ubuntu community is planning to release their next version Ubuntu Linux, version 7.10 (a.k.a "Gutsy Gibbon"), this Thursday. At this time, we're not yet ready to announce our product plans around Ubuntu 7.10, but I would like to share information on some of the work my engineering team has been performing with the OS.

Over the past few months, our focus with Ubuntu 7.10 has revolved primarily around hardware functionality and stability on the systems we plan to support. This has involved a great deal of testing, identifying and troubleshooting bugs, and working with the Ubuntu community to get those bugs fixed in the OS. In particular, much of our testing has focused on the following areas: graphics (laptop native resolution support, monitor compatibility), wired/wireless networking, suspend/hibernate, laptop webcams, audio, and touchpad mouse scrolling, to name a few. We have also focused on performing OS upgrade testing, to make sure the OS upgrade process is as smooth as possible for Dell customers. As always, our goal is to have Ubuntu 7.10 "just work" when installing it on supported hardware, and I think customers will have a very good experience using the OS on our supported hardware.

We have created a new Ubuntu 7.10 page on our wiki, and have begun updating it with information. After Ubuntu 7.10 is available on Thursday, please review the content on this page before updating your operating system from 7.04 to 7.10. For additional information and help, please check the Dell Desktop Linux mailing list, the Dell Linux Forum, or the Ubuntu/Dell forum.

In addition to all of our technical work, the team has also been spending a lot of time talking to customers, reading community and media reviews, sorting through Dell Ideastorm postings, and reviewing the Dell and Ubuntu Linux forums, in order to learn how we can improve our Ubuntu Linux offerings. We have incorporated much of that information into shaping our test plans, bug fixing efforts, and product plans, and we think our customers will be pleased with the progress we have made.

We'll provide more information soon on those product plans around Ubuntu 7.10, including supported systems, supported hardware features, availability timeframe, and countries. Please stay tuned.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Wow - that's awesome to know! I built my own Ubuntu box, but I would consider a Dell next time - less time fussing with sleep and wireless would be great!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

Dell selling Ubuntu machines is great, it’s a shame I just bought an Acer laptop not long ago. When I need a new work laptop, I will likely get a new Ubuntu Dell.

Is there any chance that you will start selling Kubuntu laptops as well?

• Ben: No plans to sell Kubuntu at this time. However, it's very easy for users to turn an Ubuntu install into Kubuntu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

I got my new XPS M1330 last week (with nVidia graphics and WLED screen) and installed Ubuntu 7.10 Beta on it, and - it just works!

All hardware works out of the box. For the video driver, I got a notice that there was a restricted driver available when starting up Ubuntu for the first time, and activating it was a matter of a few mouse clicks.

So I'm very happy that Ubuntu 7.10 works perfectly on the M1330.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Thank you, Hull, for all your efforts, as well as all your team. I'm really having that 'warm feeling' from Dell's new initiative on Linux desktops.

That's the main reason why I recently bought an Inspiron 1720 from Dell UK, specially to run Ubuntu on it: I want to financially help Dell into developing its Linux offerings. I must say I'm impressed with the 'just works' aspects of your hardware. I intend to buy many more from you in the near future because of that warm feeling.

My only complaint is the fact that your top and latest hardware offerings do not come with Ubuntu preinstalled, and that refrained me from buying more than one laptop: I'm waiting them to come with Ubuntu. Indeed, I was only able to buy my 1720 with Vista, which I promptly wiped out and threw the DVD away (seriously, Windows for me is like the plague). Therefore, mine (and many other buyers) financial efforts to support Linux on Dell will not show up in your Linux statistics.

I saw your interview in LXer. Someone cites a 1% figure for the amount of Dell hardware sold with Ubuntu. Put it in 2% or 3%, because I know many people who bought your latest hardware (which only comes with Vista), wiped Vista and are using Ubuntu. I'm sure that if you provided Ubuntu, this number would probably become 4% or 5% because these same people want to financially help Dell's efforts on Linux.

Please make sure that in the near future you provide Ubuntu not only in your bottom products, but at least in some of your top-notch laptops and desktops. Linux users usually are power-users which like to be on the edge of the technology, and your basic hardware offerings for Ubuntu just are not good enough for most of us. If you give us what we need (Ubuntu on top offerings) we will buy!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Thank you.  I'm a happy Dell-Ubuntu owner.  I got  an E520N on June 6.  I'll install 7.10 on a fresh partition and keep the older version until I'm sure I've got all the little customizations just like I want them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

So it looks as though more models are being planned to have Ubuntu on. Nice.

I was in the market for two 6400n but decided against it as the price for UK customers is much higher (50 pounds) than our German and French neighbours. And the baseic spec for the french and Germans is higher than for the UK.

I know this has nothing to do with the Linux team but it still smarts.

Now, what about drivers for Dell's printers.

• morrione: you raise a valid point. We haven't performed testing with the direct upstream kernels or with other distros, so we can't guarantee 100% that suspend and hibernate with work outside of Ubuntu. However, our strategy is to push any code necessary to get our hardware to work to the upstream kernel, so we do expect that it will work for most of the newer distributions.One way to look at it is that we're using Ubuntu as our primary test vehicle for our Linux hardware support, which allows us to enable Ubuntu specifically, but also enable all Linux distros in a more general sense. As always, if there's a feature that doesn't work on with any Linux distro on our hardware, we'd love to hear about it on our desktop mailing list.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Well, this sounds all nice and shiny, but what about the users who decide not use Ubuntu? Won't they have hybernate support and so on, because Ubuntu is using a patched kernel. Or will those issues be fixed upstream?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

I really like the Linux effort, but as said before: expand the effort to all devices including Optiplex, Precision and of course PowerEdge, but also accessories and peripherals.

But the main problem is proprietary hardware and closed source, but that's mostly due to restrictions made by the chipset manufacturers - non-disclosure agreements are widely used for W*ndows-only hardware.

IMHO the best way would be to get open source hardware support in the kernel sources or some Dell-repositories. By using Ubuntu as distribution, which is based on Debian, a .deb-repository would do well and could easily be integrated in every Debian-based distribution.

Just to put my two cents in...

by the way, I am a pure Debian user and I am willing to pay more for hardware, if I can use open source kernel drivers

• Matthias: we now have various Linux efforts across most of our product lines now. Red Hat and SUSE on our PowerEdge servers, Red Hat on Precision, Ubuntu on consumer systems, and SLED certifications on OptiPlex and Latitude. We are doing work with the Linux distribution that makes the most sense for each product line, and that work usually ends up trickling down into other distributions as well.

For the apt repository, that is something that we're working on.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Now if you would either dump Lexmark as your OEM partner or develop Linux drivers for the All In One devices...........

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Please sell Ubuntu Dell computers in the Netherlands! We are waiting such long time already!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Thanks for helping to make Linux "just work" on DELL hardware. It would be very cool if DELL would offer an Ubuntu laptop with an integrated webcam.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

Mr. Hull

Many Canadians have been  waiting for Dell Canada to ship computers with Ubuntu installed. So far nothing. We re in mid-october already.

Your input would be appreciated 

Thank you 

• Wow - that's awesome to know! I built my own Ubuntu box, but I would consider a Dell next time - less time fussing with sleep and wireless would be great!
  • Dell selling Ubuntu machines is great, it’s a shame I just bought an Acer laptop not long ago. When I need a new work laptop, I will likely get a new Ubuntu Dell.

Is there any chance that you will start selling Kubuntu laptops as well?

• Ben: No plans to sell Kubuntu at this time. However, it's very easy for users to turn an Ubuntu install into Kubuntu
  • I got my new XPS M1330 last week (with nVidia graphics and WLED screen) and installed Ubuntu 7.10 Beta on it, and - it just works!

All hardware works out of the box. For the video driver, I got a notice that there was a restricted driver available when starting up Ubuntu for the first time, and activating it was a matter of a few mouse clicks.

So I'm very happy that Ubuntu 7.10 works perfectly on the M1330.

• Thank you, Hull, for all your efforts, as well as all your team. I'm really having that 'warm feeling' from Dell's new initiative on Linux desktops.

That's the main reason why I recently bought an Inspiron 1720 from Dell UK, specially to run Ubuntu on it: I want to financially help Dell into developing its Linux offerings. I must say I'm impressed with the 'just works' aspects of your hardware. I intend to buy many more from you in the near future because of that warm feeling.

My only complaint is the fact that your top and latest hardware offerings do not come with Ubuntu preinstalled, and that refrained me from buying more than one laptop: I'm waiting them to come with Ubuntu. Indeed, I was only able to buy my 1720 with Vista, which I promptly wiped out and threw the DVD away (seriously, Windows for me is like the plague). Therefore, mine (and many other buyers) financial efforts to support Linux on Dell will not show up in your Linux statistics.

I saw your interview in LXer. Someone cites a 1% figure for the amount of Dell hardware sold with Ubuntu. Put it in 2% or 3%, because I know many people who bought your latest hardware (which only comes with Vista), wiped Vista and are using Ubuntu. I'm sure that if you provided Ubuntu, this number would probably become 4% or 5% because these same people want to financially help Dell's efforts on Linux.

Please make sure that in the near future you provide Ubuntu not only in your bottom products, but at least in some of your top-notch laptops and desktops. Linux users usually are power-users which like to be on the edge of the technology, and your basic hardware offerings for Ubuntu just are not good enough for most of us. If you give us what we need (Ubuntu on top offerings) we will buy!

• Thank you.  I'm a happy Dell-Ubuntu owner.  I got  an E520N on June 6.  I'll install 7.10 on a fresh partition and keep the older version until I'm sure I've got all the little customizations just like I want them.
  • So it looks as though more models are being planned to have Ubuntu on. Nice.

I was in the market for two 6400n but decided against it as the price for UK customers is much higher (50 pounds) than our German and French neighbours. And the baseic spec for the french and Germans is higher than for the UK.

I know this has nothing to do with the Linux team but it still smarts.

Now, what about drivers for Dell's printers.

• morrione: you raise a valid point. We haven't performed testing with the direct upstream kernels or with other distros, so we can't guarantee 100% that suspend and hibernate with work outside of Ubuntu. However, our strategy is to push any code necessary to get our hardware to work to the upstream kernel, so we do expect that it will work for most of the newer distributions.One way to look at it is that we're using Ubuntu as our primary test vehicle for our Linux hardware support, which allows us to enable Ubuntu specifically, but also enable all Linux distros in a more general sense. As always, if there's a feature that doesn't work on with any Linux distro on our hardware, we'd love to hear about it on our desktop mailing list.
  • Well, this sounds all nice and shiny, but what about the users who decide not use Ubuntu? Won't they have hybernate support and so on, because Ubuntu is using a patched kernel. Or will those issues be fixed upstream?
  • I really like the Linux effort, but as said before: expand the effort to all devices including Optiplex, Precision and of course PowerEdge, but also accessories and peripherals.

But the main problem is proprietary hardware and closed source, but that's mostly due to restrictions made by the chipset manufacturers - non-disclosure agreements are widely used for W*ndows-only hardware.

IMHO the best way would be to get open source hardware support in the kernel sources or some Dell-repositories. By using Ubuntu as distribution, which is based on Debian, a .deb-repository would do well and could easily be integrated in every Debian-based distribution.

Just to put my two cents in...

by the way, I am a pure Debian user and I am willing to pay more for hardware, if I can use open source kernel drivers

• Matthias: we now have various Linux efforts across most of our product lines now. Red Hat and SUSE on our PowerEdge servers, Red Hat on Precision, Ubuntu on consumer systems, and SLED certifications on OptiPlex and Latitude. We are doing work with the Linux distribution that makes the most sense for each product line, and that work usually ends up trickling down into other distributions as well.

For the apt repository, that is something that we're working on.

• Now if you would either dump Lexmark as your OEM partner or develop Linux drivers for the All In One devices...........

• Please sell Ubuntu Dell computers in the Netherlands! We are waiting such long time already!
  • Thanks for helping to make Linux "just work" on DELL hardware. It would be very cool if DELL would offer an Ubuntu laptop with an integrated webcam.
  • Mr. Hull

Many Canadians have been  waiting for Dell Canada to ship computers with Ubuntu installed. So far nothing. We re in mid-october already.

Your input would be appreciated 

Thank you