More Systems Now Part of Vertical Line Issue

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

More Systems Now Part of Vertical Line Issue

Update: January 16, 2008—Mike Bukowski, a Technical Analyst from our Dell Customer Advocate team recently published a post that discusses other potential causes of vertical lines on notebook displays.

In April, I blogged about vertical lines appearing on some of Dell’s notebook LCDs. At that time, we found that a small number of 17” LCD displays shipped with Dell Inspiron 9200, 9300 and Dell XPS Gen 2 notebooks may develop a one-pixel wide vertical line may develop across the LCD screen over time.

In the time since then, we have found that there are other systems that are potentially affected. All of these shipped between December 2004 and December 2006:

• Inspiron 6000 and 8600
  • Latitude D800 and D810
  • Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M60 and M70

The cause of the vertical lines has been traced to one specific component used on a small number of LCDs shipped on the potentially affected systems. Dell uses LCDs from several manufacturers and many notebook models are manufactured with screens of the same size from more than one vendor. We have confirmed that the component in question was not used on any other Dell notebook LCDs.

Even if you have one of the potentially affected systems with the confirmed component, it does not mean your LCD will develop a vertical line. This specific issue happens on a portion of the 9 systems we're calling out as potentially affected. If you have a notebook display with a vertical line that's not called out here, we will provide traditional technical support to try to resolve the issue.

So what are we doing with customers who are affected with this specific issue? The same thing we've done with affected 17” displays: We will replace any LCD that develops a vertical line associated with this specific issue within three years of purchase, at no charge for parts and labor. Also, Dell will offer refunds to customers who paid Dell to replace LCDs affected by this issue.

So what do you need to do next? Please contact us. For customers in the United States, there are two ways to reach us.

Via Phone Number:

U.S. customers who are experiencing this issue, or who have paid to replace an LCD for this issue can call the appropriate Technical Support phone number listed below:

• U.S. Inspiron Technical Support: 1-800-624-9896
    • Say “Technical Support”
    • Enter your Express Service Code or say, “I don’t have it”
    • Is your system for Personal or Business use
    • Say “Notebook”
    • Is your system an Inspiron, XPS, Latitude or Precision

Via Dell Chat: This is an option for customers with systems that are still under warranty. If you are out of warranty, please contact the U.S. Inspiron Technical Support phone number: 1-800-624-9896.

For customers outside the U.S. Please contact Dell via phone for support:

Via Phone Number:

• Go to support.dell.com
  • Choose your country or region from the drop-down list
  • Choose Contact Us
  • Choose Technical Support
  • Choose Call Technical Support

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I am from Australia.  I have a 9300 (shipped June 05) that started developing the vertical lines issue since late last year. The slowly increasing number of lines got over me in March 07 so I got in contact with Technical Support.  They arranged for an support agent to come and replace the LCD, no hassles and quite pleased.

However, within a month the lines start to appear again!  I have now got about 20 lines and have just lodged a request with Technical Support again.

I hope that the article above means that Dell finally know what the root cause is and would not continue to send out parts with the same issue...

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Does the DELL laptop Latitude D600 that displays a permanent color (red, green or yellow) vertical line warrant a replacement screen?

Thanks,

jfreej 

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I sent an email in to vertical_line@dell.com on May 1st after having recieved a letter from Dell stating I could get a refund for the screen I replaced that developed this problem.

I haven't recieved a reply yet...

I also tried calling the number refered to in the letter about 4 times and gave up in frustration when they people on the other end had no idea what I was talking about, even after I had given them the DSN mentioned in the letter.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I have a Dell Inspiron 510 M with 30 vertical lines on the LCD. 

That's 30 VERTICAL LINES !!!!

So in April Dell admitted to Dell Inspiron 9200, 9300 and Dell XPS Gen 2 notebooks, now in June they add Inspiron 6000 and 8600, Latitude D800 and D810 and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M60 and M70.

Maybe one day when I have no screen left and it's all a rainbow the Inspiron 510 M's will also be included.

Or I could just give up and buy a computer that's not from Dell.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Lionel,

Please address these serious concerns from these troubled customers, or at the very least make it known that their concerns have been met. It would be a shame to see more customers go because of faulty parts from bad suppliers. This obviously isn't the first time Dell has had trouble with faulty hardware from suppliers. Maybe the company should learn more from the experiences of the Sony battery recall and take ownership of these problems, even though it wasn't Dell who caused the faulty hardware in the first place.

It is a sad day for Dell when a customer can't have confidence in what the company sells them, no matter the benefits in initial cost for a system. Both the customer and the company lose, but the comapny loses much more. It loses the customer.

Remember: The customer experience is the most important!

Regards,
    John

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I tried submitting my questions too and still have not heard back from Dell.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Hi Folks,

I have an Inspiron 5000 from 02/2000 that first hat the line issue and then completely went black except for flickering pixels (in the line).

I am actually surprised that the problem has been there for such a long time.

Is there any chance that I get a replacement?

Regards,

Ulf
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

I am located in Singapore and my Inspirion 510m (bought sometime in June/July of 2005) developed 2 vertical lines within 2 years of use. I believe I am not the only one who has this problem, as I have seen other posts on 510m in this blog here previously. I am quite disappointed with the quality of Dell's product and their refusal to acknowledge the problem reflects their service level of their customer support.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I have a Latitude D420 that has just developed a problem where a single pixel vertical line is showing up about 2 inches from right side of display. I see that Dell are acknowledging issues with 17" LCD, has any one else had issues with the smaller displays
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I had about 19 vertical lines on my Inspiron, which shipped in 8/05.  I followed the Dell Chat link above and in less than a week a tech came to my house to replace the screen free of charge.  It would've been even faster but the first screen that Dell sent was damaged in delivery.  I can't believe how fast and easy this was.  Dell really stepped up the the plate on this one.  Thanks, Dell.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Could you please post the part numbers of the faulty components? I have a Insp 6400 with this problem, and was just told today by some Indian that it was not part of the recall. I would like to compare my part numbers to those found to be faulty as I am sure this model also suffers from the same defects.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Well, a 3rd line just appeared on my Dell 510m... Now I have one orange line, one pink line and one green line. Soon, a rainbow is going to form...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I hope 9400 get included to list someday because now i got 2 more lines(a blue and a purple, in total 6 lines) showing up at any moment. I post a message at the blog of vertical line issue before this one and I post again letting you know that the problem got worse. Its been almost 1.5 month trying to notify about my problem to Dell but no one wont help me. Ill stay in touch with this blog at anything that would help me, Thanks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

I just wish Dell would acknowledge that this problem extends to the Inspiron 510m.  I guess all Dell is doing is waiting until they are out of the 3 year period and then they will say, "oh yeah, sorry there was a problem with the 510m but you should have let us know sooner"  I have had no luck with Dell so I guess the next option is to take it to consumer affairs.  I think the simlarities between what is happening to my 510m and other Dell laptops will be obvious enough to a magistrate.  Pity Dell couldn't settle this issue for all owners of faulty Dell computers before it has to go to court.............

PS Have a look at the photos of the vertical lines see if the Dell Inspiron 510m isn't affected then

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Hi have a look at my photos and see if you can honestly say, (without your nose getting longer) that the Inspiron 510m isn't affected by the vertical line issue
  • I am from Australia.  I have a 9300 (shipped June 05) that started developing the vertical lines issue since late last year. The slowly increasing number of lines got over me in March 07 so I got in contact with Technical Support.  They arranged for an support agent to come and replace the LCD, no hassles and quite pleased.

However, within a month the lines start to appear again!  I have now got about 20 lines and have just lodged a request with Technical Support again.

I hope that the article above means that Dell finally know what the root cause is and would not continue to send out parts with the same issue...

• Does the DELL laptop Latitude D600 that displays a permanent color (red, green or yellow) vertical line warrant a replacement screen?

Thanks,

jfreej 

• I sent an email in to vertical_line@dell.com on May 1st after having recieved a letter from Dell stating I could get a refund for the screen I replaced that developed this problem.

I haven't recieved a reply yet...

I also tried calling the number refered to in the letter about 4 times and gave up in frustration when they people on the other end had no idea what I was talking about, even after I had given them the DSN mentioned in the letter.

• I have a Dell Inspiron 510 M with 30 vertical lines on the LCD. 

That's 30 VERTICAL LINES !!!!

So in April Dell admitted to Dell Inspiron 9200, 9300 and Dell XPS Gen 2 notebooks, now in June they add Inspiron 6000 and 8600, Latitude D800 and D810 and Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M60 and M70.

Maybe one day when I have no screen left and it's all a rainbow the Inspiron 510 M's will also be included.

Or I could just give up and buy a computer that's not from Dell.

• Lionel,

Please address these serious concerns from these troubled customers, or at the very least make it known that their concerns have been met. It would be a shame to see more customers go because of faulty parts from bad suppliers. This obviously isn't the first time Dell has had trouble with faulty hardware from suppliers. Maybe the company should learn more from the experiences of the Sony battery recall and take ownership of these problems, even though it wasn't Dell who caused the faulty hardware in the first place.

It is a sad day for Dell when a customer can't have confidence in what the company sells them, no matter the benefits in initial cost for a system. Both the customer and the company lose, but the comapny loses much more. It loses the customer.

Remember: The customer experience is the most important!

Regards,
    John

• I tried submitting my questions too and still have not heard back from Dell.
  • Hi Folks,

I have an Inspiron 5000 from 02/2000 that first hat the line issue and then completely went black except for flickering pixels (in the line).

I am actually surprised that the problem has been there for such a long time.

Is there any chance that I get a replacement?

Regards,

Ulf
  • I am located in Singapore and my Inspirion 510m (bought sometime in June/July of 2005) developed 2 vertical lines within 2 years of use. I believe I am not the only one who has this problem, as I have seen other posts on 510m in this blog here previously. I am quite disappointed with the quality of Dell's product and their refusal to acknowledge the problem reflects their service level of their customer support.

• I have a Latitude D420 that has just developed a problem where a single pixel vertical line is showing up about 2 inches from right side of display. I see that Dell are acknowledging issues with 17" LCD, has any one else had issues with the smaller displays
  • I had about 19 vertical lines on my Inspiron, which shipped in 8/05.  I followed the Dell Chat link above and in less than a week a tech came to my house to replace the screen free of charge.  It would've been even faster but the first screen that Dell sent was damaged in delivery.  I can't believe how fast and easy this was.  Dell really stepped up the the plate on this one.  Thanks, Dell.
  • Could you please post the part numbers of the faulty components? I have a Insp 6400 with this problem, and was just told today by some Indian that it was not part of the recall. I would like to compare my part numbers to those found to be faulty as I am sure this model also suffers from the same defects.
  • Well, a 3rd line just appeared on my Dell 510m... Now I have one orange line, one pink line and one green line. Soon, a rainbow is going to form...
  • I hope 9400 get included to list someday because now i got 2 more lines(a blue and a purple, in total 6 lines) showing up at any moment. I post a message at the blog of vertical line issue before this one and I post again letting you know that the problem got worse. Its been almost 1.5 month trying to notify about my problem to Dell but no one wont help me. Ill stay in touch with this blog at anything that would help me, Thanks.
  • I just wish Dell would acknowledge that this problem extends to the Inspiron 510m.  I guess all Dell is doing is waiting until they are out of the 3 year period and then they will say, "oh yeah, sorry there was a problem with the 510m but you should have let us know sooner"  I have had no luck with Dell so I guess the next option is to take it to consumer affairs.  I think the simlarities between what is happening to my 510m and other Dell laptops will be obvious enough to a magistrate.  Pity Dell couldn't settle this issue for all owners of faulty Dell computers before it has to go to court.............

PS Have a look at the photos of the vertical lines see if the Dell Inspiron 510m isn't affected then

• Hi have a look at my photos and see if you can honestly say, (without your nose getting longer) that the Inspiron 510m isn't affected by the vertical line issue