Making a Virtual Connection

Direct2Dell

The Official Dell Corporate Blog

Making a Virtual Connection

I was recently reminded of one of the two things that makes Second Life such an interesting placeā€”the ability to interact with people from around the globe while feeling like you are in the same place, and the power of SL Groups to bring people together.

Thanks to Linda Zimmer, aka ZnetLady Isbell, and her creation of the Second Life Business Communciators Group, I was recently able to meet Munich Express, also known as Achim Muellers, Head of Brand Relations and Cooperations at BMW, at BMW's SL island for a discussion with several other group members.  Munich was kind enough to chat with us about what BMW has built in SL and what plans they have for the site.  Here's a snapshot of the gathering: BMW and Dell share a similar goal of finding new ways to interact with our customers and other Second Life residents.

We've been percolating a few ideas of our own for ways to make Dell Island more interactive.  It may not be visible yet, but some new additions are on the way.  Possibilities we've been looking at include a way for SL residents to participate in our new Plant a Tree for Me program and a store for Electronics and Accessories.  But, I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas out there, too.  If you'd like to toss yours into the hat, please do so here.  I can't promise you that we'll be able to implement them all, but maybe we can do some of them.

And, next time you're in Second Life, take a moment to search the Groups section to see what interesting people it can help you meet.  When you find a Group that interests you, highlight the name in the result list and click "Join".  There's a Dell Group there, of course, through which we'll be able to communicate our upcoming additions once they're ready for you to check out!

To post a comment login or create an account

Comment Reminder

Unrelated comments or requests for service will be unpublished. Please post your technical questions in the Support Forums or for direct assistance contact Dell Customer Service or Dell Technical Support.. All comments must adhere to the Dell Community Terms of Use.

• Hi, Laura!  I agree connecting with people-as-avatars is the best part of Second Life - and I'm delighted you found the meeting with Munich interesting. 

Your upcoming plans sound intriguing.  I look forward to the news!  Best of  luck with them!

• MSG Dale Buck: Glad the Dell notebook served you well, and that you  escaped injury yourself. Thanks again for sharing.
  • I should have sent this story to you much earlier, but I forgot at every turn.

I was in Iraq 2003 thru 2004, and on one specific day as I was driving my HMMWV down Main Supply Route "Tampa" I was hit by an IED blowing the back half of the truck off and it all caught on fire. At a moment of sluggish thought due to the concussion of the blast, I remembered my Dell lap top computer the Army issued me. I reched through, what used to be the rear passenger compartment, and pulled the lap top out of the flames, and of course, it was very hot. After I got my collective thoughts together and time passed with help arriving, I thought I better assess the damage to the computer. As I opened it up, the screen and keys were in-tact, and when I hit the start button, the thing actually functioned as if nothing had occurred! Amazed, I continued to use this scared, nasty looking laptop for the duration of the tour and turned it in on my last day. It was such a mess that the officer they were going to issue it to refused it so it went to another Sergeant on the line some place. I hope it had brought him luck as it did me! A truely marvelous machine that took and extreme beating and continued to function, as did I, as I was not injured in the blast.

• Herb: Wow.... Thanks for telling your story. Hate to hear about a bad motorcycle accident, but glad your Blackberry and your Inspiron didn't let you down.

Dell has no plans to enter the motorcycle market. :)

• Dale - great story.  I have one about laptop durability that's not nearly as heroic as yours but I think it's pretty good.  In May '06 I was in a nasty motorcycle accident.  I had my helmet, jeans and boots on but no gloves or jacket.  I was wearing my Dell laptop in a sweet dell backpack and I had my Blackberry on my hip.  I received a bad laceration to one of my legs, got a bad cut in my shoulder and lots of road-rash; my Roadstar Warrior was totalled.  I was able to call 911 on my blackberry and took my backpack with me in the ambulance.  When I woke up after surgery, I pulled my Inspiron out and was pleased to be able to watch DVDs while I recovered...  Too bad my bike wasn't a Dell...