July, 2007

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog
  • Dear Mr. Hurd: Power and Cooling Has Sparked a Debate; Customers Want More Than Hot Air!

HP is busy promoting the company's "energy efficient" products, prompting customers to ask about our current generation of efficient solutions and plans for the future. You may remember HP announced their " Dynamic Smart Cooling " product last November...
  • Crowd-Sourcing the Discussion @ LinuxWorld

LinuxWorld happens next week in San Francisco on August 6 - 9. As part of our activities there, Kevin Kettler, our Chief Technology Officer will deliver a keynote on Tuesday, August 7, 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM. To augment his keynote, we are asking the Linux...
  • Ethernet device naming

What's the "right" name for an ethernet device? When you have several NICs on a system, the chassis silkscreen label and BIOS-given name for an ethernet device (e.g. "Gb1", "Gb2") may not map to the expected Linux device...
  • Latest on the XPS M1330 Notebook

I know that many of you have been waiting for an update on the status of the XPS M1330 notebook, and I wanted to take a few minutes to share where we are. While we have begun shipping on a limited basis, we expect to begin large-scale production and...
  • libsmbios 0.13.8 release

I have released libsmbios version 0.13.8. You can download source tarballs from http://linux.dell.com/libsmbios/download/libsmbios/libsmbios-0.13.8/ . Prebuilt RPMs for Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise, and Suse Enterprise can all be found in the Dell Software...
  • Global Retail Strategy Continues to Evolve

As Dell continues connecting with customers around the globe, we're learning that some of them prefer to see and buy our products in retail stores. In May, Wal-Mart announced that we would be selling select desktops and notebooks there and in Sams Club...
  • XPS 1330 Update Tomorrow

I know several of you are expecting an update on the status of the XPS M1330 . Truth is that I still need a bit more time to finalize the details. I should have a brief update by sometime tomorrow. My apologies for the delay. Update 7/27: We're still...
  • Michael Dell Talks About Simplifying IT and More

Michael recently did an interview with Jim Citrin for his Leadership By Example column for Yahoo! Finance. In the Q&A, Michael talks about Dell's goal to simplify IT and how we're working with customers to define that strategy. Michael also touches...
  • Customer Service in Second Life

It's been too long since I've blogged here and I hope that people don't think that's because we've joined the companies quoted in a recent Forbes article (registration required) saying they were pulling out of Second Life. GigaOM has a good post...
  • Downloadable, PDF Format, Full Technical Specs for All Systems

We didn’t anticipate the recent popularity of this idea, but we’ve certainly been pleased to see the volume of interest on IdeaStorm for having the full technical specifications of our products readily available during the purchase experience...