Dell repository updates—firmware repo

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Dell repository updates—firmware repo

I posted to the mailing list several weeks ago about the firmware repository moving from fwupdate.com to linux.dell.com. As of this week, there are a couple of updates to the firmware repository to take note of:

First, we have added PERC5 and SAS5 controller firmware updates to the firmware repository. This joins the LSI PERC4 updates that already existed.

Second, we have regenerated most of the images in the repository, so along with a few bugfixes there are a few new BIOS images in the repository now that were previously missing.

And last, you will notice that there are BMC packages in the repository, but note that the installation routines for these are disabled for the time being due to some bugs which are being worked on. 

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Is there some thing that I should be doing?  

It looks like there is an updated BIOS firmware and maybe some other firmware that I should be installing into my Dell 1505.   If so, where do I go to download the firmware and where do I find the instructions to install?

• If you want to update your BIOS from Ubuntu, you can see manual update instructions here

The firmware-tools code is not available on Ubuntu/Debian. This is not because it wont run on Ubuntu, but rather because no community contributors have stepped forward to help maintain packaging for firmware-tools in Ubuntu. I have asked repeatedly for ubuntu help, most recent example here, for example.

Other resources:

The main firmware-tools documentation page.

The main libsmbios documentation page.

The main repositories documentation page.

• First, thanks for the comments. I'd like to address a few questions and points you made. 

All Linux (Red Hat, Novell, and Ubuntu) drivers and other updates are available and will continue to be available through the normal support.dell.com pages.

The point of firmware-tools and the Dell repositories is *not* to replace any of these existing resources. They are an enhancement on top of these existing support sites. They represent a fundamental shift in how Dell interacts with our customers.

For example, *today* a Red Hat customer using only the existing support.dell.com resources cannot do a "yum update" to upgrade to the latest Dell drivers or firmware. The cannot do a "yum install" to install new Dell applications such as OMSA. Heck, they cant even use their native tools to even find out when new things are available. The same holds true for our Ubuntu customers, with the only difference being the commands they want to use "apt-get" vs "yum" or "up2date".

These new repositories represent a shift so that our Linux customers can manage their Dell-sourced software in *exactly* *the* *same* *way* that they manage the rest of their software stack, using native OS tools like yum and apt.

Am I trying to do *way* too much here? Yes, absolutely. I'm constantly playing catch-up and fixing bugs and whatnot. Does that mean it doesnt work or isnt stable for the vast majority of my users? No. I have several thousand people who use the repository without incident.

I'm driving change within Dell. We are now in discussions (warning: standard forward-looking statement disclaimer applies) with the people that can get this done to bring the repositories under the official support umbrella. And that is just the beginning. Once we have a native method to deliver content to our customers without using special Dell-proprietary tools, there are all kinds of cool things we can do.

I'd point out at this time that this is exactly the same thing that people like Google and Adobe are doing to distribute their software. They are setting up native OS repositories.

And then on to the ubuntu question. Yes, I'm doing way too much. Realizing this, I've purposely *not* set up anything for Debian/Ubuntu because it would really strain my time. I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to solicit more community-based feedback, contributions, and support.

Hopefully somebody will step up to help in this endeavor. Otherwise, this will have to wait until I free up enough time to support it properly.

Thanks again for your comments.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I have looked at your four URI resources you post and it almost looks like you are trying to do too much yourself.  Dell has announced they are going to support Ubuntu Linux and continue supporting RedHat Linux but have they allocated the necessary resources to do so?  Will they allocate more resources to do so?  Is Dell having you spending time setting up a separate infrastructure for Linux support when it already has that for Windows?  Why not use the existing infrastructure?  For example, include Ubuntu in the already-known-and-well-used-by-the-community infrastructure such as

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_745&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

The link above is for a Optiplex 745 and I know you don't officially support Linux on it (though I have it running Linux without problems) but I hope you grasp my idea of using the existing infrastructure that the world is familiar with and not spending your efforts on recreating stuff.

I don't intent to be critical but I do want Dell to succeed in this endeavor.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Thanks Michael for communicating back to us and for all your efforts.  I understand more of what you all are doing.

May the force be with you in driving change within Dell!  I believe this is positive change for Dell in many respects (financial and long-term longevity for Dell, customer-centric focus Dell is creating, respect from the community for listening to them, and loyalty from the technical crowd).

Kudos! 

• Is there some thing that I should be doing?  

It looks like there is an updated BIOS firmware and maybe some other firmware that I should be installing into my Dell 1505.   If so, where do I go to download the firmware and where do I find the instructions to install?

• If you want to update your BIOS from Ubuntu, you can see manual update instructions here

The firmware-tools code is not available on Ubuntu/Debian. This is not because it wont run on Ubuntu, but rather because no community contributors have stepped forward to help maintain packaging for firmware-tools in Ubuntu. I have asked repeatedly for ubuntu help, most recent example here, for example.

Other resources:

The main firmware-tools documentation page.

The main libsmbios documentation page.

The main repositories documentation page.

• First, thanks for the comments. I'd like to address a few questions and points you made. 

All Linux (Red Hat, Novell, and Ubuntu) drivers and other updates are available and will continue to be available through the normal support.dell.com pages.

The point of firmware-tools and the Dell repositories is *not* to replace any of these existing resources. They are an enhancement on top of these existing support sites. They represent a fundamental shift in how Dell interacts with our customers.

For example, *today* a Red Hat customer using only the existing support.dell.com resources cannot do a "yum update" to upgrade to the latest Dell drivers or firmware. The cannot do a "yum install" to install new Dell applications such as OMSA. Heck, they cant even use their native tools to even find out when new things are available. The same holds true for our Ubuntu customers, with the only difference being the commands they want to use "apt-get" vs "yum" or "up2date".

These new repositories represent a shift so that our Linux customers can manage their Dell-sourced software in *exactly* *the* *same* *way* that they manage the rest of their software stack, using native OS tools like yum and apt.

Am I trying to do *way* too much here? Yes, absolutely. I'm constantly playing catch-up and fixing bugs and whatnot. Does that mean it doesnt work or isnt stable for the vast majority of my users? No. I have several thousand people who use the repository without incident.

I'm driving change within Dell. We are now in discussions (warning: standard forward-looking statement disclaimer applies) with the people that can get this done to bring the repositories under the official support umbrella. And that is just the beginning. Once we have a native method to deliver content to our customers without using special Dell-proprietary tools, there are all kinds of cool things we can do.

I'd point out at this time that this is exactly the same thing that people like Google and Adobe are doing to distribute their software. They are setting up native OS repositories.

And then on to the ubuntu question. Yes, I'm doing way too much. Realizing this, I've purposely *not* set up anything for Debian/Ubuntu because it would really strain my time. I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to solicit more community-based feedback, contributions, and support.

Hopefully somebody will step up to help in this endeavor. Otherwise, this will have to wait until I free up enough time to support it properly.

Thanks again for your comments.

• I have looked at your four URI resources you post and it almost looks like you are trying to do too much yourself.  Dell has announced they are going to support Ubuntu Linux and continue supporting RedHat Linux but have they allocated the necessary resources to do so?  Will they allocate more resources to do so?  Is Dell having you spending time setting up a separate infrastructure for Linux support when it already has that for Windows?  Why not use the existing infrastructure?  For example, include Ubuntu in the already-known-and-well-used-by-the-community infrastructure such as

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_745&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

The link above is for a Optiplex 745 and I know you don't officially support Linux on it (though I have it running Linux without problems) but I hope you grasp my idea of using the existing infrastructure that the world is familiar with and not spending your efforts on recreating stuff.

I don't intent to be critical but I do want Dell to succeed in this endeavor.

• Thanks Michael for communicating back to us and for all your efforts.  I understand more of what you all are doing.

May the force be with you in driving change within Dell!  I believe this is positive change for Dell in many respects (financial and long-term longevity for Dell, customer-centric focus Dell is creating, respect from the community for listening to them, and loyalty from the technical crowd).

Kudos!