Goodbye, Axim

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Goodbye, Axim

First off, sorry for the delay on this. In addition to recent coverage by blogs like Engadget, jkOnTheRun and others, I’ve gotten a few e-mails and a comment from Direct2Dell reader David H. Deans who’ve asked me to confirm whether we’ve discontinued the Axim line or not. The answer is yes, we have.

I’d like to say thanks to all the folks like David and Chris Leckness for their interest in the products. For the 4 years we were in the handheld market, we made many friends and had a blast developing and shipping products to serve different needs.

Update: Just realized that I did not link to Aximsite.com in my original post. It is the site that Chris created and administered since 2002. He did an awesome job building a community of folks that were passionate about Axims and Pocket PC devices in general. Thanks again, man.

Why did we make the decision? Because of a steadily declining market for pen-based PDAs and noted over the past several quarters by analyst firms like IDC and Gartner.

Even though we’re not selling them anymore, we still have plans to support our customers. Dell will provide technical and warranty support for Axim and Dell-branded Axim peripherals per the terms defined in the support agreement and limited warranty agreements at the time of purchase.

We also to offer batteries, power cables, AC adapters and sync cable customer kits for the Axim X51/X51v through 2009. All other Dell-branded Axim X51/X51v peripherals are expected to be available through mid-2007 or while supplies last.

Thanks again to all our customers who made the Axim line successful for the last few years.

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• WhatsUpDell: Thanks for the kind words.

Currently, I can say there's no plans for any kind of follow-on product using new technologies. Of course, if that changes, I'll blog about it here.

Lots of us here within Dell really liked the Axim line and are also sad to see it go. Personally, I used an X30 for long time, also had a X50v for the VGA screen... would have been great to see an Axim with a hard drive.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I'm really sad to see this line discontinued.  The Axim x30 series has met my needs for the past few years. I use it for standard PDA functions, as well as playing mobile games, watching movies and tv shows I record and convert for ppc, wireless network troubleshooting, and so much more.

Very few PDA-like Windows Mobile devices have affordably employed 624Mhz XScale processors, along with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, not to mention decent battery performance. I would have liked to see the post-X51 series very much. 

Seeing as how sales were declining, and cellular mobile devices are obviously replacing the PDA, perhaps we can hope for a new line, based on the Axim fundamentals, which includes the newer technologies, without losing what makes the Axim line so useful. Any chance there Lionel?

Dell, thanks for having brought the Axim line to us in the first place. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Will an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 be provided when it's released?

Also, is there any hope of Dell releasing tech specs so the development community can get to developing a working Linux distribution for it? :)

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

So what is Jack Bauer going to use to stay in synch with Chloe?  In case you haven't noticed it, the CTU on the tv show 24 has made extensive use of Axims for it's agents in the field.

I have had an X5 and and X51v and have loved their day to day practicality and performance.  Although I don't fight terrorists, everything I have done has been run through my Axim at some point.  From listening to interent radio, reading the paper in the local coffee shop, keeping up with my daughters and my favorite sports teams, and

Thanks for the great run and here's to finding out how long the thing will run without support.  Thanks also to the folks at www.aximsite.com for all the great insights and problem solving.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Now you've mentioned Aximsite... say there won't be a WM6 so they won't argue about it for another month :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

Thanks for confirming this news, although it's sad news. By the way, could you confirm anything about the possibility of a WM6 update for the x51v? It's been the focus of a lot of rumoring, and it would be great to have an official version. I think it would be a good final update for the x51v. Also, I read somewhere that Microsoft gives free updates for hardware distributors for WM6, I don't know if that would apply in this case.

Please, if possible, give us some kind of answer on this matter.

Thanks!!!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

I would be interested in a WM6 upgrade for my Axim X51V... it is the mainstay of my diary management between personal and work pcs and while commuting (it's a lot easier to open up an Axim on a cramped long-haul commuter bus than a 15.4 inch screen laptop).

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I can't for sure say yes or no on the WM6 upgrade, however Microsoft has stated that they are only offering a free WM6 ROM update to manufacturers of phone-based PDA devices. I'm not sure how much that would discourage Dell from acquiring the necessary licensing and providing the update to the end user. I don't have a link to a specific article regarding the free update, however they're quite abundant with a Google search.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I just bought an Axim 51V, i wonder if i coulp purchase acessories for my device after the buy? And the complete care? Can i buy an 3 years complete care?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I work for a university observatory, and we have been developing
    software to use the Axim as a smart, wireless hand control for
    our new telescope.  We are still in development, but so far the
    Axim has been a very useful tool for us.  Maybe we should
    buy a couple spares while we can.  I also use one myself for
    more ordinary purposes.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    My x51v was recently stolen; thank goodness I was able to get a new one before they were discontinued.  Boy, I think it was shortsighted to give up on the line, but I guess that's the way it goes some times.  Oh well...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous
    There will be no such update. A Dutch site posted two weeks ago already on Dell leaving the PDA market and they had Dell in the Netherlands confirm this and also asked wether there was to be a WM6 update. Dell told them there wouldn´t be.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous

Thanks for making the x51v.  It still is the best pda in the world. I guess that it is good to retire when the axim x51v while it is the undisputed handheld champion of the world.

The axim sets the standard for all the other brands...........

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

Sorry to see that the Axim is being discontinued. I have used various Pocket PC's and Palm devices over the years. Although I primarily used Ipaqs, I was quite impressed with the Axim.

Does Dell plan on introducing any UMPC models or smartphones to remain in the mobile market? I know HP has struggled with it's Ipaq 6000 series phone and is finding it difficult to compete with Moto, Palm or HTC but I think there are still many opportunities. Is Dell going to enter this market as it continues to grow?

• Anonymous
    Anonymous
    I hope you can clear up the windows mobile 6 upgrade. I would like to get if possible
  • WhatsUpDell: Thanks for the kind words.

Currently, I can say there's no plans for any kind of follow-on product using new technologies. Of course, if that changes, I'll blog about it here.

Lots of us here within Dell really liked the Axim line and are also sad to see it go. Personally, I used an X30 for long time, also had a X50v for the VGA screen... would have been great to see an Axim with a hard drive.

• I'm really sad to see this line discontinued.  The Axim x30 series has met my needs for the past few years. I use it for standard PDA functions, as well as playing mobile games, watching movies and tv shows I record and convert for ppc, wireless network troubleshooting, and so much more.

Very few PDA-like Windows Mobile devices have affordably employed 624Mhz XScale processors, along with both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, not to mention decent battery performance. I would have liked to see the post-X51 series very much. 

Seeing as how sales were declining, and cellular mobile devices are obviously replacing the PDA, perhaps we can hope for a new line, based on the Axim fundamentals, which includes the newer technologies, without losing what makes the Axim line so useful. Any chance there Lionel?

Dell, thanks for having brought the Axim line to us in the first place. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

• Will an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 be provided when it's released?

Also, is there any hope of Dell releasing tech specs so the development community can get to developing a working Linux distribution for it? :)

• So what is Jack Bauer going to use to stay in synch with Chloe?  In case you haven't noticed it, the CTU on the tv show 24 has made extensive use of Axims for it's agents in the field.

I have had an X5 and and X51v and have loved their day to day practicality and performance.  Although I don't fight terrorists, everything I have done has been run through my Axim at some point.  From listening to interent radio, reading the paper in the local coffee shop, keeping up with my daughters and my favorite sports teams, and

Thanks for the great run and here's to finding out how long the thing will run without support.  Thanks also to the folks at www.aximsite.com for all the great insights and problem solving.

• Now you've mentioned Aximsite... say there won't be a WM6 so they won't argue about it for another month :)
  • Thanks for confirming this news, although it's sad news. By the way, could you confirm anything about the possibility of a WM6 update for the x51v? It's been the focus of a lot of rumoring, and it would be great to have an official version. I think it would be a good final update for the x51v. Also, I read somewhere that Microsoft gives free updates for hardware distributors for WM6, I don't know if that would apply in this case.

Please, if possible, give us some kind of answer on this matter.

Thanks!!!

• I would be interested in a WM6 upgrade for my Axim X51V... it is the mainstay of my diary management between personal and work pcs and while commuting (it's a lot easier to open up an Axim on a cramped long-haul commuter bus than a 15.4 inch screen laptop).

• I can't for sure say yes or no on the WM6 upgrade, however Microsoft has stated that they are only offering a free WM6 ROM update to manufacturers of phone-based PDA devices. I'm not sure how much that would discourage Dell from acquiring the necessary licensing and providing the update to the end user. I don't have a link to a specific article regarding the free update, however they're quite abundant with a Google search.
  • I just bought an Axim 51V, i wonder if i coulp purchase acessories for my device after the buy? And the complete care? Can i buy an 3 years complete care?
  • I work for a university observatory, and we have been developing
    software to use the Axim as a smart, wireless hand control for
    our new telescope.  We are still in development, but so far the
    Axim has been a very useful tool for us.  Maybe we should
    buy a couple spares while we can.  I also use one myself for
    more ordinary purposes.

• My x51v was recently stolen; thank goodness I was able to get a new one before they were discontinued.  Boy, I think it was shortsighted to give up on the line, but I guess that's the way it goes some times.  Oh well...
  • There will be no such update. A Dutch site posted two weeks ago already on Dell leaving the PDA market and they had Dell in the Netherlands confirm this and also asked wether there was to be a WM6 update. Dell told them there wouldn´t be.
  • Thanks for making the x51v.  It still is the best pda in the world. I guess that it is good to retire when the axim x51v while it is the undisputed handheld champion of the world.

The axim sets the standard for all the other brands...........

• Sorry to see that the Axim is being discontinued. I have used various Pocket PC's and Palm devices over the years. Although I primarily used Ipaqs, I was quite impressed with the Axim.

Does Dell plan on introducing any UMPC models or smartphones to remain in the mobile market? I know HP has struggled with it's Ipaq 6000 series phone and is finding it difficult to compete with Moto, Palm or HTC but I think there are still many opportunities. Is Dell going to enter this market as it continues to grow?

• I hope you can clear up the windows mobile 6 upgrade. I would like to get if possible